Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

clogged coolant passages

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 07:54 PM
doc_sus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clogged coolant passages

My 350z has been overheating ever since the new (used) engine was installed. After numerous attempts of trouble shooting, and due to low compression on one cylinder, I dreaded tearing it down and seeing the head gasket condition.

Yesterday, I did just that, however there was no blown gasket. The oil was a milkshake consistency from mixing with the coolant and both head gaskets are covered in this gunk! inside the coolant jackets there is junk built up on the walls and at the base of the jacket, it looks like mud/sludge. Im guessing the previous owner put some type of gasket quick fix in it, based on what Ive seen from searching Google.

Ive included a picture of the gasket to give you a better idea of what Im talking about.

My question is what do I use and how do I clean this crap out!?

I have the heads off and the rest of the engine is still bolted up. If anyone has done this, or knows of the most efficient way to get this crap out, and what to use to soak, scrub, etc and especially with the engine still in the car, I would greatly appreciate the tips and advice!

Wish me luck lol

Old 12-05-2016, 08:15 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

In a perfect world, you'd get the block decks planed and heads resurfaced at the very least. Use all new gaskets and torque everything in correct sequence in 3 stages with a quality torque wrench.

On a lower budget you can try to scrape everything close to sterile and use all new gaskets, follow head bolt directions. I would then do a compression check before adding coolant. Good luck!
Old 12-05-2016, 08:21 PM
doc_sus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks jhc, Ive been reading about vinegar flushes followed by 2-3 tbs of baking soda/gallon of distilled water will break apart the build up. Since I have it apart, Id like to clean out this the best possible. I have a gasket set ready to be put on, but I didnt anticipate running into this problem of gunk build up.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jhc
In a perfect world, you'd get the block decks planed and heads resurfaced at the very least. Use all new gaskets and torque everything in correct sequence in 3 stages with a quality torque wrench.

On a lower budget you can try to scrape everything close to sterile and use all new gaskets, follow head bolt directions. I would then do a compression check before adding coolant. Good luck!
Plus 1

If you plan on keeping the car do it right like the above said.
The following users liked this post:
Conway_160 (01-05-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 09:20 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

What even is that?

Did someone use JB weld and Elmer's glue as coolant?