Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 12:49 PM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tommy smith = 370's biggest dick rider
Old 08-27-2014, 01:15 PM
breilly127

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to most of you for helping. I'll try those things. To the rest of you, you need to work on your interpersonal communication skills as you clearly have none. I asked what might be the issue and how might I go about solving it. You said to put it in the junkyard. Very helpful.... You could have simply stated that as things get older, they become less efficient. Even though I already knew that, it would have still been much more helpful than, "Most cars that year are in a junkyard."
Old 08-27-2014, 04:11 PM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say ban on tommy smith since he comes in just about every thread an turns it into diarrhea.... but at this point, I need him around for entertainment purposes

OP don't worry he's our comic relief. But seriously take that KnN outta there and put a stock paper filter back in and give it a shot. lately there have been lots of reports from forums and members from all makes actually losing power with KnN. I seen a few dyno too that back it up. In the 5.0 community we saw Lower dynos consistently! With 3 hard runs back to back with and without KnN
Old 08-27-2014, 04:19 PM
jtbinvalrico

To the OP, welcome. Whether you bought a four year old Z, or a ten year old Z......my advice would be the same: Return the car to it's baseline. That means undoing any improper tweaks that were done. That means putting in the correct plugs and fluids, etc. Assume that your car has been hacked on by someone who didn't care. Assume that whoever did the work simply used what they had on the shelf.

Unless you know for certain that the car is at spec, you're going to aggravate an unseen problem, or miss the obvious and easy fix under your nose. This is true whether you plan to enjoy the car stock, or add the turbos and what-not down the road.

Stick around. We got it all.....stock, FI, big builds, flapjacks.......
Old 08-27-2014, 04:26 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

tommy, please but down the crack pipe and take two steps back..... you are delusional sir
Old 08-27-2014, 04:45 PM
tommy smith

Default no soup for you

................... Get it ???
Old 08-27-2014, 05:23 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

OP
Do the cheap/easy stuff first,
Berry man B 12 injector cleaner,
Best street gas you can get,
Stock air filter and box if you have them. If you don't, listen for hissing air leaks.
Good luck with your car and by all means ignore d1ck posters.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:47 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tommy is smoking crack .
Old 08-27-2014, 07:08 PM
NismoDude

Originally Posted by breilly127
Hi all. First post. I apologize if it is in the wrong section as I am new to the site.
I just bought a 2003 Enthusiast 350z with 70,000 miles. The numbers float around a bit, but online it says it should get to 60 somewhere around 5.5 or so. I'm consistently getting 6.2's. The only modification was a aftermarket grill that the previous owner put in and a K&N drop in filter I put in.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Or a solution?

Is 5.5 a correct estimate for what it should be?

I'm looking to start adding mods, but I want to make sure I'm starting from a good baseline. WHY IS IT SO SLOW!?

Published times are usually with PROFESSIONAL drivers under very controlled conditions.

Unlikely you would recreate that using your iPhone timer or G-pro in front of your house.

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
If your car normally runs well (as it should with only 70k miles) but seems slightly off the mark with full throttle high RPM sprints consider checking for proper operation of the knock sensor. It could be that Knock sensor is pulling the spark timing back from full advance at high RPM.

A man in my neighborhood has a Subaru WRX sti that was more than a match power wise to my Z. On a long steep hill near us I was able to not only pull around and pass him, but I kinda blew his doors off as I went by. It turned out an overly reactive knock sensor was the problem.

I don’t know how you can check for this. Or even if this is as common an occurrence with the Z as it can be with Subaru’s, but both cars use a very similar system.
You sure he wasn't just trying to check your 6 as you passed him?
Old 08-27-2014, 07:10 PM
NismoDude

Originally Posted by gabez33
tommy smith = 370's biggest dick rider

Classy.

Originally Posted by breilly127
Thanks to most of you for helping. I'll try those things. To the rest of you, you need to work on your interpersonal communication skills as you clearly have none. I asked what might be the issue and how might I go about solving it. You said to put it in the junkyard. Very helpful.... You could have simply stated that as things get older, they become less efficient. Even though I already knew that, it would have still been much more helpful than, "Most cars that year are in a junkyard."

All in good fun.

Grow a thicker skin and hang around.

some good info to be found in here, hidden between all the insults and such.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Chrismx5

I bet OP is shifting at the red line.

Although the redline is there, the car may not be making power the whole way up, shifting at around 6800 in the HR is about bang on for me.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:28 PM
tommy smith

Default I deleted my posts - you're wasting your time

Originally Posted by NismoDude
Published times are usually with PROFESSIONAL drivers under very controlled conditions.

Unlikely you would recreate that using your iPhone timer or G-pro in front of your house.

You sure he wasn't just trying to check your 6 as you passed him?
Gave them much information & covered the subject you just posted 10 times square. They just don't get it, don't appreciate it.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:47 PM
NismoDude

Originally Posted by tommy smith
Gave them much information & covered the subject you just posted 10 times square. They just don't get it, don't appreciate it.
TMI ???
Old 08-27-2014, 07:53 PM
tommy smith

Default TM info ??? Maybe also

Originally Posted by NismoDude
TMI ???
It's my personality/style & they sound very young.

It's late G N....