Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Kaitain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pj550v12,

More than likely your clutch pedal isn't going up all the way, try putting your foot under the pedal and pulling up. Did it move some? That's the buffer zone your foot had previously between the clutch vibration and your foot. Since I know nothing about cars I obviously can't diagnose your vibration but that's my totally uninformed guess.

Also, if you have cruise control you will also need to adjust the cruise control switch too, not just the clutch pedal.

Oh and my totally uninformed answer is, "No, it's not a problem but you might need to send me $100 to make sure. Hold a $100 bill over your engine and I will be able to diagnose it remotely. Just make sure it's not anything other than a $100 bill as that is the only currancy that will work. It's very scientific."
Old 07-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great mod. just finished it and the clutch is awesome. THANKS MAN!
Old 07-30-2005, 08:27 AM
pj550v12

Originally Posted by Kaitain
pj550v12,

More than likely your clutch pedal isn't going up all the way, try putting your foot under the pedal and pulling up. Did it move some? That's the buffer zone your foot had previously between the clutch vibration and your foot. Since I know nothing about cars I obviously can't diagnose your vibration but that's my totally uninformed guess.

Also, if you have cruise control you will also need to adjust the cruise control switch too, not just the clutch pedal.

Oh and my totally uninformed answer is, "No, it's not a problem but you might need to send me $100 to make sure. Hold a $100 bill over your engine and I will be able to diagnose it remotely. Just make sure it's not anything other than a $100 bill as that is the only currancy that will work. It's very scientific."
Haha, will do.

One more question, this is probobly just me being paranoid, but after you adjust the clutch pedal, is the clutch still engaging fully? I know I have full disengagement, however after the clutch catches gears it doesn't move at all, it catches and then is done moving, no more travel. Maybe it's supposed to be this way am I'm being paranoid, I just wanted to make sure that after this mod the car isn't 'riding the clutch' all by itself.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:31 PM
JohnnyDigital

Originally Posted by Acree
great mod. just finished it and the clutch is awesome. THANKS MAN!
Which method did you use?
Old 07-30-2005, 01:02 PM
Kaitain

pj550v12,

Thats the thing where the spring (look up and to the left when adjusting the clutch and you'll see a big spring) is not able to return the clutch pedal all the way up. I have the same deal but my clutch is fully engaging. That extra buffer doesn't seem to matter. The clutch itself will move the pedal to the clutch's full engagment point. I actually like the immediate clutch engagement now but it did freak me out a little at first.

Also if you have cruise control make sure you adjust that switch as well.

Last edited by Kaitain; 07-30-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Fletch69z

Thanks Tantrum! Subscribing...
Old 07-30-2005, 05:37 PM
gunser

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I just did this and it feels great. 2 turns. Took Me 30 minutes with a flashlight at night.

A couple of questions...

1. The whole rod clockwise/counterclockwise mixup. You turn it clockwise if your right side up facing the front of the car, correct? Just for piece of mind.

2. How will I know if there's a problem with the cruise control? (It won't engauge if theres something wrong, or wont disengage?)

I'm feel much better knowing I can adjust this.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:58 PM
vmastro

2. It won't engage if it is not adjusted.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:53 PM
gunser

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks vmastro.

Not that this mod needs more praise, but I drove the car hard tonight for an extended period of time and I feel like a new driver. Crisper shifting and launching and I was chirping 2nd twice as loud as ever before.

I wonder why they added more clutch travel to the 05's...
Old 08-01-2005, 07:34 AM
DanOnTheRoad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gunser
I just did this and it feels great. 2 turns. Took Me 30 minutes with a flashlight at night.

A couple of questions...

1. The whole rod clockwise/counterclockwise mixup. You turn it clockwise if your right side up facing the front of the car, correct? Just for piece of mind.

2. How will I know if there's a problem with the cruise control? (It won't engauge if theres something wrong, or wont disengage?)

