Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Idle air re-learn not being remembered

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 02:46 PM
lyndonium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so if the first line down from 1k is 750, I'm actually sitting below 500 still. I'll have to figure out what the deal is with low idle, maybe i'll do that motordyne pedal dance tonight too.. you have a link to it?
Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You actually need to do the idle air relearn again.
Below 500 is going to feel pretty rough imo, do you have a way to read the idle from the ecu? Osiris etc?
Old 05-08-2012, 03:35 PM
lyndonium

Nope, don't have any tools. I guess I'll do a search on an "Osiris" haha sorry, I don't know what that is.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:12 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

OK, i think i got the ECU to reset based on initial idle after the pedal dance. However, once warmed up, the idle was the same.

I performed the idle air re-learn, and it was fine the whole time i drove it, turned off once i got home, started and back to high previous idle again. I'll try the battery off this weekend if all else goes according to plan.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Pulled my batt for an hour yesterday, idle no change today
Old 05-15-2012, 06:37 PM
lyndonium

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
Pulled my batt for an hour yesterday, idle no change today
id say pull the plug Friday night and put it back Saturday night 24 hours later. I have to believe it'll work. the ecu needs to drain the caps.. at least that's what I've read
Old 05-15-2012, 06:55 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

That's the only other thing i could think, should get chance this weekend, i think, need the car though, i'll see how the timing works.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:35 PM
IsDatIt

ECM Reflash should Fix it! Fixed Mine.

Unless you F**ed Up your TB!

Good Luck
Old 05-16-2012, 06:59 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

ECM re-flash.... from the dealer you mean? I have Uprev that will get loaded on there soon enough.

But for now, car's at home, so i disconnected the batt last night, will hook it up again tonight and find out tomorrow how it goes.

lyndonium, how is yours running now?
Old 05-16-2012, 04:28 PM
IsDatIt

ECM re-flash.... from the dealer you mean? I have Uprev that will get loaded on there soon enough.

But for now, car's at home, so i disconnected the batt last night, will hook it up again tonight and find out tomorrow how it goes.

lyndonium, how is yours running now?
Yea From The Dealer, The UpRev Flash Should Work Also.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:18 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Interesting, will report back tomorrow once i've tested it, battery re-connect after dinner.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:07 AM
CamiloA98

Hey guys, I know this thread is probably dead, but I read it because I had the same problem and I'm sure other people will read it too...

I cleaned my dirty TB yesterday and all day I had the SES light issue... I just disconnected the battery over night, reconnected the battery, let the engine warm up, and then I performed the idle relearn procedure properly (with a watch). The end result was a nice 600rpm idle.

I really dont know what nissan was thinking when they created this technology, but I long for the old days where all you needed was screwdriver to set your idle...
Old 06-04-2012, 08:50 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Nissan has this as a "back door" to getting the idle and other parameters set properly. This process is normally handled by the Consult system.

There's a whole lot more flexibility in the current technology than screwdriver adjustments ever allowed..
Old 06-04-2012, 12:48 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Camilo is showing his age - sounds like he knows what a carburetor is, lol. As far as the problem, I had a similar problem only it was too high of an idle. Reset would only work until next time I started the car. Couple months later the TB died - replaced with a rebuilt OEM from Nissan for $170 and never a problem since.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:28 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Originally Posted by CamiloA98
Hey guys, I know this thread is probably dead, but I read it because I had the same problem and I'm sure other people will read it too...

I cleaned my dirty TB yesterday and all day I had the SES light issue... I just disconnected the battery over night, reconnected the battery, let the engine warm up, and then I performed the idle relearn procedure properly (with a watch). The end result was a nice 600rpm idle.

I really dont know what nissan was thinking when they created this technology, but I long for the old days where all you needed was screwdriver to set your idle...
Sorry, it's not dead, so much as i've had no further progress with it

Mine happened after a clean as well, however, it wasn't until a few weeks after the clean, in fact, maybe even longer.

Having said that, it was high when i got the car, i fitted the MD 5/16th spacer, and it was great for a couple of months, then after messing with my exhaust (back end) it went high again.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Nissan has this as a "back door" to getting the idle and other parameters set properly. This process is normally handled by the Consult system.

There's a whole lot more flexibility in the current technology than screwdriver adjustments ever allowed..
Interesting, are you sure it actually is a back door, as far as i know and can tell from the FSM, you either do it via consult or the pedal dance.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:30 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Originally Posted by PerfZ
Camilo is showing his age - sounds like he knows what a carburetor is, lol. As far as the problem, I had a similar problem only it was too high of an idle. Reset would only work until next time I started the car. Couple months later the TB died - replaced with a rebuilt OEM from Nissan for $170 and never a problem since.
Heh, i liked it when i moved off carbs to injection so i *didn't* have to set it manually. But it was a lot easier.

So the problem you had was exactly the same as i have, it won't remember between starts.

How did the TB die in the end? obviously or?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:14 PM
CamiloA98

Drove my car all day today and the idle stayed low and slow.

When I was doing research on this matter, I noticed that Nissan put the same TB/ECU system on most of their cars and everyone is frustrated.

The only ones winning from this is the dealers. I bet if I went to the dealers here in Miami, those sharks would tell me I need a new TB, MAF sensor...ect.

This all just sounds like a Jiffy Lube scam lol
Old 06-05-2012, 10:49 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Heh, i liked it when i moved off carbs to injection so i *didn't* have to set it manually. But it was a lot easier.

So the problem you had was exactly the same as i have, it won't remember between starts.

How did the TB die in the end? obviously or?
Very obviously. Jumped on freeway ramp at WOT and poof - limp mode and the dash lit up. Had to get it towed to my office, read the code, called the dealer who had one in stock (of all things) and replaced in under an hour. Think it had around 90k at the time. 120k now, no further problems.
And my first 6 cars had carbs, lol.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:45 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Hmm, that sucks

Quick Reply: Idle air re-learn not being remembered