Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Idle air re-learn not being remembered

Old 04-23-2012, 07:30 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Idle air re-learn not being remembered

So after messing around with my stock exhaust, then fitting some ART pipes with the XYZ pipe, then changing back the stock part of the exhaust to stock again. Oh, and cleaning the TB...

Anyway, after that, i performed the resets and relearns and all was well. I then found a slight, and i do mean slight, exhaust leak. I fixed that.

It cause my idle to gain about 150 rpm. This doesn't sound much, but when it's usually 650, and it's sitting at around 800 or so, it's annoying.

If i perform the IAC re-learn, it corrects itself and all is well. However, next time i start the engine, it's forgotten it again, the hot idle is back to 800 or so

I have Osiris and have reset the fuel maps and cleared codes etc, but even though i can get it to correctly re-learn the idle, it will not stay.

Any ideas?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you met all the criteria for idle air reset listed in the FSM, then there is something else wrong.

Take it to the dealer and have them do it with their Consult. That way you are 100% certain it took.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Oh I know its taking, the end of the procedure is starting and waiting 20 seconds fir it to learn. The idle drops down to a nice 650 in that time.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 AM
lyndonium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey fellas - I have the same issue. My car is in the parking lot at work.. while I surf for an answer at my desk.

Saturday night after replacing my TB with a new one, my SEL threw a P0507 code (Air idle speed problem). So I drove around and warmed up the engine, then performed the air volume learn procedure. Including the Throttle position open, and close procedures.

After I complete it, I get the same result: It idles right at 650. Then I started it up the next morning cold and it revved to 1.5k then settled down around 1k-1.1k. I can notice a deterioration in accelerator response as well.

Example in deterioration of performance: I drive a 6spd so when I let off the throttle, the car will slow down, then about a split second later and bogs down more. It almost feels like the throttle has a lag before it lets the RPMs drop. I can notice it significantly when I'm climbing a hill and let off.. I'll feel two distinct drops in vehicle speed, the first right after i let off the pedal, then less than a sec. later, the vehicle drops speed a little more.

Anyways, I did the Air learn procedure again this morning after my commute to work. It sits right at 650. I'll check it again at lunch and see where we are. I still have the SEL on but I'll clear it after I see the idle sits right for a while.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:19 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

I'm going to add that mine was fine until after i played with the exhaust, but that was only a day or two after playing with the TB, i cleaned it.

I also notice the 'hang' your'e referring to, you should see that when on cruise control, if you cancel it when the engine is under at least slight load, the revs will jump up a little.

I was thinking a possible intake leak, i put a spacer in some months prior to the TB clean. But now i'm thinking something else.

However, if the idle air relearn works, but doesn't remember, maybe the TB operation isn't learning correctly? It mentions observing the operation, but i know i haven't, i just assumed it worked.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:44 PM
lyndonium

Dang... You're right about the "observe operation" part. I always assume its working. I checked my car at lunch, no change. I did the relearn procedure got the idle to 650 and drove around for 10 mins (grabbed lunch). Turned it off and turned it back on again to the same high idle issue (1k-1.5k). Anyways, I guess I'm going to check for vacuum leaks this afternoon. I'm might take some carb cleaner and spray a little around the hose connections and see if the engine idle changes... then maybe i'll find a leak?

I did replace my JWT popcharger back from my stock airbox because I took it out for a smog change in November. I don't know if its the cause of this issue. Keep me posted on your progress, I'm going to figure this thing out.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:42 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Yeah, likewise with the progress.

Let me know how the carb cleaner check goes, I doubt its switching back to the stock airbox, I'm wondering if its not the butterfly not closing enough.

The idle relearn is correcting best it can, but my guess is that its throwing the fuelling off...
Old 05-01-2012, 12:25 PM
lyndonium

Hey MaXX - Just giving you a "no-update" update. I removed the MAF and pop charger and cleaned the sensor with CRC MAF cleaner. tightened the throttle body bolts and put everything back to make sure all connections were seated properly.

Same results: I run the learning test and it idles at 650. Shut it down, turn it back on and i'm sitting around 1.1k. Still experiencing the Bog when I let of the throttle in gear.

Anyways, next step is to unplug the battery overnight. Hoping maybe that'll clear the ECU completely, then run the air learn procedure again after my commute to work.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to take it to the dealership and have them use the Consult II to program it. I mean, I really doubt I had more than the TB fail on me at the same time (i.e. cam and crank position sensors.)

All the while drinking beers...

Cheers!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:44 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Thanks for the update, i too cleaned the MAF when i did the TB, i also fitted a velocity stack in the airbox.

I have the pedal dance version of the ECU reset, i will try and do that tonight on the way home and report back.

