Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Wrench sizes for HR strut bar jack screw/nuts

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 09:25 AM
K51

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrench sizes for HR strut bar jack screw/nuts

I need to replace the shocks and springs on my '08 next week, so I need to remove the front strut bar, and I don't know the wrench sizes for the strut bar jack screw and lock nuts. Searched many threads and couldn't find the answer.

Anyone know what wrenches I need to buy? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:59 PM
Chi-TownWarrior

Not off the top of my head, but buy an entire set of metric sockets and wrenches. The service manual will also tell you, but I don't remember what happened to the link.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:20 PM
K51

I do have a full set of tools, but my open end wrenches only go up to 24mm.

AFAIK, there are no other nuts anywhere on the Z (or any of my 4 other cars) the same sizes as the parts I asked about on the strut bar, so I've never had the need before. The FSM doesn't tell the sizes, only the torque settings. I'm happy to buy the wrenches, just need to know the sizes.

Anyone else?
Old 04-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Chi-TownWarrior

Originally Posted by K51
I do have a full set of tools, but my open end wrenches only go up to 24mm.

AFAIK, there are no other nuts anywhere on the Z (or any of my 4 other cars) the same sizes as the parts I asked about on the strut bar, so I've never had the need before. The FSM doesn't tell the sizes, only the torque settings. I'm happy to buy the wrenches, just need to know the sizes.

Anyone else?
IIRC I didn't need anything that big, but you'd be safe to grab some 25 and larger sockets and wrenches.

The only other advice I have for you is make sure that when you're putting it all back together, make sure the socket is straight with the nuts and studs at the top of the shocks where they mount to the body. You can snap a stud pretty easily (Ask me how I know).
Old 04-18-2014, 01:33 PM
K51

The flats on the jack screw look to be perhaps 29mm, with the lock nuts maybe 31? Just want to know for certain before buying the wrenches. Don't need a whole set, as I have already mentioned, I don't know of anything else requiring open end wrenches anywhere near that size on any of my cars.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:53 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Is it really necessary to loosen the jack screw to remove the strut bar? I've seen a few youtube vids showing shock and spring replacement, and the strut bar seems to come off and reinstall fine as-is.