Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

SOLVED: P0340/ P1078 No Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Codenamecody

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOLVED: P0340/ P1078 No Start Issue

Figured I'd post my findings after a pretty frustrating troubleshooting session with these engine position sensors.

The problem started off as the engine randomly refusing to start once in a while on very hot southern California days while the engine was still warm. I would open the hood for a few minutes and then it would start right up with no code. Eventually the problem got worse so that if I was driving during a hot day, I would momentarily lose power on occasion. When this happened, it threw a code and the SLIP light turned on until I turned the engine off. The code was P0340, which points to the passenger side camshaft position sensor, which I replaced. The issue just got worse, but it was still intermittent, and I ended up replacing the other camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor. Eventually it threw another code: P1078, which points to the EVT (exhaust valve timing) position sensor. Luckily, one of the camshaft position sensors is the same type as these, so I took one I had replaced and replaced the passenger side EVT sensor with it and it seems to start okay now.

A couple things I learned along the way that may be useful:
-I had to rule out an issue with the wiring harness, and the best way to do that for me was to check for power with the key on, then just measure the resistance to ground with the key off of the other two pins. Obviously ground should be close to zero, but the middle pin was ~10k (10,000 ohms) on each of the sensors. This makes sense because the ecu probably uses a 10k pull-down resistor internally.
-The two camshaft position sensors on the backside of the engine can be different from each other, but they don't have to be. On my engine they were the same (both straight), the replacements have one straight sensor and one has an angle in it.
-The amazon camshaft position sensors work just fine. I got both for $20.
-Not all engines have variable valve timing on the exhaust, mine does. I can never remember whether its HR or rev-up or whatever. (It's a 2006 Manual Coupe Touring)
-The factory service manual is incredibly useful if you take the time to learn how to use it. It is pretty easy to find online, or if you PM me I can email it to you.
-CHECK YOUR OIL! I was waaay low this time. I have some sort of oil consumption issue. I've heard a few different explanations (valve seals, pcv system, etc) but in reality it's not really worth fixing to me. If it's valve seals its too expensive, if its the pcv system then I would have to empty a catch can anyway... might as well burn it.