Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Help with front suspension components

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 01:40 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Help with front suspension components

Currently in process of removing the following 3 so I can bring them into a shop to have bushings removed and install new ones.

1. Lower Control Arm (transverse link arm)
2. Compression Rod
3. Front knuckle (houses the lower ball joint)

I've broken all bolts loose on all 3 components however I am having trouble removing the actual item.

The lower control arm can be removed as of today however i kept the bolts on so i could work with the other 2 components

-Compression rod: I'm having trouble removing this off the vehicle. The side where the compression rod bushing is stuck on pretty good. I've PB blasted this for a few days. also the knuckle side with the ball joint is stuck on pretty good too. I've tried pry bar but no luck

i've tried to remove the tie rod ball joint from the steering knuckle (bolts are loose) but no luck also. I loosened the nut enough to make it flush with the bolt and hammering the heck outta it but doesn't pop free.

I was going to take the calipers off but those are on tight as hell even with my 20V impact wrench i couldn't bust it loose. But i don't mind that i'll probably end up disconnecting the brake lines and bleeding the system after.

what tools did u guys use to remove the ball joint from tie rod and compression rod ball joint?
Old 04-11-2016, 08:34 PM
mr.badratchet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy one of these for ~$22, or just go to O'reilly's or ? and rent one. I have had good luck with one so far.

Harbor freight ball joint seperator item#99849
Old 04-12-2016, 03:37 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

got compression rod off with 3 ft pry bar! i will try what u linked to pull off the tie rod