Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Track pads database?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:34 AM
dnguyent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fluid1
Has anyone tried the Cobalt GTS? Made specifically for autox....
Thanks
I used it in back on OE non-brembos. They were fine for the track, but I don't know about autoX. I'd imagine Axxis Ultimates would be great if you can live with all the dusting.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by dnguyent
I used it in back on OE non-brembos. They were fine for the track, but I don't know about autoX. I'd imagine Axxis Ultimates would be great if you can live with all the dusting.

Well I only ask because this is the description on the website:

Description: Cobalt GT-Sport is a class-winning autocross compound exhibiting very good cold performance, strong/solid initial bite, linear pedal feel with excellent modulation, and high fade resistance. Along with its excellent performance, the GT-Sport compound is rotor friendly and has very good wear rates over a broad operating temperature range. For the serious autocross driver, the GT-Sport will let you take back the time under braking! Also suitable for spirited street driving (i.e. canyon and mountain drives, etc.) and novice to intermediate level HPDE events.

Cobalt GT-SPORT Dynamometer Graphs (coming soon!)
Technical Specifications: GTS

Temp Range - 50F - 1200F
Torque Curve - High

General Application - Club Racing, Autocross, RallyCross, HPDE
Professional Series Applications - N/A

Racing Type - Touring Car, Rally Car (Tarmac & Gravel)
Road Conditions - High to Low Grip Tarmac (Circuit), Gravel, DirtInitial Bite - Strong, Modulation and Release - Excellent
Pad Life - Sprint/Endurance Production - OEM Fitments and Race Fitments
Availability - Normal Production Compound
Axle Selection - Front and Rear

They sound very confident in these pads for my application. I was contemplating some XR2 front and XR3 rears, but this description is very much 'n me
Old 08-10-2007, 05:34 PM
tmak26b

Personal experience, I just didn't have great luck with those things. I ended up going back to the stockers for better feel
Old 08-11-2007, 03:19 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by tmak26b
Personal experience, I just didn't have great luck with those things. I ended up going back to the stockers for better feel
Could you possibly elaborate?
How was the initial bite? Any fade? What kind of impressions? (you know, like this thread is intended for....can you please? )
Old 08-11-2007, 04:40 AM
tmak26b

For autox, the pads have absolutely no initial bite. THey were definitely worse than stock. You really need some heat on these pads before they would perform.

For the track, it seems to work much better. I can get 5-10 laps before i would experience before fade on the track. Bite gets better as you have more heat.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:09 AM
daveh

Updated post #6
Old 08-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Morris

Manufacturer: Carbotech
Compound: AX6's
Operating temperature range: 150 - 1250 degrees F
Coefficient of friction: not known
Brake system: OEM Brembo
Application: AutoX & Novice HPDE
Price paid: About $300
Durability: Not to good under harsdh track conditions
Rotors friendliness: Somewhat

General impressions: High initial bite, good brake modulation, high fade resistance. Great for AutoX and probably okay for novice HPDE if the track is not hard on brakes. There website says not for ANY track use for cars higher than 3,00 lbs or more than 300 hp. I would have to agree with them. I ran them at CMP, which is known to be very hard on brakes. Pads performed fine, but the fronts are almost gone after 2 track days, 2Autox, and 1,000 street miles. I will try the XP8's next.

Last edited by Morris; 01-19-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:54 PM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Manufacturer: EBC
Compound: Yellow
Operating temperature range: 0-900 degrees F
Coefficient of friction: .5 nominal
Application: Open track 15-20min
Price paid: $95 shipped(front only)
Durability: Very little wear after 2 track days and 4k road use
Rotors friendliness: Great until I went out for over 20min and started over using the brakes because the tires were overheated.

General Impression: The only thing I have to compare them to is stock. No fade(140mph at end of Limerock straight), not a grabby pad(want to stop more push harder), works on the street( have only had them as low as 50 degrees outside temp) and of course the thing that no one reading this cares about less dust than stock. Side note they come with shims already in place and these pads are noise free as I followed the brake in directions as they also come with a coating to help brake in.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:39 PM
dmoffitt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manufacturer: Ferodo
Compound: DS3000
Application: PCA HPDE at NHIS
Durability: Seem to be lasting quite well
Rotors friendliness: Very

Overall they have a good bit less 'bite' than the HT10s but seem a lot more rotor friendly and also seem to last longer. I'd put them somewhere above an HP Plus and below a 'real' track pad like the HT10 / Blue (9012). Seems like you do have to get a bit of heat in them to get some bite - and when you DO get them hot, the release characteristics are a bit 'meh' - I had trouble at first getting a smooth release... could just be poor driving on my part tho. NHIS is tough on brakes - turn 3 is a 2nd gear turn after top of 3rd / mid 4th (depending on the car) - that and coming off the oval at turn 1 onto the chicane. After 4 sessions they didn't look all that worn, vs my Hawks which seemed to wear quickly.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:13 PM
DMK

Manufacturer: BHP
Compound: XPS
Brake system: Stoptech ST40
Application: Open Track @ Streets of Willow
Durability: Still new, so not sure.

