Notices

DIY plenum porting

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn Jeremy need some Vagisil? You know I wasnt ragging on you either man, I know the kind of guy you are - doing things yourself much like me. Just wanted to give you my opinion of it so you dont expect anything outrageous...
Old 05-02-2006, 09:08 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This site is a good read for anyone thinking about doing any porting and polishing of the heads or any part of the intake system on any car.

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.shtm

I was going to attempt to port and polish my heads at one time but decided against it. But i have tossed around porting the lower intake manifold myself. You can buy port and polish kits for around $30 to $50. So that part is not too expensive, its the knowledge and know how that is the expensive part ( if you know what i mean ) But then thats what JB weld is for LOL.

http://www.martelbrothers.com/catalo...t-p-12122.html

I will say this, with in the past 4 months of the almost 4 YEARS i have been on this site, I have noticed more and more people trying to do things on their own. And it is becoming more and more exciting. Everyone is willing to try new things. From tuning their own car to porting their own heads and installing their own turbo kits.

There is so much to learn, and i for one like many others on here enjoy helping people out. So if there is something that i figured out from tuning with the utec or porting out the heads or lower intake, i would help people recieve the same results.

I dont mind paying for the work that a performance shop has put into a product. But i fill so much more pleasure in doing it myself. Its fun and its a hobby. Sometimes way to expensive

So keep up the good work guys.

Later
Aceman
Old 05-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^ +1 We all benefit from others trial and errors if it works or if it doesnt...
Old 05-02-2006, 10:22 AM
bilinghm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aceman
I have mine just sitting around since the SSV Kinetix is on the car now. SO depending on what you are talking about doing to the plenum, i may be game. Always willing to try something new.

Later
Aceman
Ace,

It will be easier to show you what I have in mind than tell you. I will draw some lines on my plenum and I think you will understand the concept. I will post some pictures tonight.

Bill
Old 05-02-2006, 10:25 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Originally Posted by bilinghm
Ace,

It will be easier to show you what I have in mind than tell you. I will draw some lines on my plenum and I think you will understand the concept. I will post some pictures tonight.

Bill

Sounds good

Later
Aceman
Old 05-02-2006, 10:45 AM
atlsupdawg#2

Anybody up for an experiment?

I have an idea for modifying the lower plenum that is a pretty radical departure from what is currently being done. You guys know that I have apretty decent degree of skill at doing the machine work, so here is the proposal.

If someone will ship to me a good lower plenum, I will carryout a complete machining job and return it in a couple of weeks. I will post a record of the modifications for all to see. No secrets here. all that is required is that my "partner" in this experiment install the plenum and dyno test it.

My idea may be a big winner or a big loser. Anybody intersted?
Could be fun

Bill

Bill,
I'm in Atlanta as well and would be willing to drop you mine. One condition if it's workable though My honda took a dump so I'm communting more in the Z until I have time to get under the hood. If you have just a stock plenum to swap for a bit you can take mine...

BTW, don't mean to get off topic but are you the Delta pilot that does powder coating??

Last edited by atlsupdawg#2; 05-02-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:57 AM
bilinghm

Originally Posted by atlsupdawg#2
Bill,
I'm in Atlanta as well and would be willing to drop you mine. One condition if it's workable though My honda took a dump so I'm communting more in the Z until I have time to get under the hood. If you have just a stock plenum to swap for a bit you can take mine...
Unfortunately I don't have a plenum to exchange. However, let me do a post on my ideas along with some pictures this evening. Maybe you will be interested, maybe you will want to pass. Hey who knows, Maybe Hydrazine will chime in and tell us that he has already tried what I am going to propose, and that it doesn't work. (is this really rocket science?)
Old 05-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

actually there is a lot of science put into it, but who cares!! maybe one of us can get lucky.... hehehe
Old 05-02-2006, 12:42 PM
ATL_Red_G35

Cool Bill,

I'm interested. May drop you mine

Last edited by ATL_Red_G35; 05-02-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:13 PM
allen22

http://www.engineswaptech.com/photos...picture73.aspx

You guys may get a kick out of my project. I've got 9" from the floor to the back of the valve.

allen

Last edited by allen22; 05-02-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:28 PM
orions empire

SO, ppl after all these talking what was the output after the polishing?

Post Dyno's NO B.S.

OE
Old 05-02-2006, 05:14 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by allen22
You guys may get a kick out of my project. I've got 9" from the floor to the back of the valve.
That looks darn interesting...where can I follow progress?
Old 05-02-2006, 06:29 PM
bilinghm

O.K. here is my idea for an improved plenum. I would do all of the previously discussed modifications, plus I would change the angle of the mouth of each runner. I would “lay back” the bell mouth between 5 and 10 degrees (85 to 80) instead of the current 90 degree angle. The shaded area in the photo would be milled off, with the ports ground and blended.

I theorize that slicing the opening on an angle would increase the area of the opening and promote flow without altering the runner length to any significant degree. Result, more torque/power.

See the pictures, please give your comments and thoughts.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails DIY plenum porting-proposal1.jpg   DIY plenum porting-proposal2.jpg  
Old 05-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

O.K. here is my idea for an improved plenum. I would do all of the previously discussed modifications, plus I would change the angle of the mouth of each runner. I would “lay back” the bell mouth between 5 and 10 degrees (85 to 80) instead of the current 90 degree angle. The shaded area in the photo would be milled off, with the ports ground and blended.

I theorize that slicing the opening on an angle would increase the area of the opening and promote flow without altering the runner length to any significant degree. Result, more torque/power.

Bill
Interesting idea, DO IT!
Old 05-02-2006, 06:48 PM
MustGoFastR

Sweet! Can't wait to see the results!
Old 05-02-2006, 06:52 PM
ct350z

go for it homie!!!!
Old 05-02-2006, 07:16 PM
StarcraftBW

Great idea................subscribing

Bill
Old 05-03-2006, 02:29 AM
aleok

hmmm interesting. do it! and let us know how it turned out.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:13 AM
allen22

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
That looks darn interesting...where can I follow progress?
I'll continue updates and new pics at www.engineswaptech.com but the original post is here
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Fred
Old 05-03-2006, 05:29 AM
purecaine

Nice!! Subscribed!

Quick Reply: DIY plenum porting