Notices

DIY: Adding "Demon eye" to '06+ Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:38 PM
AstroZombie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Adding "Demon eye" to '06+ Headlights

After (finally) getting ahold of a set of '06+ headlights I proceeded to tear them down to black out the housings. I also intended on adding the demon eye, which was relatively easy. The only issues I can foresee is the heat generated by the headlight bulb may melt the LED/wiring. The headlight bulb sits back pretty far in the housing so I think it should work out just fine. That being said, this is a trial and error mod for me, if I end up cooking the LED, so be it. I will post later any adverse effects, as I obviously don't have these lights installed yet.

I will not go into detail about how to open/strip down the headlight. There are a few DIY's on this already and the methods work well. I used a heat gun to get into my lights, but have used the oven for my '05 lights in the past. Either way works fine, just be careful not to warp your lens if you decide to use the heat gun.

Assuming you already have your light stripped and the "pod" removed this is where I will start my DIY.

STEP ONE: I found this 3 pack of LED's at Pep-boys for $7.99 they already have the resistors inline so they are easy to work with.

STEP TWO: Drill a hole in the flange on the gutted pod assembly so the LED slides in snugly. I used a #9 drill bit, or if you dont have # bits try a 13/64, that will work just fine. I used some High temp sealant from work to hold the LED in place, but high temp RTV should do the trick, or maybe a little dab of glue??

STEP THREE: Allow sealant to dry and route wiring through the slot in the side of the housing. I used a small file and rounded the sharp edge of the housing and a zip tie to hold the wire to the side of the housing. Then drilled a small hole for the wire to slip through the back of the headlight and sealed with black RTV.

And thats it! I still have to re-assemble the light and install... Also you would want to get the headlights re-aimed once installed. (obviously!) but so far I am pleased with the results. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Good luck!!!
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Adding "Demon eye" to '06+ Headlights-1.jpg   DIY: Adding "Demon eye" to '06+ Headlights-2.jpg   DIY: Adding "Demon eye" to '06+ Headlights-3.jpg  

Last edited by AstroZombie; 03-08-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:39 PM
AstroZombie

More pics...
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Adding "Demon eye" to '06+ Headlights-4.jpg   DIY: Adding "Demon eye" to '06+ Headlights-5.jpg   DIY: Adding "Demon eye" to '06+ Headlights-6.jpg  
Old 03-09-2009, 01:00 AM
FliPPER_Z

good info, thanks!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Xlr82x

Good post.. What do you have your wires tapped into for the demon eyes? Running lights? Auxillary switch? Let me know. Interested in doing this but just can't figure out where the mounting of the LED's are best at.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:58 AM
AstroZombie

Originally Posted by Xlr82x
Good post.. What do you have your wires tapped into for the demon eyes? Running lights? Auxillary switch? Let me know. Interested in doing this but just can't figure out where the mounting of the LED's are best at.

Thanks, I will eventually run them to an auxillary switch. My big hangup was trying to figure out where to mount the LED, I think it will be ok where I have it, but only time will tell. I will be tearing down my other light tonight and resealing this one. hopefully by this weekend I will be able to add the wiring portion to this post.

Also if any of you have done this, speak up! Where did you mount the LED? How did it hold up to the heat?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Xlr82x

Hopefully they would holdup. Don't you think the wires are also in danger to the heat? I was just looking at your pics but maybe some heat shield wrapping would help out the situation. Not to sure since i don't know exactly how much room you have to work with or if it will effect the light.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:14 PM
ARMSTRONGARMS

At some places this mod costs big bucks LOL, great post and contribution to the forum.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:17 PM
drewk

Anyone have a DIY for 03-05 lights?
Old 03-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Ghost_shift

Exellent write up!
Old 03-09-2009, 05:01 PM
AstroZombie

Originally Posted by Xlr82x
Hopefully they would holdup. Don't you think the wires are also in danger to the heat? I was just looking at your pics but maybe some heat shield wrapping would help out the situation. Not to sure since i don't know exactly how much room you have to work with or if it will effect the light.

I did think about the wires, they are pretty far away from the bulb, but probably wouldnt hurt to add some heat wrapping.

Originally Posted by idwin
At some places this mod costs big bucks LOL, great post and contribution to the forum.
Thanks, I talked with a few of the "places" that do this mod, and I told them that I just wanted to double check the LED placement and I got no reply. Go figure, cant have people figuring this out for themselves I suppose. I think it worked out better this way, as I surely didnt steal anyones mounting ideas and now I get to post a killer DIY!

Also you dont need to remove the pod housing, I had it out because I had a ton of repairs to do on my drivers side housing. Otherwise you can leave them in!

Originally Posted by drewk
Anyone have a DIY for 03-05 lights?
I havent seen the inside of an 05 projector but I assume if you can get in there we can figure it out!

Originally Posted by Ghost_shift
Exellent write up!
Thanks again guys, I'm glad you appreciated it. I was doing my passengers side light and I just cut my hand all to h3ll! I think I'm at a stopping point today.... or at least until I know I dont need stitches
Old 03-09-2009, 06:25 PM
2k6-z33

Nice subscribed.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:28 PM
ARMSTRONGARMS

Astrozombie LOL yeah i was told by one of them that 03-05 lights wouldnt be fully functional in a 06 up model? but i was able to (w/help from tware) to sort the wiring out to make the headlights fully functional? LOL
Old 03-09-2009, 10:54 PM
AstroZombie

Originally Posted by idwin
Astrozombie LOL yeah i was told by one of them that 03-05 lights wouldnt be fully functional in a 06 up model? but i was able to (w/help from tware) to sort the wiring out to make the headlights fully functional? LOL
Yeah if I can add these to my base '05, I don't see why you couldn't put '05 lights on whatever you please. Its (as you said) a matter of figuring out the wiring. Good for you trying a new thing, as they say, "Don't take any guff from these fu(king swine!"

Well I am shooting for the weekend to get the lights installed, I would do it sooner but I need to get them aimed and I need to take it in for that, it doesnt look like a fun process for this car. I will finish up the other light tomorrow, I just slipped with the knife today and layed my finger open pretty good... no stitches, but man it was a good one!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 PM
blackz123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice moar diys for headlights
Old 03-10-2009, 04:04 AM
350z-Jim

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See you ruined it. Why not charge people $700 to do this? I mean, that's worth it for some paint and an LEDs right?

Good job on the write up. We need more of these to stop people paying for simple mods like this.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:08 AM
AstroZombie

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
See you ruined it. Why not charge people $700 to do this? I mean, that's worth it for some paint and an LEDs right?

Good job on the write up. We need more of these to stop people paying for simple mods like this.

Haha, I promise I'll only charge $699.00!

Exactly why I didnt want to pay to have this done. A few buddies are wanting me to do theirs already, and I dont even have mine on the car yet! I should at least be able to get a case of beer out of this, ya think?!

Thanks for the kind words everyone, if anyone of you attempt this mod, please post your pics and experience to this post.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:38 PM
b_nazty

Damn Josh you wasted no time....awesome write up ..kudos to you sir..ummm how much to buy the lights back??? lol!!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:59 PM
AstroZombie

Originally Posted by b_nazty
Damn Josh you wasted no time....awesome write up ..kudos to you sir..ummm how much to buy the lights back??? lol!!

HaHa, we might be able to work something out for that big brake kit

But I dont think I'll be getting rid of these lights anytime soon!
Old 03-10-2009, 04:01 PM
FliPPER_Z

AstroZombie..what is the magic number on the oven? did you preheat the oven,if so how many mins for the headlight to get soft? i did my old altimas headlights, but right now i still dont have the guts to open them...
Old 03-10-2009, 05:32 PM
AstroZombie

Originally Posted by samr350z
AstroZombie..what is the magic number on the oven? did you preheat the oven,if so how many mins for the headlight to get soft? i did my old altimas headlights, but right now i still dont have the guts to open them...
This time I didnt use the oven, because it was a pain trying to keep the cardboard from catching on fire.... I have a gas oven. But when I did use it, I did 250* for about 8-9 minutes (or as long as it takes ramen to cook! ) checked it then usually put it in for a few more. I was scared the first time I did it because I was sure I was gonna open the oven and find a blob of plastic, but that wasn't the case.
This time around I used a heat gun. I think it was much more efficient this way, but just remember to keep it moving and don't direct the heat right on the clear part of the lens.... Oh, and don't touch the metal tip of the heat gun... (I was by my heatgun because for some reason I thought it would be wise to pick it up by grabbing the metal nozzle..)

Quick Reply: DIY: Adding "Demon eye" to '06+ Headlights