Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Almost a Track Owner!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 01:17 AM
Bouncin' BOoya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahhh.. so there are few pre-z owners who drove magnas.. lol

well, that makes

WhiteZed
KY350 and soon to be Bouncin' BOoya as magna owners before seeing the light of the Zed

hahah.. must be a global transformation from FWD Magnas to luxury RWD Zeds.. haha.. go the Magnas!! haha
Old 10-05-2004, 01:23 AM
WhiteZed

my magna was cool when i had it

then when i got the zed

hmmm

i was excited.....

cant compair it booya !!!!

have ya had any offers on the gold booya ???
Old 10-05-2004, 01:31 AM
Bouncin' BOoya

i have actually, but im not going to "give it away" if you know what i mean..

ill wait for the right time.. this guy in qld seems to be just wasting my time.. i want no less then 35k for it.. ive poured over 45K into this girl, and yer, anything under 35k and im pretty much giving it away!!! - and that i aint doing...

its sad to see what is a Z-Eater, get replaced with one. lol

how sad... lol.. but mmmm.. those lines of the Zed, and that front end...... just waiting for a **** FMIC like the original Booya i know it wants one! hahha
Old 10-05-2004, 01:31 AM
Bouncin' BOoya

sorry, double post...

anyone else notice that this forum is soooooooo god damn sloooooow??

must be low bandwith for the amount of users..

i might have to start up a AustralianZed forum

haha

Ben
Old 10-05-2004, 05:51 AM
WhiteZed

hey booya this forum is nothing compaired to the AMC forum

your lucky to get 3 new posts a day

unlike AMC where there would be at least 40 new posts a day

doesnt seem that slow to me.....

as for your fmic in your booya ...

i still dunno what to think

that was 1 huge ****
Old 10-06-2004, 12:45 AM
KY350

That was the BIGGEST fmic i have ever seen on a car. Did you ever consider a custom bar to allow air over the whole intercooler?
Still, with a cooler that large, probably didn't need a custom bar.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:09 AM
Bouncin' BOoya

Originally posted by KY350
That was the BIGGEST fmic i have ever seen on a car. Did you ever consider a custom bar to allow air over the whole intercooler?
Still, with a cooler that large, probably didn't need a custom bar.
we've flow tested it..

ill give you an example of some results we did by putting a temp guage at the inlet, outside temp, before and after the FMIC.

outside, inlet, before fmic, afterfmic (in plenum)
20-08-2004
set 1 midday; 31,38,40,25
set 2 late afternoon; 28,31,33,21
set 3 around midnight; 14,17,19,7
set 4 around midnight again; 12,15,16,3

buy measuring how much space is visable, how much is hidden against the actual size of the fmic, we have estimated that there is around 77% active area.

this is a pic without the front bumpter

whadda think!!
Old 10-07-2004, 01:11 AM
Bouncin' BOoya

oh, and those temp results were traveling at 100km/hour in 5th gear highway.

we traveled for 5km before getting an average of the readouts.
numbers displayed were the averages.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:24 AM
KY350

FMIC works!
Nothing like cooler temps to start with though.
I laugh every time I see a pic of that IC - a well hung Magna - hahahaha
Old 10-07-2004, 02:33 AM
Bouncin' BOoya

lol. a well hung magna that will prolly eat your zed!! haha.. not the point in this forum, cos im trading it up for one... gerrrr..
lol
Old 10-07-2004, 05:19 PM
scathing

Originally posted by Bouncin' BOoya
lol. a well hung magna that will prolly eat your zed!!
How did the thing go around corners?

Undoubtedly it went well in a straight line, but Z's are not straight line cars (which is funny considering who designed it). Bad weight distribution, not the optimal suspension geometry....

One of my friends went on a drive up some hilly roads with a guy that had a Magna with a worked Galant VR4 engine in it in a non-turbo Silvia. In the straights there was no contest, but once they hit the bends the Magna (that was making near triple the amount of power) got passed and left for dead.

Nice choice on the Z, but you'll find it a far different driving experience and require a much different driving style.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:10 AM
KY350

I suspect that some part of the $40K transformation of that Magna would have gone into suspension work. Though no amount of money could fix a bad weight distribution, not to mention wicked understeer, I'd guess it would take corners much better than a standard model.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:10 AM
Bouncin' BOoya

Originally posted by KY350
I suspect that some part of the $40K transformation of that Magna would have gone into suspension work. Though no amount of money could fix a bad weight distribution, not to mention wicked understeer, I'd guess it would take corners much better than a standard model.
yer, at least 2k went into suspension. was going to fit coilovers prior to announcement of sale.

