Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 07:01 PM
doctorshumes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. We dont hate you, we just hate the oil consumption, which carries over to Nissan, which carries over to the dealership, and then the service department, and then you. Anyway, if you get a chance, try to read it through and it would also be helpful if you knew the TSB # or could scan it in and post it. If you would not get in trouble or could remain annonymous that is. It would help many of us if/when the dealership seems unaware. Also, when did this particular TSB comeout. Thanks again.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:08 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by alrific
I'm a tech for a local dealer (plz don't hate me). I have not had to use the tsb yet so I hav'nt looked at it, but its been a source of much debate around the watercooler.
I would be curious as to what the talk around the watercooler is on this subject. Obviously, it is an issue and it seems to only be an issue with the rev-ups. Seems like a seriously defective engine to me. My dealer will get three tries to fix this before Nissan will be providing me a new car, so they can pretty much try whatever they want, but they better fix it.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:12 PM
doctorshumes

I would say that most with oil consumption problems seem to be the 06 MT Revup engines. It also seems to be oil dependent. Penzoil worse then Mobil, worse then RP. My 06 MT has 6400 miles on it. With Penzoil it burned about a 1/2 - 2/3 quart per 1,000 miles. Thats with shifting around 3-4K rpm, 5K rarely, and not downshifting. Not horrible compared to some, but honestly it should not be burning ANY oil and if it is a ring problem it is likely to only get worse. Im running RP 5W30 now and at 400 miles included 2 trips of 90 miles, the oil is still at the top level. Nissan still doesnt have a solution for the sentra or altima oil consumption problem, that im aware of, other then to have the owners check it very regularly. Hopefully the Z oil consumption problem is something simple. Are the G35s burning oil as well??? Im not going to push the issue right now because 1. my oil consumption isnt horrible. 2. What are they going to do other then replace the engine with another engine with the same **** problems. I will wait until the figure it out or my problem gets untolerable.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:29 PM
doctorshumes

PCV does seem possible, especially with cheap oil and a high vaccume system. My last car was a 2000 VW Jetta TDI (turbo diesel). The engineers had a great idea of running the PCV/CCV to the intake line upstream from the turbo and intercooler. With low to medium quality of oil which could partially vaporize + the vaccume system, a lot of people had turbo failure full of oil and dirty intercoolers full of oil. Several people endind up re-routing the PCV line and noticed a constant low amount of oil coming from the line. It would usually end up being about 1/2 quart per 3000 to 5000 miles or so, but these engines redlined at 5K. Just food for thought, but if anyone running a turbo system and intercooler with the PCV ran upstream notices significant oil consumption, they may want to check the intercooler or turbo. I certsinly doubt this is the sole reason for oil consumption, especially with the recent problems Nissan has with faulty machining and rings, but the PCV could be contributing.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:23 AM
350Z_LMS

Originally Posted by myZter
so is the oil consumption for all 06 or just the unlucky few?
I have a revup 6MT but on my 35th anniv, 2005. 2006 is the same engine but compliant to stricter emission regs, at least in europe. We call these euroX, where X is 3 for the 2005 engine and 4 for the 2006 motor. I have a friend here in italy (he posts on this forum as well) with the same car and mileage and the very same problem. We have both tried different oil types and Mobil seem the worst of the lot. Thanks to the Nissan tech to share this with us. I feel a little relieved to learn that you people in the US have similar problems. Frankly, I would rather not to have an oil consumption problem on a modern and award winning engine. Has to be something simple. I believe it's VVT related as opposed to the PCV hypo. Anyway, much obliged for any additional info such as the tsb...
Old 11-28-2006, 12:11 AM
350Z_LMS

@alrific: please let us know if you have any news on the tsb...thanks
Old 11-28-2006, 08:54 AM
alrific

Ok guys heres the poop. Nissan has not issued a tsb for this problem. They know about it, they are working on a solution(s), but they have not released an OFFICAL tsb...yet. What we have to do in the shop is call Nissan, explain the prob and Nissan gives us the reprogram ID# which we then download and reprogram the cars ecm. Have your shops call Techline, which is the tech assist hotline for Nissan, explain the prob and Techline should tell them to do the reprogram. If your shop does not know or want to call Techline take your business on down the road to the next dealership. There is no reasonable excuse for not having contacted Nissan when a cust has this large of an oil consumption prob and the tech can't nail down a reason. Nissan will be issuing a tsb eventually, they're just need be as complete as
possible b4 they release it. Our debates around the watercooler mostly focus on the strange coinsidince that 350, Altimas, and Sentras are all burning oil. They may be related but its doubtful b/c Nissans blaming the 2.5L prob on a bad batch of oil rings and mandating long block replacement, which has been working, but we are not reprograming the ecm on 2.5s.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:02 AM
350Z_LMS

thanks man, that's real news. I'll keep an eye out for the tsb but in the meantime I know I can push my dealer here to contact techline for this ecm reprogram thing. let's keep this thread going then, thanks again my friend
Old 11-28-2006, 09:28 AM
06GT350Z

