Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

UNICHIP and the 350Z HUGE power gains

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 02:54 AM
APS
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mchapman
Originally posted by APS
Mate I have plenty of base line power readings from stock Z cars (on 98 RON fuel) that's why I find these power claims really strange. I have a real good idea what's going on here though I will keep to to myself until I have more time to investigate. By the way if you don't hold/tie the car down well on the dyno you can easily get a false power reading (high power measurement) and this false power measurement can be up to 15kW's at the tyres. As a matter of interest what do you guys think the stock power is for a Z car on a DD dynamometer.

Peter

APS

Obviously the people tuning a 350z TT would have baselines but you said yourself you didnt have a baseline of the car you tested with the HT exhaust? That is what I was refering to.
Well that's correct I don't have a base power graph of the Z in question though if the 15 kW power figure is correct for the H/T cat back system then the base power figure would have to be 138 kW's for the stock Z car, which seems a very low power figure.

Peter

APS
Old 06-23-2004, 03:02 AM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True, either way though you shouldnt be worried as your exhaust still beat the HT in a direct comparison. It will be interesting to see if you bring any other information to the table about this issue.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:10 AM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by mchapman
True, either way though you shouldnt be worried as your exhaust still beat the HT in a direct comparison. It will be interesting to see what you find.
No problem I will let you know when I get additional information that I am 100% sure of..................looks like I will need to test many more Z cars to verify accurate repeatable power measurements. Maybe there's a larger power variance from engine to engine than we all think, or there are lots of inaccurate dyno measurements happening............either is possible I guess.

Peter

APS
Old 06-23-2004, 03:11 AM
ypwpat

Btw where is the the Right hand drive ECU located? Is it on Passanger side?
the US spec is located on passanger side.

Peace

Last edited by ypwpat; 06-23-2004 at 03:15 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:48 AM
harryw

Drivers side RHS of footwell. If you look in the footwell you will see a little cover that comes off.

As always

H
Old 06-23-2004, 03:53 AM
MR RIZK

Peter,

Any comments on my questions on page 2 ?
Old 06-23-2004, 03:58 AM
ypwpat

Originally posted by harryw
Drivers side RHS of footwell. If you look in the footwell you will see a little cover that comes off.

As always

H
Thanks i guess removing our ECU is easier than the US people
Old 06-23-2004, 04:13 AM
malcolm

The ECU is located on the passenger side just behind and to the left of the cup-holder. I have already had mine out.

Slide out the cup-holder by depressing the plastic clip at the top, undo the 10mm bolt behind the cup holder and unclip the lower plastic dash panel. The ECU is directly behind there. It is a 10 minute job. at most, to remove it.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Z350Lover

thanks malcolm!!! does not seem to be too hard at all!!!

APS:

As we all know that the automatic version Zed has its fuel cut set to 7000 rpm, do you think we can raise the manual version zed's fuel cut to 7000 rpm as well? I wouldn't think there is any difference on both man. and auto. engines, correct?

How safe do you think it is to be done at 7000 rpm?

Thanks!

cheers,

richie
Old 06-23-2004, 08:14 PM
APS
Banned

Hi Guys,

Here’s a dyno graph showing power and torque at the wheels of a manual 350Z track model (running on 98 RON fuel) which was stock except for a HT exhaust. Note the peak power 154 kW.

The same engine with the HT exhaust was then fitted with a Unichip computer. As you can see from the graph, the torque and power improved dramatically across the entire RPM range. A peak power increase of 12 kW, over the exhaust fitment only. What was particularly impressive was the torque gain from below 2,000 RPM through to redline.

Peter

APS
Old 06-23-2004, 09:34 PM
nuff

Peter, did you advence timing so the cars can only be used with 98RON fuel instead of just normal premium?
Old 06-23-2004, 09:38 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by nuff
Peter, did you advence timing so the cars can only be used with 98RON fuel instead of just normal premium?
No the ignition timing was stock (how do you advance the timing on the stock computer) as delivered from Nissan to the best of my Knowledge.

Peter

APS
Old 06-23-2004, 10:33 PM
DavidM

did you advence timing so the cars can only be used with 98RON fuel instead of just normal premium?

Nuff, I keep on repeating this, but the manual that came with my Zed states that the Australian and Japanese Zeds need 98RON fuel. That would lead me to believe that ity is already tuned for 98RON.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:41 PM
nuff

the manual that came with my zed, i think says that you can you the any premium and in emergency half/half of unleaded and premium. I'll double check the manual tonight.

I also have talked to Peter and he told me that if I use 98 RON I should be able to advence the timing by 4 degrees.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:08 PM
zuff

I have to agree with David here. My manual says 98 octane fuel.

Peter (APS) thanks for the dyno chart. That is a fine improvement although the numbers are strangely low for your stock car.
Are all the cars in Melb that you are putting on the dyno working out to be around those figures?
Old 06-23-2004, 11:23 PM
apsilon

Originally posted by zuff
Peter (APS) thanks for the dyno chart. That is a fine improvement although the numbers are strangely low for your stock car.
Don't forget different dynos will generally read differently. The important thing is to use the same dyno for before and after comparison and to look at the gain as a percentage.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:34 PM
mchapman

Good work on the dyno.

Wonder how it would look with some hi flow cats and K&N drop in?

What factors are the Unichip managing?

Does it have control over the CVTCS system?
Old 06-23-2004, 11:34 PM
zuff

But even the % increases are out...

still the Unichip looks great on the car they are testing. ^^^ looks at credit card and ponders whether a unichip is the way to go!
Old 06-23-2004, 11:36 PM
mchapman

Zuff

How is the percentage increase out? There isnt a stock map there to judge the gain over stock compared to the HiTech? And no one else has a Unichip installed?
Old 06-24-2004, 12:05 AM
zuff

I'm not talking about the unichip, this is in reply to Apsilon.

Maybe it makes sense if i type this.

[sarcasm]
But even the % increases are out...[/sarcasm]

Just making fun of the differences in what Peter from APS got from stock to Hi-tech exhaust. Well what he reckon he got!

Quick Reply: UNICHIP and the 350Z HUGE power gains