Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Safe to Redline?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 02:02 AM
Pengu

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
guess we aren't going to get an answer.
I just like how he tried to be a smart *** to you, and it back fired Guarantee it was just the light.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:37 AM
Will273

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travlee I checked out the 2 links and read in the title on second link that the car was wrecked and that's all it said...nothing about the wreck or what happened. Is there more or did I miss something? So far I don't see your point...I am aware accidents can happen to anyone at any time...is that what you're saying?

Thanks Deboyz for the photo and everyone else. Having to drive in slow traffic most of the time in lower RPMs makes it seem like something might happen to the engine if I get up near the redline. Might just take a little getting used to but I feel better about it now.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:17 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

5 months from the time he got his dream car until he totalled it, it happens all too often with younger inexperienced drivers. he didnt tell how he did it probably because he was trying to pull some "sick drifts" and smacked a curb or something.

i dont see the point of taking the car to redline just driving on the streets, but i guess that is the difference between you and i. just drive the car and enjoy it
Old 05-12-2016, 03:46 AM
Will273

Travlee...we're on the same page. I'm 63 and probably one of the safest drivers around. Hard to read a person on the internet but I'm not some irresponsible kid that's running around with my hair on fire....trust me even though I might sound irresponsible in this thread...I'm not. I drive defensively and keep my head on a swivel. I want to punch it once in a while up to the speed limit on an empty road with no traffic but that's about it. I'm not into driving like that all the time everywhere I go and sorry if I gave that impression which I may have done. Generally I think like you.

By the way...just washed, clay barred and waxed my car the day before yesterday at my brothers house. Was on my way home, stopped at a red light and the guy behind me bumped into me when the light turned green...I took off slow. Anyway I freaked, we both pulled over and checked for damage and there was none...thank God. Was expecting a cracked bumper, missing paint and scratches. There was a little dent about 2 inches but hardly noticeable so everything was good overall.

Anyway I know where you're coming from and agree with what you're saying.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:54 AM
travlee
Master

you did kinda come across as a snot faced kid, hence my response. with the car becoming cheaper it is easier for sandwich artist and burger flippers to obtain, and they tend to wreck them (if you want a good laugh, read this thread https://my350z.com/forum/the-lounge-...giving-46.html ). i will offer my apology for my brashness (doesnt happen very often)
Old 05-12-2016, 04:02 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Wow... And here is another entertaining one, with a corvette pun right in the first 30 seconds.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:22 AM
Will273

Kind of wondered if I came across like that so guess I did...my fault not yours. Checked out the link...so sad and have to admit I've been lucky...was a kid myself at one time and hopefully he learned something...time will tell.

There are some videos on you-tube like that. Do a search for something like stupid drivers with high performance cars or something like that. Watched a few the other day and they were painful to watch. Morons like that kid driving Ferraris, Lambos, GT-Rs, Bugattis, Jaguars, corvettes, etc. They should have to pass a mental exam before buying a car like these and they have no business behind the wheel of any car. Such a waste and makes me wonder where their heads are. They literally treat these cars like something on it's way to a junk yard, like trash. They have no respect for the time and money involved in building one of these. Just trash it and buy another one...they belong in a nut house but they probably are CEOs of multi million dollar companies...go figure. Thanks man.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:28 AM
travlee
Master

so the first wreck was a member here. think it was sparklecityhop
Old 05-12-2016, 08:30 AM
corbin9

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought another Z as a project car (have had 4 z/g's) and it has spent more time above 5k rpms over the past 3 weeks than under. I am actually taking it to the track this weekend for shakedown. It also has 130k miles haha. I did all of the maintenance then let her rip... Your car will be fine, have fun and stay safe!
Old 05-12-2016, 08:50 AM
Will273

Ok...at the risk of sounding like a complete moron I'll ask anyway...better than blowing the engine. Still unsure about running up to the redline in first gear. Just drove to the store and ran the RPMs up around 5000 in first gear then backed off as I wasn't going any higher...engine was winding out pretty good almost screaming. I don't think first gear is meant to be run that high...is it? It's not like I'm going to run it like that all the time...I'm not but it makes me wonder if you should even run it that high in first...maybe the other gears but first...I have my doubts. Again I'm not trying to blow the engine but just looking for reasonable limits. I know the redline's there to let you know it's the limit but as of now I'm unsure about getting anywhere near it. How high do some of you go in first gear?