Similar cold bite as Axxis Ultimates, which is pretty good for a track oriented pad. The BHP XPS line is marketed as dual use Street and Track pad. Rotor friendliness and durability are suppose to be very good. They dust as much as the Axxis ULT's, which doesn't really bother me. Cold bite is very good and they only get better as they heat up. They have a MOT of about 1100 deg F and avg. coefficient of friction at .46. They performed very well at the track, although this is not a very long course. No sign of fade throughout the day. I got these pads, because of the ability to run the pads without switching them out at every track event. So far, I am pleased with them. They worked great with my Michelin PS2's. I did smell the brakes once when I had to do a stop from 70 to almost 0 when a BMW M Coupe spun out in front of me.

Unfortunately, these pads are no longer produced. But, there are still some places where you can buy them from until their supply runs out. Comar Performance is one of them in Socal.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:21 AM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Originally Posted by Morris
Compound: AX6's
Operating temperature range: 150 - 1250 degrees F
Coefficient of friction: not known
Application: AutoX & Novice HPDE
Price paid: About $300
Durability: Not to good under harsdh track conditions
Rotors friendliness: Somewhat

General impressions: High initial bite, good brake modulation, high fade resistance. Great for AutoX and probably okay for novice HPDE is the track is not hard on brakes. There website says not for ANY track use for cars higher than 3,00 lbs or more than 300 hp. I would have to agree with them. I ran them at CMP, which is known to be very hard on brakes. Pads performed fine, but the fronts are almost gone after 2 track days, 2Autox, and 1,000 street miles. I will try the XP8's next.
just to add to his general impressions - i use the AX6's in the rear and XP8's in the front. with my stock diameter brembo slotted rotors, they perform wonderfully. of course i use DOT4 and this combo is very cost effective and track effective as well. i have used them in laguna seca, willow springs (big rack), buttonwillow, and cal speedway. very resistant to fade, easy on the rotors. as i get better and learn how to use the brakes more effectively, i will eventually switch to XP10's in the front and XP8's in the rear. i mix and match because obviously the rear does not heat up as much as the fronts, so it is more cost effective. this should not affect brake bias in anyway since they are basically the same compound, but just operate at different temperatures.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:40 PM
dnguyent

Default Cobalt Friction XR2 (f)/GT-Sport (r)

Manufacturer: Cobalt Friction
(http://www.cobaltfriction.com)
Compound: XR2 (front), GT-Sport (rear)
Operating temperature range: XR2: 50F-1600F GTS: 50F-1200F
Coefficient of friction: Not stated, but I would guess 0.65 for XR2 and 0.50 for the GTS
Brake system: Stoptech 355mm BBK in front, OE Brembo rear
Application: Road Course HPDE (Thunderhill, Infineon, Laguna Sece, Reno)
Price paid: USD350 (250/100)
Durability: Fronts lasted 6 track days, rear lasted 7 days.
Rotors friendliness: Both compounds appear to be friendly on rotors.

General impressions:
In terms of pedal feel, modulation, performance, and price these are my favorite pads. However, after 6 track days, which seems to be what I get out of a set of race pads nowadays, these pads disintegrated severely. When I swapped these race pads out, the pad material just crumbled into the caliper and onto the driveway. I have 1/8" to 5/32" left on these pads, so they were near the end of their usable life. I might have considered one more day at a low brake-intensive track like Infineon if the pads were still intact. What I observed was that the rivets/pegs that were used to bind the pad compound to the backing plate was the main reason why the pad material fractured and crumbled. The pads that were still somewhat intact had cracks emanating from each rivet location. I don't think that the fracturing and crumbling is a desirable characteristic of a pad that has with 1/8" of thickness left. In fact, I think it's unsafe. This is the first pad that I've noticed this happen. I contacted PDQ Motorsports about a month ago, and they have relayed this information to Cobalt Friction, but I have not heard an explanation for what happened. Others on the S2ki board have documented similar experience with these pads.

Last edited by dnguyent; 12-09-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:33 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DMK
Manufacturer: BHP
Compound: XPS
Brake system: Stoptech ST40
Application: Open Track @ Streets of Willow
Durability: Still new, so not sure.