the magna was very front axel weight bias'd, so the installation of the 90l fuel cell at the furtherest point of the vehicle managed to bring some of the weight back towards the rear end. yes, the FWD still understears under turning accelleration, but nowhere as bad when you've got 90-odd kg of fuel + fuel equipment in the boot. also by adding a 130 odd kg in the back when fully loaded, has improved in high speed stability, as the front bar and bonnet flow does have some effect on down force on the front end, while the weight in the back keeps the rear end down.

this isnt a car i just put together like lego. there was quite a bit of testing, studying MMAL technical documents and yer, this isnt a kit car.. a lot of money went into development. the boot/fuel system you see is one of three designes... bascally, the other two designs didnt work as well as this one. so at least 8k of the 40 spent was on "trial and error".. seriously, if you drove this car, its very well balanced!!!

Ben
Old 10-09-2004, 04:56 AM
scathing

You can do your best to mask things, but in the end the laws of physics are against you. No doubt you can drop new struts and springs, or even try to adjust the geometry with extra parts somewhat, but short of ripping the entire thing out and building it from the ground up there's no masking its people moving heritage.

Still, having that much mass on either side of the axle just increases the polar moment of inertia. That means even if the suspension is set up properly and the car will hold itself well in a sweeper, the weight distribution means the car doesn't like changing direction.

And adding more petrol means more weight, which further blunts performance.

The best suspension setup in the world can only work against that, whereas cars that don't have a big engine lumped up the front and a big fuel tank in the rear, can have their suspension spend more time on improving handling, feedback, and compliance rather than working against inherent handling faults to make the car drivable first.

No doubt your car handles better than most factory sedans that don't cost $150K, but in the end you're still going to get torque steer in a car that won't like the switchbacks.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:01 AM
DavidM

lol. a well hung magna that will prolly eat your zed!!

Have you ever taken that Magna to the track? If so, which one(s) and what lap-times did it manage?
Old 10-09-2004, 11:14 AM
scathing

Actually, you let me throw $40K worth of mods into my Z33 and then come play at Winton or Wakefield against the Magna.

Even $20K would pay for a full suspension re-jig, exhaust, cams, and an ECU remap. There might even be some left over for a flywheel and diff. While it wouldn't make the power of the turbo, on the track it would be an absolute weapon.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:13 PM
DavidM

Actually, you let me throw $40K worth of mods into my Z33 and then come play at Winton or Wakefield against the Magna.

I'd go as far as to say that it does not matter how much money you throw into a Magna, it will never be able to match 'traditional' sports-cars on the track ... in particular at Winton or Wakefield. I'd say that MX5s with $5k in mods will beat it around Winton.

I'd say a Zed with nothing but R-spec rubber will run circles around it on track like that.

That is pressuming that the Magna is not turned into a 'super tourer' kind of car, and that it retains most (if not all) of it's characteristics (ie. engine location, drive-train, wheelbase, track, weight etc). And even then justcompare it to the GTP Zed which can be 'replicated' for less around $10k.

ps. You don't need to spend much money to go fast in the straight-line. Afterall, look at those 10sec Civics ... some of them are not worth more than $15k. Or the 10sec RX7s- again, less than $15k in those cars.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:55 PM
LemanZ

Bouncin' BOoya, haha, really interest to know what kind of time your magna can managed in 400. If that things doing 12s to 13s, I would said once it hit the corner, the Zed will go pass. My friend also have a stock magna, I have droven in it once. the things is just go like a boat in stock form.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:18 AM
Bouncin' BOoya

geeeze guys,

cut me some slack. i never said my magna was a super tourer.

the whole point of this topic was to say ill be stepping into a zed. not bagging one out and try prove a magna supremmacy. sure put a few bends in a road, and im sure the the zed would gain some ground, butr my whole "that will prolly eat your zed!!" comment was purely based on kw per kw, kg vs kg.

living in the NT we are very disadvantaged NOT having a full 1/4 track, nor any kind of racing facility (outside of darwin, im in alice)... so IF i had the chance to do so, i WOULD infact like to ease my own mind and challenge my car on such grounds. but UNTIL the oppturnity occures where maybe the alice springs town councils closes sections of the highway and allow some racing ( hahaha as if) then im NOT going to, nor have i stated any kind of figures as far as 0-100km, 0-400m etc.

Point of topic. magna is going. zed is comming? cant you guys comprehend this? dispite which is faster, which looks better, which is modded or not. im crossing the boarder - Magna to Zed. some of you still cant see that, and think i came here to start sturring the pot.

Ben.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:36 AM
ypwpat

Take a chill pill ben, They just paying your Magna out so nothing personal.

Btw i wonder how much have you spent on your magna?

AU$30000?

Quick Reply: Almost a Track Owner!