Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

UNICHIP and the 350Z HUGE power gains

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 11:21 PM
ypwpat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Murray. I think, those dyno figure have given u the idea.

The first Dyno that david went compare to APS Dyno is about 8 rwkw differeces.
So i guess you can just take 8rwkw on the first dyno as well.

Therefore Stock Dyno = 148 rwkw (First Dyno) - 8 rwkw = 140 rwkw on APS Dyno

I think that should work

Last edited by ypwpat; 06-25-2004 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:06 AM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by ypwpat
Cool great to hear. So how long is the Long term Reliability test? 100km?

The testing program started many months ago across a number of Z cars (4 Z cars in total) and the Unichip fitted to davids car is on loan to achieve some additional kms of testing as his Z car does many Kms every week,

No offence intended though Why don't you just ask the question if you want to know how long the Unichip has been tested for in the Z car rather than making a funny comment.

Peter

APS
Old 06-26-2004, 01:13 AM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yun,

There would be some margin of error as we dont know exactly what caused the differences or to what extent that issue affects the results, it could get larger as the kw go up or smaller, but yeah that might give some idea.

Using that logic with a 7.5kw difference accross the board,

Base Estimate, original base minus the 7.5difference: 140.6kw
HT: 155kw
HT + Unichip: 166kw

Thats a 14.4kw gain from the HiTech. So the Unichip gain should feel a little smaller than the HT gain.

David is this what it felt like?
Old 06-26-2004, 05:13 AM
ZZZ-35

mchapman

Firstly I'm sorry I did'nt word it more clearly, secondly I think you guys are trying to read to much into this it's pretty basic.

Mileage 8000k's 2003

HT fitted

Std = 148.1kW dynoed @ Swift Automotive 13 /08/03
HT = 162.5kW dynoed @ Swift Automotive 13/08/03

HT = 14.6kW gain

Mileage 28000k's 2004

Unichip fitted

HT only = 155kW as dyno @ APS
HT + Unichip = 166kW as dyno @ APS

Unichip = 11kW gain

These are the only relevant figures, the 14.6kw increase was measured on the Swift Automotive dyno where I had the exhaust fitted and the 11kw increase was measured on APS dyno where the Unchip was fitted.

Therefore 14.6kW + 11kW = 25.6kW increase in total to the wheels and that is all that matters to me, not whether the total dyno figure measures 166kw at APS or 173.5kw if measured on the Swift Autos dyno. Which dyno is more accurate, I think the newer APS one is with its regular recalibration and updated software is more beliveable, after all the dyno is an aid to tuning. The only way to find which forum members car has the most power is to have them all dynoed on the same dyno on the same day and even then you may get a slight difference if the cars done in the morning get the colder part of the day.

The reason that the Unichip worked so well IMO is because of the better free flowing exhaust, maybe just the Unichip as the only modification you would not see such a large gain, but if you have mods that let the engine breath better this is the opion that makes perfect sense. We have seen in the US that TechnoSquare made only around 9hp on a stock car and that required reflahing of the ECU, make mods send it back reflash, somethink not right send it back reflash, I think you can see that this option (Unichip) is tuned to the car with its particular mods and the fuel of the area where it runs.

Yes the gains I can feel in the car are simular to the HT but more across the whole rpm range whereas the HT was more toward the higher rpm's.

I hope this make it clearer for everyone and in the end, you and only you has to be happy with the results and I am.

David

Last edited by ZZZ-35; 06-26-2004 at 05:16 AM.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:29 AM
zuff

David I couldn't agree more. You are right on the money that to get the most out of the Unichip you'll NEED a good exhaust and imho even address the intake with a POD and possibly plenum. At minimum you MUST change that crappy stock exhaust.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:56 PM
frosty

Bloody hell - all this verbage and calculations and stuff -

Somebody just scan the dyno sheets and lets see the facts that COUNT -

ie - the torque and hp (kw) gains AND WHERE THEY OCCUR AND OVER WHAT OPERATING RANGE.

Even a 20kw gain is not going to be of much use if it's @ 6000rpm but at the cost of a broad loss elsewhere.

FRIZZLE
Old 06-26-2004, 05:56 PM
mchapman

Absolutly, without the exhaust first you wouldnt have gotten anywhere near those gains. Thats the benefit of most piggyback ECUs. The ability to tune in and get the most out of your aftermarket mods.

Frosty they have already been posted.

Last edited by mchapman; 06-26-2004 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:57 PM
mchapman

Stock vs HiTech
Attached Thumbnails UNICHIP and the 350Z HUGE power gains-stock-ht.jpg  

Last edited by mchapman; 06-26-2004 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:00 PM
ypwpat

ummm murray those graph are Unichip+ hitech Vs Stock. I think
Old 06-26-2004, 06:05 PM
mchapman

The server was being a *****.

