Notices
Engine Swaps For all your engine swap experiences, ideas, questions, & more..

RB26DETT 2007 350z swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:44 PM
xJC350x

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iNi_REALiZED
I think this is really a open dialog you should have with your shop. It seems you've already pulled the trigger, the last thing you need to do is discuss the different options. Be upfront about your expectations and preference on a usable power band or just a high hp yield. If the are as reputable as you say they are they should be able to give you several different options and let you decide upon your preference and budget.
You are correct, I will speak with him this evening after work. He does know my power goals, He assured me that with the Single setup I will achieve at least 500hp. Now, I don't want to get caught up on the number as much as I want useable under the curve power. I would be disappointed to have something that has peak horsepower at high RPM and everything below that is negligible. But they assured me this would be a quick responsive setup and yield the goal numbers of at least 500... saying that, yes, I have pulled the trigger on this engine but the engine won't be shipped out until next week, so I have options on staying with twins or going single. I asked him which turbos we would go with and we will actually pick them out sometime later this week. I personally liked what he was saying about the single and that it will still be super responsive, but I like what you guys are saying about the twins and I know that the twins will be a great around town car... Keep the great info coming, it is tremendously helping me out in my decision making.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:05 PM
xJC350x

Rude G, I will check those turbos out later tonight. you guys are starting to lean back toward the twin setup, which I know will be more economical and responsive for city driving...
Old 03-09-2011, 05:11 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xJC350x
Rude G, I will check those turbos out later tonight. you guys are starting to lean back toward the twin setup, which I know will be more economical and responsive for city driving...
Just to clarify... that local R34 is running a single EFR turbo and I've been told that it's VERY responsive; not laggy at all. Full Race is local here in Phoenix and I think his R34 is the same one that Full Race featured at SEMA with this turbo. There are some youtube vids of it.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 03-09-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 PM
xJC350x

That R34 is pretty bad man... it is like 750 hp! I wonder is he flooring it when he hits about 3k RPM or if he is well above 4k... either way that is a bad setup... So now you are saying singles are super responsive and still get the anticipated power goals... Aye!
I did stop by the shop and talk to him briefly about the twins vs single. He said we are saving some money going single and said the response will still be there and traction is going to be my issue... Has anybody seen these numbers? http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...-dyno-results/
boost seems to kick in at about 4-5k but from idle to that RPM seem kind of... well I am hopeful... lol. Like I say I am used to like 500+ lbs/ft at like 2-3k RPM so it will be something that I have to get used to...
Old 03-09-2011, 08:03 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

That R34 is pretty bad man... it is like 750 hp! I wonder is he flooring it when he hits about 3k RPM or if he is well above 4k... either way that is a bad setup... So now you are saying singles are super responsive and still get the anticipated power goals... Aye!
I did stop by the shop and talk to him briefly about the twins vs single. He said we are saving some money going single and said the response will still be there and traction is going to be my issue... Has anybody seen these numbers? http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...-dyno-results/
boost seems to kick in at about 4-5k but from idle to that RPM seem kind of... well I am hopeful... lol. Like I say I am used to like 500+ lbs/ft at like 2-3k RPM so it will be something that I have to get used to...
LOL I'm saying that I'm hearing good things about the EFR turbos being very responsive in a single turbo application compared to the Garrett and Precision turbos that are commonly used.

This is what the EFR 8374 (the same turbo that is on the R34) did on a 2.2L Evo at 32PSI...

...so I imagine on a RB26 motor it would probably be fully spooled in the neighborhood of 4000RPM at a more moderate boost setting for approximately 550whp.

I haven't seen Full Race or Borg Warner post any dynos for the R34 yet. I wish they would.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 03-09-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:17 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Just looked at the dyno in post #2 of your link. The EFR dyno I posted above on that 2.2L Evo makes 300 horsepower almost 1500RPM sooner than that first RB26 dyno in your link!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:51 PM
xJC350x

yes, so that tells you that using the EFR turbo in the RB should make boost even sooner than the 2.2 evo if I am understanding correctly. And by the way, what do you consider "moderate" boost for the RB26, man 32 psi is high... I never thought I'd be thinking about psi well over 20 when I began my VQ build, lol, I was looking more at something in the ball park of a streetable 12-14 psi. But now these psi numbers are mind boggling to me! Yet I do understand it is a smaller engine and can handle it.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:04 PM
wasuber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't focus on the oil pump issue, focus on the crank that causes the oil pump issue, you will be fine dude. If you are doing a 500 hp setup, seems pretty safe.