I agree, i don't think anything other than the TB can be responsible for this, i think i will need to wait for the weekend until i can observe the butterfly operation though.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Did the pedal dance reset stone cold, drove home, performed the re-learn, down to 650. Off, wait ten seconds, back on, higher idle again
Old 05-02-2012, 12:39 PM
lyndonium

I pulled my battery yesterday. I'm going to do the > 24 hour battery pull to make sure everything is drained from the ECU. I dont even know if this is real or just some hocus pocus. The service manual says that the ECU loses some data (Emissions i think) after 24 hours. So I'm hoping to clear that.

I did try to disconnect the battery and mash on the brake pedal 5 times, but that didn't work at all. I'm not sure if its really supposed to clear the SEL. But it didn't.

Keep your fingers crossed. I'll keep you posted, may not be until tomorrow though.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:58 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Yeah, you hold the pedal down, the brake lights drain the circuits, but leaving it for 24 hrs per the FSM will also do that.

It's annoying me now, it's so happy at 650, having it run higher is strained
Old 05-03-2012, 04:55 PM
lyndonium

hey max - I left my battery unplugged for 48 hours. I didn't need to but I couldn't get to my car earlier. anyways I just started it up and the idle is much better! I'm a little low at 500 but I think that'll work itself out after a couple cold starts and some miles. plus it cleared my p0507 without the procedure. no more bog or hang when I let off the throttle. give it a shot! unplug the battery for more than a few hours. I'd say 24 hours. good luck ill keep you posted.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:08 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Wait, what? the unplug fixed the idle even after restarting the car?

I have to assume the pedal dance didn't work then, i know for the idle re-learn, you can confirm by the results if it takes, but the ECU one seems trickier.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:47 AM
lyndonium

I'm not sure what the pedal dance means (I originally thought it was the air relearn, etc. Maybe its the stomping of the brake pedal after battery disconnect?). I tried the brake pedal and battery disconnect, I mean, maybe I didn't do it correctly. But it didn't work. In the end I just disconnected the battery for more than 24 hours. I started it, no more SEL and no more BOG or high idle.

New characteristic:

The car does idle at 400 instead of 650. I started it up this morning too (after driving about 30 miles last night and letting it cool off overnight). No high idle and no bog, so things are good. Just the lower than usual idle of 400. But I'm confident this will work itself out as the ECU learns whats going on. I could have probably avoided all this and gone to the dealer to have them use the consult to program it, but meh, i'm cheap.

So end result: no SEL (no P0507 or anything), smooth acceleration, and new TB with cleaned MAF. Below average idle, but I'll give it some time and keep you updated. Try the battery pull this weekend though.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Sorry, pedal dance means, the sequence of pedal pushes to complete various operations. There is one for the ECU, it's very similar to the idle re-learn, but ends differently.

Glad yours has now changed, i was informed that all the ECU reset does, is clear codes and reset learned fuel trims. Which i did with my Uprev. But that hasn't done anything for my idle.

If i were you, i would perform the idle air re-learn again, now that the idle has settled, i believe your right about it eventually catching up, but perhaps better not to have it idle/labour so low.

Are you reading idle from the gauge, or from the ECU? I noticed mine reads 100-200 higher than the actual reading.

Thanks for the updates, and i'm glad you were able to fix the issue Kind of opens new questions about what gets reset and how.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:34 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

I'm going to try the pedal dance reset again first;

Reason being, instead of finding the technique, i went and read the FSM and found out what does what, it will be interesting if one thing doesn't work, yet the battery does.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:51 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

So i haven't had chance to do this yet, but i have discovered there is some specifics missing from the guides.

Motordyne's version of it mentions waiting for the faster flashing light rather than the 'just flashing' version, i'll try that tonight.

If you do come back here, let me know how the idle has been holding up.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:34 PM
lyndonium

Hey Max - The idle has been nailed down pretty good. I'm reading it from the dash gauges, not connected to the ECU for a true read. Basically, my needle is sitting just below the halfway point (if you're coming from the 1k line and move counterclockwise).

I drove it to Los Angeles from San Diego on Saturday, I think I might get close to 430 miles on a tank of gas. Is that right? haha. Anyways, idle is smooth and acceleration is just fine.

What's your next step? Try another pedal dance? Have you tried unhooking the battery overnight?
Old 05-08-2012, 02:40 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Yeah the dash gauge on mine is a little off, but the delta is what matters.
The first line down from 1k is 750, so you should see the needle just below here depending on accuracy, did you have something to connect and check it with?

That's great tank range, depends on the mpg, 25 or so I'm guessing?

I'm on the way to my car now to do the corrected pedal dance, if not, ill do the battery pull.
I did find some of my center plenum bolts were loose, but that didn't appear to have affected anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idle air re-learn not being remembered