Upper Control Arm Balljoints

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 03:02 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by bueno__o
I dont mind spending the amount of time with a alignment. The problem I am trying to fix is for it to stop creaking when i turn cause its really embarrassing! I just dont want to buy a new pair if I am going to have the same result you know.
Which is why I suggested you take it in and have the alignment checked along with what is likely to be causing the out of range readings. Your UCA ball joints don't get mangled like that without something being completely f'u'd or someone had ape hands putting them in in the first place.

Slightly off topic: Last time I brought my wife's Z to the dealer for service (service contract dontcha know it!), I had them align it and purchased a "lifetime alignment" from them. It cost $20 more than standard alignment and I've had them check it and give me a readout each time we brought it in for regular serviciing. Might be worthwhile for you.... hahaha.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:20 PM
bueno__o

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I installed the new ball joints, but its still making the noise but only of the drivers side. Its not as bad but still, its embarrassing to drove around with that creaking!!!!!! Im going to add more grease but if this doesnt end up working I am just going to save up and buy SPL's.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:23 PM
bueno__o

Heres how they turned out.
Attached Thumbnails Upper Control Arm Balljoints-img_0663.jpg  
Old 06-15-2015, 03:14 PM
bueno__o

So Megan Racing sent me another pair of balljoints and I replaced these. Then I noticed when I had the car jacked up from the front, I turned the steering wheel without having installed the new parts. It happened to be my strut mounts on my coil lovers. I just went ahead and bought BC racing coils and the noise went away!! I threw away the crappy ebay coilovers. Thanks for those who gave me suggestions.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:13 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

So it ended up being the front pillowball mounts on the cheap ebay coilovers, nice work on reporting back.

Note though that on our platform the coilovers are just coilovers, they are not part of a strut assembly, meaning the coilover does not rotate when you turn the wheel. The sound was probably the result of the suspension changing height as you turned the wheel causing the pillowball to creak. Which is interesting because by that logic you should have heard it even when going over bumps and such.

The problem with that Megan joint is likely poor boot design (among other things). The boot was binding during turns, which eventually tore the rubber (which seems to be in good condition otherwise). It doesn't even sound like you are that low, but as long as they weren't creaking or sloppy they were technically fine.

Let us know how the new ones hold up.