I'm feel much better knowing I can adjust this.
Clockwise / Counterclockwise Issue:

If you are facing the front of the car (ie. NOT laying on your back) then turn the shaft counterclockwise (to your left)

If you are laying on your back and facing up towards the steering column, then you turn the shaft clockwise (to your right)

OR

TO LOWER CLUTCH PEDAL - TURN SHAFT TOWARDS DRIVER'S SIDE DOOR. NO MATTER WHAT POSITION YOU ARE IN.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:20 AM
nicolaycastro

Originally Posted by DanOnTheRoad
Clockwise / Counterclockwise Issue:

If you are facing the front of the car (ie. NOT laying on your back) then turn the shaft counterclockwise (to your left)

If you are laying on your back and facing up towards the steering column, then you turn the shaft clockwise (to your right)

OR

TO LOWER CLUTCH PEDAL - TURN SHAFT TOWARDS DRIVER'S SIDE DOOR. NO MATTER WHAT POSITION YOU ARE IN.
good reasoning, I figured I would just turn it and see if the peddal was going up or down...
Old 08-01-2005, 09:15 AM
NTRIGUE

I've had this mod done for about 1.5 years and love it!

No premature clutch wear.

Its fun to adjust it so that you simply lift your foot slightly off the floorboard and it engages - press the floorboard and it disengages. I was just worried about the clutch slipping.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:45 PM
AvengerZ

wow, i did this mod this afternoon, and it was great... i turned the rod 2 times and now its much lower and easier to drive.

One thing i'm a little worry is that i feel the clutch isnt as stiff as before... is it ok??
Old 08-02-2005, 04:47 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AvengerZ
One thing i'm a little worry is that i feel the clutch isnt as stiff as before... is it ok??
That's normal. Comes with age.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:32 PM
treyf8

Man, what a difference.. Soo much easier to drive around town.. Thanks for the info
Old 08-06-2005, 05:38 PM
HokieZ

subscribing. will do first thing in the morning. This has bugged me for 2 years.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:59 AM
SJTrackZ

I just did a couple turns to try it out. VERY NICE!! I love it!
Old 08-07-2005, 06:46 PM
WestCoastRiot

do these cars have a clutch diriveter valve? the clutch drv is like a pressure release switch, so that when backing off the clutch pedal will feel lighter and easier on the leg?
Old 08-08-2005, 05:23 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally got around to adjusting mine yesterday and I think I nailed it the first try with about two turns. The clutch seems to be engaging and disengaging fully without the droopy pedal some are reporting. Engagement is much more predictable and Honda-like, for lack of a better term. Its hard to believe less than 1/2" can make such a dramatic "feel" difference. I now operate the clutch pedal with my foot instead of my entire leg...pretty soon we'll all be shifting like Alberto! LOL

I did have to adjust both switches for proper clearance; the ASCD Cancel Switch at the top and the Clutch Interlock Switch at the bottom. The clutch pedal was resting on the Clutch Interlock Switch after adjustment so that backing it off a few turns was a must to ensure full release.

According to the service manual, pedal height should be 171-179mm (6.73-7.05in). I made the mistake of not taking a measurement before, but after it was about 160mm or 6.375in. I don't feel like I moved it 1/2" or more, but I guess I could have. The only other explanation is that spec is taken from the firewall minus carpet and padding. The manual states "Dash Panel" and looks pretty thin in the illustration so who knows. Maybe someone can measure before and after if they haven't done it yet.

My only concern with this mod. is that Nissan engineered the pedal height this high for a reason. The only one I can think of besides an overly generous margin of error is that it would protect the clutch as it wears through it's complete service life. Which leads to the question, is our clutch self-adjusting or should I expect to manually adjust this pedal height back up as my clutch wears?

Last edited by 350Zenophile; 08-08-2005 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:19 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Question

Are you guys laying down on your backs and sliding into the car face up when you do this? I am 6' & 225lbs. and I had a squeaking in my clutch pedal somewhere (about 2 mos. ago) I tried to get my big azz down in there to identify and lubricate whatever it was (unsuccessfully) and that was a pain in my azz & back... LITERALLY! Eventually took it to my boy who handles maintanence issues for me (My Lexus and other cars) smaller Asian cat. Of course he was able to slide under there no prob and fix it.

I just want to be ble to knock this out on my first try! So I printed out the 3 pages, but is everybody sliding in the same way? Or is there a "preffered method/positioning"?

The last thing I want is to be all up under there, hot as a ****, and have a tool slip out of my hands and crack me in the eyeball!

By the way... Mine is a 2003, so clock or counter clock?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?