What is reprogramming the ECM going to do besides supposedly fix the oil consumptions problem? What effects will it have on the car/motor?
Old 11-28-2006, 03:07 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06GT350Z
What is reprogramming the ECM going to do besides supposedly fix the oil consumptions problem? What effects will it have on the car/motor?
+1 Will it affect performance?
Old 11-28-2006, 03:20 PM
bofa

Uh oh.. here we go with restated SAE HP #s..... 287HP here we come...
Old 11-28-2006, 04:32 PM
aren21

Finally some real info, Im curious as hell to see what the problem is. What would reprograming have to do with the oil consumption?? Im not saying its not going to work, but what exactly would they reprogram?
Old 11-28-2006, 05:20 PM
alrific

Nissan is very tight lipped about about some problems. They willingly state
the cause of a prob in some tsbs and give only the basic repair info in others. So far this is one of the others. All we know in our shop is what one of the regional reps has told the service manager. "That high vacuum is pulling oil into the combustion chamber due to variable valve timing." My belief is that the reprogram will adjust the amount of valve overlap on the intake side, basically put the intake advance back to where it was in 2005. Why they changed it I don't know, it may be for a power gain but you guys would know that better than I.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:28 PM
97supratt

Nissan is very tight lipped about about some problems. They willingly state
the cause of a prob in some tsbs and give only the basic repair info in others. So far this is one of the others. All we know in our shop is what one of the regional reps has told the service manager. "That high vacuum is pulling oil into the combustion chamber due to variable valve timing." My belief is that the reprogram will adjust the amount of valve overlap on the intake side, basically put the intake advance back to where it was in 2005. Why they changed it I don't know, it may be for a power gain but you guys would know that better than I.
hey do you know if my carbin catch can will void my warranty if I take my Z in to check for this oil consumption? I mean, the catch can doesn't add onto the problem.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:28 PM
alrific

Bofa....bro.... as a tech I really think something bigger may be going on w/your car. 350s only hold 5qts of oil which means you burned 80% of your capacity. Thats a lot. Your dealership should have done a wet and dry dynamic compression test and a leakdown test to check the quality of your rings sealing. It sound like they just brushed you off b/c they didn't see any money in it.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:41 PM
alrific

Originally Posted by 97supratt
hey do you know if my carbin catch can will void my warranty if I take my Z in to check for this oil consumption? I mean, the catch can doesn't add onto the problem.
Define carbin catch can. Do you have an aftermaket evaporative canister? Is it a catch can plumbed into your pcv system for oil? Let me know where and what it is and I could tell ya.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:54 PM
97supratt

Define carbin catch can. Do you have an aftermaket evaporative canister? Is it a catch can plumbed into your pcv system for oil? Let me know where and what it is and I could tell ya.
Sorry I meant carbing catch can, yes the inlet is the hose from the pcv, the outlet goes to the intake manifold.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:08 PM
bofa

Bofa....bro.... as a tech I really think something bigger may be going on w/your car. 350s only hold 5qts of oil which means you burned 80% of your capacity. Thats a lot. Your dealership should have done a wet and dry dynamic compression test and a leakdown test to check the quality of your rings sealing. It sound like they just brushed you off b/c they didn't see any money in it.
Great.. new engine and reprogram...

My uncle seems to think it's the piston rings too...
Old 11-28-2006, 07:10 PM
alrific

Yeah take that off. Your average service advisor and tech will take any opportunity, legit or not, to F you into paying for it out of pocket. Customer pay is always worth more than warranty. Pull off anything w/in reason that does not look factory, hose clamps, tape(sound stupid), whatever you can. We know when a supercharger has been removed to cover-up a blown engine but don't let them exploit you over something little or an aftermarket product thats actually approved by Nissan.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm getting some oil consumption, as soon as i switched over to synthetic. I do believe the dealership knows i have an aftermarket intake, they'll probably get me on that one, right? How much oil, i'm not to sure, but has anyone's oil warning tripped on?

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion