Notices
Engine Swaps For all your engine swap experiences, ideas, questions, & more..

RB26DETT 2007 350z swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
Some dudes in Australia put a 20B in a 350Z too.
[url]
That's interesting. I def wouldn't put a 13b in a z or any nissan product but i like the originality. My buddy went thru 13B motors like it was no thing.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:53 PM
AngelsVQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subed for pics (and to see if you go through with it)
Old 03-09-2011, 06:17 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Call me crazy, but is it worthwhile to modify an RB26DETT to a single turbo? Why not simply start with an RB25DET instead?

Also, in your first post, it sounds like you started the ball rolling with ordering the engine, but then at the end it sounds like you are looking for final inputs and justification to move forward.

Also, what kind of "track" do you plan to take it to? i.e. road courses or drag strips? Do you have much experience at either? Are you doing any suspension work? How does the weight of the prepped RB compare to that of the VQ?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:50 AM
xJC350x

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Scott, the RB26 is a great engine in twin or single Turbo form. Twin turbo setup is nice for quicker spool time but the single turbo will yield more power up top. I guess it is a matter of preference... either way you can't go wrong.

As far as the engine situation, the ball is completely rolling and yet I just wanted some input before I put the engine in. The engine is coming from Japan so it will be at least another two weeks or so before I get the engine. I thought it would be nice to see some of the ups and downs, flaws, and any things i might need to do or be aware of before the finished product goes in the car.

I will take it to the drag strip a couple times just so I can see what kind of times I am running. I have dragged my car a lot already so yes I have experience. However, I do not have actual track racing experience, which I plan on getting some this summer The weight of the engines are a little different but the balance is different. The RB26 with the tranny is roughly 585 lbs and the VQ slightly less (maybe somebody else could weigh in here if I am wrong). The RB26 is balanced towards the read more making the weight distribution around the same as the VQ. And I already have suspension work done but there is more to come...
Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 AM
xJC350x

The Work has begun and here are my first pix of my project...

IMAG0311.jpg
Attached Thumbnails RB26DETT 2007 350z swap-imag0297.jpg   RB26DETT 2007 350z swap-imag0305.jpg   RB26DETT 2007 350z swap-imag0301.jpg   RB26DETT 2007 350z swap-imag0307.jpg   RB26DETT 2007 350z swap-imag0312.jpg  

Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 AM
iNi_REALiZED

Originally Posted by xJC350x
Hey Scott, the RB26 is a great engine in twin or single Turbo form. Twin turbo setup is nice for quicker spool time but the single turbo will yield more power up top. I guess it is a matter of preference... either way you can't go wrong.

As far as the engine situation, the ball is completely rolling and yet I just wanted some input before I put the engine in. The engine is coming from Japan so it will be at least another two weeks or so before I get the engine. I thought it would be nice to see some of the ups and downs, flaws, and any things i might need to do or be aware of before the finished product goes in the car.

I will take it to the drag strip a couple times just so I can see what kind of times I am running. I have dragged my car a lot already so yes I have experience. However, I do not have actual track racing experience, which I plan on getting some this summer The weight of the engines are a little different but the balance is different. The RB26 with the tranny is roughly 585 lbs and the VQ slightly less (maybe somebody else could weigh in here if I am wrong). The RB26 is balanced towards the read more making the weight distribution around the same as the VQ. And I already have suspension work done but there is more to come...
I remember reading.. and I'm not sure if this was for 350's or 240's, but with the RB swap they tend to sit lower, and further back in the engine bay creating good balance, and better weight distribution. Then again I could of made that all up, can anyone chime in?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:02 AM
xJC350x

^ You and I are on the same page. The RB is slightly heavier but the weight distribution of it is better and sits more to the rear of the engine.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

As someone else stated the oil pumps are weak unless you have an engine out of a R34, parts are also difficult to source and if you want to build the RB it will be very pricey as well. I think you are taking about 10 steps back here. I have a close friend that has build several RBs and he does great fab work and he tried his hardest to get me to let him do a 26 swap into my car so I considered it but it would be laggy and the torque would be much less than the 3.5L (I actually went 3.8L). You may be able to make the same power with the RB26 that you would with your built HR and TT kit may be similar but the torque under the curve will be a massive advantage for the HR. The HR would be alot more fun to drive on the street with way more torque and less lag but I guess you can tell people you have an RB26 in your 350Z . As far as cost....your new shop seems to have up sold you, you had all of the parts required to make +700whp and they talked you into rebuying all new parts for your new build from them a great buisness stratagy but not cost effective for you.

Good luck.
Let us know the final cost, I am curious to see if you will be under the cost of what it would have cost to finish your current build. If you do not get an R34 engine replace the oil pump ASAP!!!! I have seen too many dead RBs due to failed oil pumps

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 03-09-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:39 AM
ocdz

Originally Posted by drivessidewayz
Nobody else has asked this so perhaps it's an obvious question, but why drop a turbo from the build?

If you want something really unique, perhaps try a civic engine? I bet no one's done that :P
YEA! why not an F20C from a S2000? slap on a big turbo and you could easily hit 500 whp and at least 200tq. This would have WAY better weight distribution that your old cast iron nissan anchor!

sorry to spam your thread
Old 03-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i say be the first and go for this..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...Q5fAccessories
Old 03-09-2011, 11:22 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by ryamartin
YEA! why not an F20C from a S2000? slap on a big turbo and you could easily hit 500 whp and at least 200tq. This would have WAY better weight distribution that your old cast iron nissan anchor!

sorry to spam your thread
Which is cast iron? I know the VG30 is, but didn't think the RB was (and I know the VQ isn't).
Old 03-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by scotts300
Which is cast iron? I know the VG30 is, but didn't think the RB was (and I know the VQ isn't).
yeah the RB is iron
Old 03-09-2011, 12:47 PM
xJC350x

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
As someone else stated the oil pumps are weak unless you have an engine out of a R34, parts are also difficult to source and if you want to build the RB it will be very pricey as well. I think you are taking about 10 steps back here. I have a close friend that has build several RBs and he does great fab work and he tried his hardest to get me to let him do a 26 swap into my car so I considered it but it would be laggy and the torque would be much less than the 3.5L (I actually went 3.8L). You may be able to make the same power with the RB26 that you would with your built HR and TT kit may be similar but the torque under the curve will be a massive advantage for the HR. The HR would be alot more fun to drive on the street with way more torque and less lag but I guess you can tell people you have an RB26 in your 350Z . As far as cost....your new shop seems to have up sold you, you had all of the parts required to make +700whp and they talked you into rebuying all new parts for your new build from them a great buisness stratagy but not cost effective for you.

Good luck.
Let us know the final cost, I am curious to see if you will be under the cost of what it would have cost to finish your current build. If you do not get an R34 engine replace the oil pump ASAP!!!! I have seen too many dead RBs due to failed oil pumps
For sure the engine will be out of a R34 somewhere between 2000-2002 year model engine. My shop has made me aware of the oil pump issues but all that is covered in the build. I understand what you mean about torque and drivability around town... I really love the torque of the VQ and I know I am going to miss it. BUT I wonder how much worse is it going to be if I go Twin to Single turbo. Here is what I was just talking to my Dad about:

The engine is 100% for sure a go, BUT I still have some time to decide if I am going to keep the twins or go single. What do you think? If we are talking about a few hundred RPM difference in lag that is not too bad, but when I am driving around town how noticeable will it be? I have time to say lets keep the twins, but will the single truly yield me more power?
From what I understand, it will give me more power in the upper RPM ranges, but it will be a dog below say 4,000 rpm. Twins will give me more power down low but will "run out of legs" quicker than the single once I am up at about 6,000+ RPM, But if it isn't significantly less then I don't mind sticking with twins... Help please! lol.
My scenario: Daily Driver, like torque and boost to kick in as low as possible (I drive an AMG E55 so I am used to 500+wheel torque) however I know this won't match that at all unless I am pushing some ridiculous amount of boost, be a great DD, and (very) occasional track use. And another goal high on my priority is to be able to beat the AMG in the quarter mile. I know my goals are lofty, but I like to be hopeful. Sorry for being so long winded.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:29 PM
xJC350x

Oh and hey everybody, please check out the parts I listed on the For sale section please. I am going to add a brand new rebuilt HR engine and Transmission within a day or two as well. All must Go ASAP! Thanks.

Now back to the discussion :-) And thank you for all your feedback as this is very helpful in making some decisions, I appreciate it.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:48 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

You could do a sequential turbo setup
Old 03-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

I have driven and raced against TT RBs and I would go with one of them, This one below had twin GT28s I think he made 500whp on his built RB26 an now he is looking for +550whp and maxing out the turbos. it made nice torque and was blast to drive. I would look into twin GT28s they are good but limited around 550whp(I wouldnt take a stock RB above that) or GT3071s they would give ok mid range and good top end with out the lag of say a T88 or GT42 single.

Name:  IMG_3680.jpg
Views: 3526
Size:  181.9 KB
Old 03-09-2011, 02:38 PM
xJC350x

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
I have driven and raced against TT RBs and I would go with one of them, This one below had twin GT28s I think he made 500whp on his built RB26 an now he is looking for +550whp and maxing out the turbos. it made nice torque and was blast to drive. I would look into twin GT28s they are good but limited around 550whp(I wouldnt take a stock RB above that) or GT3071s they would give ok mid range and good top end with out the lag of say a T88 or GT42 single.

WOW! What a beautiful setup... If mine looks almost as good as that I will be happy If you remember, how much torque was this setup pushing and at what RPM? Did you have to raise the RPMs significantly before feeling the boost kick in? I would definitely consider the twin turbos, yet considering also that eventually I would like to build the internals and port and polish the heads I might look at something capable of maybe 600-650whp. Also, with stock internals twins will push 500 whp with no problems right? You guys are starting to sale me on twins over the single setup. The more informed I am the better decision I can make within the next week. Thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

GARRETT RB26DETT "GRUP-N" TURBO UPGRADE
[GRT-707160] $1,889.99

Garrett Grup-N ball bearing 'drop in' replacement turbo upgrades for all RB26DETT series.

The turbo is rated at 600+hp flow rate, stock replacement.

For the price, it can be considered the best bang for your RB26 bucks.

http://www.enjukuracing.com/garrett-...de-p-9170.html
Old 03-09-2011, 03:37 PM
iNi_REALiZED

Originally Posted by xJC350x
For sure the engine will be out of a R34 somewhere between 2000-2002 year model engine. My shop has made me aware of the oil pump issues but all that is covered in the build. I understand what you mean about torque and drivability around town... I really love the torque of the VQ and I know I am going to miss it. BUT I wonder how much worse is it going to be if I go Twin to Single turbo. Here is what I was just talking to my Dad about:

The engine is 100% for sure a go, BUT I still have some time to decide if I am going to keep the twins or go single. What do you think? If we are talking about a few hundred RPM difference in lag that is not too bad, but when I am driving around town how noticeable will it be? I have time to say lets keep the twins, but will the single truly yield me more power?
From what I understand, it will give me more power in the upper RPM ranges, but it will be a dog below say 4,000 rpm. Twins will give me more power down low but will "run out of legs" quicker than the single once I am up at about 6,000+ RPM, But if it isn't significantly less then I don't mind sticking with twins... Help please! lol.
My scenario: Daily Driver, like torque and boost to kick in as low as possible (I drive an AMG E55 so I am used to 500+wheel torque) however I know this won't match that at all unless I am pushing some ridiculous amount of boost, be a great DD, and (very) occasional track use. And another goal high on my priority is to be able to beat the AMG in the quarter mile. I know my goals are lofty, but I like to be hopeful. Sorry for being so long winded.
I think this is really a open dialog you should have with your shop. It seems you've already pulled the trigger, the last thing you need to do is discuss the different options. Be upfront about your expectations and preference on a usable power band or just a high hp yield. If the are as reputable as you say they are they should be able to give you several different options and let you decide upon your preference and budget.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:02 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Sylvan Lake. I personally wouldn't trade the larger displacement and torque of a VQ for an RB26.

That being said... regarding the twin vs single turbo discussion... You should seriously look into the Borg Warner EFR turbos. A local guy here in AZ has one on his R34 and it supposedly spools quicker than his previous twin turbo setup. I think he had stock twins before, but I'm not sure. Regardless, the EFR turbos fit on Full Race's twin scroll manifold that they make for the RB26. It might be a nice way to have your cake and eat it too with regards to quick spool and nice top end power.

The Gamma-Ti turbine wheel on the EFR turbos is supposedly about 50% lighter than a comparable inconel turbine wheel.

From Full Race's web page about the EFR turbos:
The most exciting technology in the EFR package is the low inertia Gamma-Ti Turbine Wheel. All EFR turbine wheels are made from a high performance lightweight material known as "Gamma-Ti". This material innovation is not quite metal and not quite ceramic, it is considered an "inter-metallic compound". Comprised primarily of titanium and aluminum (titanium-aluminide) with other trace elements, the Gamma-Ti turbine wheel is so light it's nearly the same weight as the forged-machined aluminum compressor wheel. This approximate 1:1 turbine:compressor weight ratio dramatically improves turbo response.

http://www.full-race.com/articles/bo...fr-turbos.html

Quick Reply: RB26DETT 2007 350z swap