Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

**Steering knuckle ball joints??**

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 11:21 AM
rizeld

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bak3rme
A solution to those who are having trouble pressing out the old ball joints off the knuckle.

one of the biggest issue of getting the ball joint off is finding a perfect sized receiving socket. The ball joint press tool that you can rent at autozone and advance auto parts have receiving sockets but they are a tad bit too small. I found this at autozone and it has a perfect fit for pressing out the old ball joints.

thought it might be helpful!

Attachment 377917

Attachment 377918
IDK, Ive used the tool kit from advanced 3 times now. The first time was a PIA as i had no idea how to use it. But last weekend (and my third set of BJ's) It took me 10 mins a piece to press out and in (minus prep time; ie jacking supporting, wheel removal etc). Ill try and go back and get the sizes that work.
The following users liked this post:
terrj (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 07:52 PM
terrj

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Please do since ill be doing it this next week
Old 09-01-2016, 09:22 PM
terrj

So i bought these and the boots seem to be made from ES and hopefully im right. I will take some pictures when theyre here
Old 09-10-2016, 10:32 AM
terrj

Update : the ebay ball joint i bought fits perfectly inside the Autozone sleeve that i rented. The oem one didnt fit but i still managed to press it out and used a hammer to knock the ball joint out after , the cone seat took the longest to come off though. Extremely easy job, just require some elbow grease with the cone seat , thats all. And its my 1st time doing it too so if i can , anyone can

Last edited by terrj; 09-10-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:46 PM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems there are differences in opinion if the Autozone vs Advance version is better. I haven't rented tools in forever. If I need to rent more than 1 tool at the same place do I need to pay full price for both. I need a Spring Compressor, Ball Joint Tool and maybe a few other things.

To the above, any info on if those are actually ES bushings. They definitely look Poly but I hope because they are red it isn't an assumption they are ES brand.

Looking at ES part numbers for the Ball Joint boots, they have 2 part numbers, one ending in G and one ending in R with a tad difference in the actual height of the boot. Not sure which is best. Hope someone can chime in.

I came from the Mustang world which we had a Macpherson Strut suspension. The extended ball joints were really a autocross/road course only type mod. The price difference in a normal ball joint and a extended ball joint set is like $80-$100 more. Its just a longer ball joint. I don't know if anyone has experience before and after with these titled "roll center adjusters" I do know they lowered the front end on Mustangs .25 to .5 inches when these were installed.

Last edited by Swaglife81; 10-29-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:55 AM
terrj

Originally Posted by Swaglife81
Seems there are differences in opinion if the Autozone vs Advance version is better. I haven't rented tools in forever. If I need to rent more than 1 tool at the same place do I need to pay full price for both. I need a Spring Compressor, Ball Joint Tool and maybe a few other things.

To the above, any info on if those are actually ES bushings. They definitely look Poly but I hope because they are red it isn't an assumption they are ES brand.

Looking at ES part numbers for the Ball Joint boots, they have 2 part numbers, one ending in G and one ending in R with a tad difference in the actual height of the boot. Not sure which is best. Hope someone can chime in.

I came from the Mustang world which we had a Macpherson Strut suspension. The extended ball joints were really a autocross/road course only type mod. The price difference in a normal ball joint and a extended ball joint set is like $80-$100 more. Its just a longer ball joint. I don't know if anyone has experience before and after with these titled "roll center adjusters" I do know they lowered the front end on Mustangs .25 to .5 inches when these were installed.
Not sure if theyre ES but they cost almost the same , around $60 and they look like theyll last me more than a few years. I dont really mind changing them every few years anyway since theyre really easy especially with an impact gun
Old 10-31-2016, 02:22 PM
Swaglife81

Originally Posted by terrj
Not sure if theyre ES but they cost almost the same , around $60 and they look like theyll last me more than a few years. I dont really mind changing them every few years anyway since theyre really easy especially with an impact gun
I'm still looking for good prices. RockAuto seems the best price and buy the Boots separately on Amazon.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:22 PM
terrj

Originally Posted by Swaglife81
I'm still looking for good prices. RockAuto seems the best price and buy the Boots separately on Amazon.
If you can seal the boots on then go for it. I dont trust myself enough to do that
Old 12-05-2016, 08:31 AM
NOLAGG

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So bottom line for best replacement brand for 03 Z is the czp or z1?also which tool kit removes and reinstalls this the best ?AutoZone ,advance or hear or freight ?about to tackle all my suspension at once and want to make it as easy as possible lol.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:00 AM
mcubed45

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NOLAGG
So bottom line for best replacement brand for 03 Z is the czp or z1?also which tool kit removes and reinstalls this the best ?AutoZone ,advance or hear or freight ?about to tackle all my suspension at once and want to make it as easy as possible lol.
Been happy with my duralast BJ's from autozone. I don't think anyone else offers a lifetime warranty. Obviously the OEM ones don't last forever so I highly doubt any aftermarket ones will last much longer. I guess it depends how long you plan to keep the car.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:52 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Does anyone have any experience with Z1 front lower ball joints?

I installed a pair today and their overall length looks shorter than OEM (and the cotter pin hole is lower)

After install (tightened as all hell)

Any input?
Old 12-19-2016, 10:24 PM
amr_electron

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Same issue here, With the nut tightened all the way down, It's very difficult to insert the cotter pin, I even put a jack under the knuckle to make sure the cone is fully seated !

Picture of the ball joint pressed in,

Installed,

Old 12-20-2016, 02:32 AM
SilverGLE

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I wound up going with Mevotech Supreme (#MS30500) ball joints. They include their own nut (of the castle style) and were long enough that I had no issues inserting the included cotter pin.

Link to them on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-20-2016, 05:56 AM
rizeld

I used the Z1's. They are a little shorter but I had no issues getting the old nut back on and a cotter pin in. (by old I mean I bought a new one from Nissan as i had to cut them off the OEM) I was worried at first but after i torqued it to correct specs it fit. It was a little tight and if I remember correctly I had to use a slightly smaller pin. Its been a year, and 8 track days and they are fine.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:59 AM
rizeld

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
^ I wound up going with Mevotech Supreme (#MS30500) ball joints. They include their own nut (of the castle style) and were long enough that I had no issues inserting the included cotter pin.

Link to them on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are for 03 models only.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:18 AM
pyshin

Originally Posted by amr_electron
Same issue here, With the nut tightened all the way down, It's very difficult to insert the cotter pin, I even put a jack under the knuckle to make sure the cone is fully seated !
I did the same with the jack, my friends suggested that I throw some threadlocker blue on there so I did that as well.

Originally Posted by rizeld
I used the Z1's. They are a little shorter but I had no issues getting the old nut back on and a cotter pin in. (by old I mean I bought a new one from Nissan as i had to cut them off the OEM) I was worried at first but after i torqued it to correct specs it fit. It was a little tight and if I remember correctly I had to use a slightly smaller pin. Its been a year, and 8 track days and they are fine.
What year Z do you own? My 2008's OEM ball joint mounting nut was actually a slightly larger size than the Z1 replacement (it would slide straight over the bolt without catching thread).
Old 12-20-2016, 07:24 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

Originally Posted by pyshin
I did the same with the jack, my friends suggested that I throw some threadlocker blue on there so I did that as well.

What year Z do you own? My 2008's OEM ball joint mounting nut was actually a slightly larger size than the Z1 replacement (it would slide straight over the bolt without catching thread).
i ordered some off amazon and the bolt was thinner and shorter. never found any that were the same. i unded up just changing both arms out
Old 12-20-2016, 01:25 PM
SilverGLE

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rizeld
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are for 03 models only.
Both Amazon and RockAuto show them fitting 04, so I assume it's for all 03-05. 06+ has the redesigned BJ, correct? They did in fact fit my 04.5.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:47 PM
pyshin

Originally Posted by travlee
i ordered some off amazon and the bolt was thinner and shorter. never found any that were the same. i unded up just changing both arms out
Guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:04 AM
Swaglife81

In cases like this where all the replacements are a tad different than factory makes me think at some point in production of parts they decided on a change to the ball joint. Like part number **** replacement with improved version ***** since seems like there are zero replacements exactly like factory installed.

I haven't tackled mine yet because of work and it's been bad weather. My install will be outside. Other than issues getting the cotter pin back in with enough room. It's all pretty straight forward with the right tools?

Quick Reply: **Steering knuckle ball joints??**