For everyones reference, the early RB motors had the smaller crank collar, the newer ones from say 94-2002 had the wide crank collar, rule of thumb is to buy an R33 or R34 motor, the R32 motors you can retro fit a collar into the crank stub at the oil pump. I would personally just replace the crank with the newer one if I had to buy a used R32 RB26.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:42 PM
xJC350x

Ok, you got it. As long as I get the newer engine all is well, and if need be I can just get a better aftermarket oil pump. It's nice to know a stock block can reliably handler that much power. I don't knock the vq35hr engine at all, great engine, but look what has to be done to get reliable hp that the online six of the rb and JZ get in stock form. Other than emissions I wonder why nissan ditched the online six engines... Bmw has no problem using it with a turbo in there 335 and 535... Do you think nissan made the right move going to the V over the inline?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:16 AM
xJC350x

Also I get a mixed bag when it comes to going with the rb over the vq. Many people, not here in this forum, have been saying it is the worst thing I can do to dump the already built vq and go to an older rb. I guess it is the fact that I got so screwed up at first with the first guy that I took some real drastic measures the second time around. I am very excited about the project going forth, but I always do have that thought on the back of my mind that I have wasted Alot of money I should have never wasted from the beginning and even more money starting over. This is an expensive lesson, but hopefully 5 years from now it will be a "I remember the time moment"...
Old 03-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Z_enthusiast

Also I get a mixed bag when it comes to going with the rb over the vq. Many people, not here in this forum, have been saying it is the worst thing I can do to dump the already built vq and go to an older rb. I guess it is the fact that I got so screwed up at first with the first guy that I took some real drastic measures the second time around. I am very excited about the project going forth, but I always do have that thought on the back of my mind that I have wasted Alot of money I should have never wasted from the beginning and even more money starting over. This is an expensive lesson, but hopefully 5 years from now it will be a "I remember the time moment"...
With that much money invested, It should be more like "Im still driving the hell outta this beast!" when u say "i still remember the time" sounds like you already know you wont have it/ wont last long' lol
Old 03-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

As much as I love the RB26 and think it would be cool to put in your car, I still think it is a huge step backwards. Less displacement less torque less, hard to source parts and it requires custom fab/wiring. I would take your built HR over a stock RB26 any day.

But if you are already committed it will be cool any way. Also I agree with Rude look into Full Race with the Borg Warner turbos and the twin scroll manifolds. I have heard nothing but good things, I haven't looked into any inline stuff for so long I forgot all about them. I am not sure about the availability of the turbos but I have heard it is a long process to get a twin scroll mani.....unless they have improved the turn around time.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 03-10-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:45 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Ok, you got it. As long as I get the newer engine all is well, and if need be I can just get a better aftermarket oil pump. It's nice to know a stock block can reliably handler that much power. I don't knock the vq35hr engine at all, great engine, but look what has to be done to get reliable hp that the online six of the rb and JZ get in stock form. Other than emissions I wonder why nissan ditched the online six engines... Bmw has no problem using it with a turbo in there 335 and 535... Do you think nissan made the right move going to the V over the inline?
Sorry... you lost me at "online six".
Old 03-10-2011, 03:47 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
As much as I love the RB26 and think it would be cool to put in your car, I still think it is a huge step backwards. Less displacement less torque less, hard to source parts and it requires custom fab/wiring. I would take your built HR over a stock RB26 any day.

But if you are already committed it will be cool any way. Also I agree with Rude look into Full Race with the Borg Warner turbos and the twin scroll manifolds. I have heard nothing but good things, I haven't looked into any inline stuff for so long I forgot all about them. I am not sure about the availability of the turbos but I have heard it is a long process to get a twin scroll mani.....unless they have improved the turn around time.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:53 PM
xJC350x

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Sorry... you lost me at "online six".
Lol sorry, I was using my "smart phone" and I didn't notice it was changing the words on me.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 PM
xJC350x

One thing I can't stand is seeing somebody either spend a lot of money on a setup or alot of money on a car like ferrari or something and never push their car to the limit. That won't be me though! I plan to eventually track the car because why have something fast and go slow?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:27 PM
xJC350x

I you tubed those borg warner efr turbos are amazing on that r34!
Old 03-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

I just talked to a guy that preordered a borg warner for his R32 they are at least 3months behind on the delivery dates and no sign of turbos yet so in typical full race fashion if you order it now you may have it in the fall
Old 03-12-2011, 12:55 PM
bbs350z

interesting build... i like the rb, but dont understand why youd drop .9l, especially if your going to track the car. anywho, stock for stock, if your trying to get more miles out of your motor, an oem motor is always more reliable than a forged one in terms of longevity, and weve seen what the stock rb can handle. either way, impressive swap none the less and interested in final product
Old 03-12-2011, 02:39 PM
xJC350x

It's sad to say, but what Is going on over Japan right now I don't know what is going to happen with my build... I won't know anything until Monday or Tuesday, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed BUT it looks slim that the project will maintain Its original completion date... I just might have to do the vq build after all, as I can't afford to have my car down much longer... its been down since Dec. First and this Is my primary car... but mother nature I have no control over...

Quick Reply: RB26DETT 2007 350z swap