Similar cold bite as Axxis Ultimates, which is pretty good for a track oriented pad. The BHP XPS line is marketed as dual use Street and Track pad. Rotor friendliness and durability are suppose to be very good. They dust as much as the Axxis ULT's, which doesn't really bother me. Cold bite is very good and they only get better as they heat up. They have a MOT of about 1100 deg F and avg. coefficient of friction at .46. They performed very well at the track, although this is not a very long course. No sign of fade throughout the day. I got these pads, because of the ability to run the pads without switching them out at every track event. So far, I am pleased with them. They worked great with my Michelin PS2's. I did smell the brakes once when I had to do a stop from 70 to almost 0 when a BMW M Coupe spun out in front of me.

Unfortunately, these pads are no longer produced. But, there are still some places where you can buy them from until their supply runs out. Comar Performance is one of them in Socal.
These have been replaced with the CR1 and PR6 (I think). I have run the CR1's on the street and track, and they performed well in each. It did an 8 hour enduro with no fade.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Morris

Compound: XP8's
Operating temperature range: 200 degrees F - 1350+ degrees F
Coefficient of friction: if known
Application: HPDE
Price paid: List is $162 Front & $139 Rear
Durability: Good
Rotors friendliness: Very Good

I have 2 HPDE's on the pads (equals 4 track days, 3 30 minute sessions per day), and I think I have 1 more HPDE left in them. Very good initial bite and good modulation. I have not noticed any fade.

I have experienced some unusual pad wear in the rear. The outside edge of the pad (the edge near the outside of the rotor) has worn more than the inside edge of the pad (the edge of the pad near the senter of the rotor). Not sure why.

I will update the post and let you know if the last through my next HPDE. (updated: These made it through the 3rd HPDE with pad to spare. Might be able to get one more event out of them, but I will just save them for a back-up set.)

Last edited by Morris; 02-24-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:01 PM
nramsey

Looking for recommendations for a track only pad for my stock '07 non-brembo car. I'll be running street tires so don't want something too strong that I'll get ABS activation immediately, but I tend to be a somewhat aggressive, run in the advanced or upper intermediate run group and want to avoid fade. I'll be running at Pacific Raceways which has two hard back to back downhill braking zones each lap so tends to be somewhat hard on pads in my experience. I'll also be using ATE race fluid, not decided yet on stainless lines or not.

I've read what seem to be good things about the Cobalt XR3 pads for this setup, but this was deduced from a couple folks with other setups (brembos, other big brake kits, r compounds etc).

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:02 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I would recomend the Carbotechs or the hawk HT-10s
Old 01-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by mhoward1
I would recomend the Carbotechs or the hawk HT-10s
Talked with Hawk Performance today and they tell me the most aggressive pad they now make for the NON-brembo Z's are the HP Plus. I wanted something more aggressive but they dont' offer anything.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:49 PM
racerbob4

Default Billyco

email Danny at Carbotech@gmail.com Ask Danny what he recommends, he wont suggest anything bad. We have been happy with their pads for several years now including the Z car and the C5 corvette.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:17 AM
MaddMatt

http://www.bhpbrakes.com/HTML/blank/RaceAppN.html
Old 02-09-2008, 11:19 AM
GWord256

Operating temperature range: 0-1000 degrees F
Brake system: G35 Non-Brembo with Sport Rotors
Application: HPDE 25 min
Price paid: 135$ Front 95$ Rear
Durability: Obiliterated in less than one day.
Rotors friendliness: No Comment

I need to chime in on these. Ordered a set front & rear from an autoparts store. Installed one week prior to HPDE. Lasted only three sessions (@25min a session). Fronts and rears were all gone. Rears were worse but the fronts had also gotten to the screecher.

Next day I came out with AutoZone Duralast front and back and went through a set of rears in one session. So essentally the Yellows lasted me 3 times longer than an OEM equivlent.

Edit: Also wanted to mention I had severe over temperature issues going on. The pads had turned white, the paint turned black and flaked off, and the shims on the backing plates began to bubble. These "postage stamp" size brakes are definatly a part of the problem.

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
Operating temperature range: 0-900 degrees F
Application: Open track 15-20min
Price paid: $95 shipped(front only)
Durability: Very little wear after 2 track days and 4k road use
Rotors friendliness: Great until I went out for over 20min and started over using the brakes because the tires were overheated.

General Impression: The only thing I have to compare them to is stock. No fade(140mph at end of Limerock straight), not a grabby pad(want to stop more push harder), works on the street( have only had them as low as 50 degrees outside temp) and of course the thing that no one reading this cares about less dust than stock. Side note they come with shims already in place and these pads are noise free as I followed the brake in directions as they also come with a coating to help brake in.

Last edited by GWord256; 02-09-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Track pads database?