By the way I've been driving a 93 Olds Cutlass for the last 15 years so this is a change for me and a learning experience.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:41 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

This has to be a troll thread...

Edit: how high in 1st do i go? Til the needle is bouncing around.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:43 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by corbin9
I just bought another Z as a project car (have had 4 z/g's) and it has spent more time above 5k rpms over the past 3 weeks than under. I am actually taking it to the track this weekend for shakedown. It also has 130k miles haha. I did all of the maintenance then let her rip... Your car will be fine, have fun and stay safe!
cresson?
Old 05-12-2016, 09:49 AM
RushNY

Originally Posted by Will273
Ok...at the risk of sounding like a complete moron I'll ask anyway...better than blowing the engine. Still unsure about running up to the redline in first gear. Just drove to the store and ran the RPMs up around 5000 in first gear then backed off as I wasn't going any higher...engine was winding out pretty good almost screaming. I don't think first gear is meant to be run that high...is it? It's not like I'm going to run it like that all the time...I'm not but it makes me wonder if you should even run it that high in first...maybe the other gears but first...I have my doubts. Again I'm not trying to blow the engine but just looking for reasonable limits. I know the redline's there to let you know it's the limit but as of now I'm unsure about getting anywhere near it. How high do some of you go in first gear?

By the way I've been driving a 93 Olds Cutlass for the last 15 years so this is a change for me and a learning experience.
Redline is there to be used, if it wasn't safe they would make it lower. Obviously you'd want to be up to operating temperature before you do it but that should go without saying. Watch out for wheelspin powershifting into 2nd if your tires are bald.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:57 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Yeah 1st gear red line is all good.. The only 2 you probably wont ever get to redline are 5th and 6th...

Can tell your last car wasn't an s2k, that car doesn't even get happy till 6k
Old 05-12-2016, 10:30 AM
Will273

Didn't mean to keep beating a dead horse but thanks guys. Will just have to feel it out...not really used to hearing an engine scream like that in first gear. Love the sound if it's coming from someone else's car just a little hesitant when it's coming from mine...kind of want to avoid any shrapnel flying around. Thanks again.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:44 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Yeah 1st gear red line is all good.. The only 2 you probably wont ever get to redline are 5th and 6th...

Can tell your last car wasn't an s2k, that car doesn't even get happy till 6k
9k redline is the mother of street cars. Lol in other words, nothing but pure unconditional love
Old 05-12-2016, 01:42 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by turboed350z
9k redline is the mother of street cars. Lol in other words, nothing but pure unconditional love
I almost got one back in 04 I was going to trade in my 02 rsx for a 99 s2k when I test drove it the salesman in the passenger seat was like

I was like I should have gotten it
Old 05-12-2016, 03:13 PM
corbin9

No matter what gear, 7k rpm is 7k rpm to your motor... I think this may be a joke thread though.. if so you win haha.

Trav im heading out to Mineral Wells this weekend for drifting, but I did build the car to do both with some alignment adjustments so this thing will be seeing a lot of track days.

I got a 2012 grand sport vette as a daily, and until I can afford to go crazy with it, this Z is going to be my "track fix" car.

Hope to see ya soon, I owe Jake a visit.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:27 PM
travlee
Master

was wondering if it was the same corbin. GS huh, if and when you get ready to do work to it, visit 21st century muscle cars in addison. it is one of the Lingenfelter kids shop. they did the heads, headers and tune on mine, this december they are porting and polishing the throttle body, gt20 cam, and retune.... should put me about 560 ish whp
Old 05-13-2016, 03:02 AM
Will273

Corbin...I wasn't joking and for Turboed...I wasn't asking how high do I go...I was asking how high can it go. Just seems like 7500 is out of the normal range for first gear redline or not which is why I was asking. I can understand why you thought that but everything's good. It'll take some time getting used to this car and I'm glad for all the replies...thanks again.

Quick Reply: Safe to Redline?