HiTech vs HiTech & Unichip
Attached Thumbnails UNICHIP and the 350Z HUGE power gains-ht_unichip.gif  
Old 06-27-2004, 05:42 PM
APS
Banned

Hey Guys, we have tested two 350 Z cars today which have H/T exhaust systems and the results are,

1) 159 kW's

2) 162 kW's

Both of the dyno tests were conducted approx 1/2 hour apart and are slightly higher than the original 350 Z car we tested with the H/T exhaust system.

Peter

APS
Old 06-27-2004, 06:16 PM
DavidM

2) 162 kW's

Yep, that was my car, and I can also validate the other car (ie. 159kW) as Iw as there while that car was dynoed.

ps.
Peter too me for a spin in the twin-Turbo 350Z that they've got there and that car is crazy fast. It feels like it accelerated in 3rd and 4th gear about as hard as my car does in 1st and 2nd. Peter tells me that they have run it at Winton and managed a time almost 9sec quicker than what I could do (on roughly the same tyres). That is a huge improvement. That is quicker than what a 911 GT2, 911 Turbo or a Gallardo would do.

Though, not only was the car fast, it seemed to have no problem putting it to the road and the car seemed to drive just like a stock car (ie. no evil monster) ... seemed very drivable indeed.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:23 PM
MR RIZK

Sigh....

Jealous, Any jobs going at APS for a Senior Network Engineer ?
Old 06-27-2004, 06:33 PM
zuff

lol...what's a SNE going to do at APS except perve at the cars?
Old 06-27-2004, 07:02 PM
sundog

Mine was the 159kw reading and I went for a ride in the TT Z as well. I think my stomach is still in the car somewhere, I've had this empty sensation ever since I got out of it. It's un-nerving doing high speed passes, sitting on the RHS and no steering wheel in front of you (US Track). Kind of like one of those bad dreams you get occasionally.

Peter seemed like a stand up guy, certainly knew his stuff and his premises are pretty impressive. We'll have to wait & see what happens next regarding the sale of the chip I suppose.

Jim
Old 06-27-2004, 07:41 PM
apsilon

Originally posted by sundog
It's un-nerving doing high speed passes, sitting on the RHS and no steering wheel in front of you (US Track).
LOL, that would be strange. What you need to do is find a street with a lot of pedestrians so you can lean fully out the window and wave both hands aroud while screaming HELP ME while Peter weaves the car around.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:54 PM
mchapman

LOL, As much as I would have liked to go for a ride in that car, the only thing that could come from it would be me feeling mighty dissappointed on the way home or until I get RX3 13BT

Last edited by mchapman; 06-27-2004 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:33 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by DavidM
2) 162 kW's

Yep, that was my car, and I can also validate the other car (ie. 159kW) as Iw as there while that car was dynoed.

ps.
Peter too me for a spin in the twin-Turbo 350Z that they've got there and that car is crazy fast.

Though, not only was the car fast, it seemed to have no problem putting it to the road and the car seemed to drive just like a stock car (ie. no evil monster) ... seemed very drivable indeed.
Hey glad you enjoyed the quick blast.................shame we only had such a short drive ............I did not even get to frighten you or myself............maybe next time.

Thanks again for making your Z available so we could collect some additional power data.

Peter

APS
Old 06-27-2004, 09:42 PM
ZZZ-35

DavidM & sundog

Yep I've had that honor or should I say horror ride (it's terrifyingly fast) in the TT, it was a 1hr drive out in the hillsides of Melbourne a few days ago. Firstly I thought what's the big fuss abount it run just like the standard car except for the exhaust note (which is sweet), the car/beast runs along in 5th and 6th at 60km/h up hills with ease. We turned left into a road with about a 30% incline Peter floors it and holy sh#t all hell breaks loose I'm push back into the seat like a sledge hammer has hit me in the chest, crack goes the exhaust as it hits the limiter bang in the chest again as Peter shifts into second the car is headed for the stars at this rate, where in third the roundabout up ahead looms fast on goes the brakes were through bang on goes the power. This is one very quick car the TT has transform it, it's become a very quick point to point, it not longer feels heavy and slow to pick up speed and all for less an AUS$100,00.00 I was lucky enough to drive it for awhile and boy its fun, I want one now.
On the drive home my car felt slow like I had left the hand brake on, it's gonna be a long wait until the end of Sept.

Great work APS

David

Last edited by ZZZ-35; 06-27-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:47 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by sundog
Mine was the 159kw reading and I went for a ride in the TT Z as well. I think my stomach is still in the car somewhere, I've had this empty sensation ever since I got out of it. It's un-nerving doing high speed passes, sitting on the RHS and no steering wheel in front of you (US Track). Kind of like one of those bad dreams you get occasionally.

Jim
Hey Jim, Thanks again for bringing your Z car into APS for some dyno testing (the 159 kW reading seems to be a reasonable number for an engine with that exhaust mod and kms on the odo) it was greatly appreciated by myself.

Hope you enjoyed the little blast in the APS TT Z car............and that you feel better soon................know what you mean it's kind of weird sitting in the right hand side of the car for the 1st time..............particularly at fairly rapid speed..............see you soon and good luck on your trip.

Regards

Peter

Quick Reply: UNICHIP and the 350Z HUGE power gains