Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally done... 12.5 hours later

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ruben - Yes they come with very detailed instructions. makes it very clear cut.

moe - thanks man.

well here ya go guys, i finally got a nice shot. i have to go back tomorrow night and redo them, they are ALL blurry as hell. i was using a friends camera and didnt know they would come out this bad.
Attached Thumbnails Finally done... 12.5 hours later-dscn0866.jpg  
Old 03-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Acree

here's a decent one from behind the car.
Attached Thumbnails Finally done... 12.5 hours later-dscn0838.jpg  
Old 03-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Acree

and one more
Attached Thumbnails Finally done... 12.5 hours later-dscn0842.jpg  
Old 03-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Damnnnnnnnnn, that is awesome!

I think i'm going to wait for Speed Hut's gauges and then just do the other lighting on my own.

Looks great! And just think, you are one of the only one's (or maybe the only one) with red lighting in a 350Z! That just may make all of that work worth it, not to mention the satisfaction of having lights the color you want them.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:46 PM
DIGItonium

The price is very nice, but too bad they don't do it based on my specs. :-(

Hopefully I can get a deal with Blackcat Custom since I can customize it to my liking... it might be expensive.

I'll probably do this during the summer/winter season.

Excellent work... now I have more confidence :-P
Old 03-06-2005, 06:06 PM
TX-Ruben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 350ZTwinTurbo
Ruben - Yes they come with very detailed instructions. makes it very clear cut.
Thanks, I got this officially on my mod list now.

Looks incredible! Great job.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Acree

thanks for the comments guys. here's a lil more eye candy.
Attached Thumbnails Finally done... 12.5 hours later-dscn0895.jpg  
Old 03-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Acree

::MODS::
please delete 2 of the triple posts up there of the same pic. not sure what happened there.

i gotta post this pic up. me and my buddies were messing around with his camera tonight and came out with this...
Attached Thumbnails Finally done... 12.5 hours later-dscn0879.jpg  
Old 03-07-2005, 05:46 AM
Faluzure

Jesus... is there anything you *can't* do? You are one of the LED Gods...

I remember that thread where you were talking to the guy that did the G35. I can't find it at the moment, but I distinctly remember that he sanded the back of his gauge thing (where all the numbers/indicators are) in order to let the blue LEDs retain their blue color. I think he said that they were just covered with a clear amber film. Is the 350Z pod cluster like that? Couldn't you sand that too in order to get it clear so the LED lighting can retain their color.

Regardless, you are the king. That's one of my goals, to make my gauge/pods/stereo/doors blue. But my ***** are miniscule compared to yours, so unless I win the lottery (to cover the costs of me messing up), I'll probably never do it.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally posted by Faluzure
unless I win the lottery (to cover the costs of me messing up), I'll probably never do it.
Nicely put...+1
Old 03-07-2005, 09:48 AM
t32gzz

tim - thanks man. that means alot coming from someone with as awesome of a car as you have. i remember when i came out to the frisco meet in my truck and you being cool enough to humor a lil annoying 17 year old kid. i'd be more than happy to do some work for you. when do u get ur car back?

I remember the Frisco meet well. You have come a long way since then! I should get my car back in the beginning of April if all goes according to plan. More than likely though it will go an extra 2 weeks. My car spends more time in the shop than in the garage, so i am getting used to it. When I get it back we should meet up.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:04 PM
MrGraphics

Not sure, but in one of the pics, it looks like the LED on the stereo was still Orange. a quick way to change that is to go to a theatre lighting store and pick up a free sample book of Roscolux lighting film. Use the samples to overlay on top of the led until you get the color shift you want.

Or, (which is what I did when I turned my Eclipse stereo colors from blue to amber) place the film overtop of the light bars that illuminate the LED.

If you wanted to do the whole guage ghetto style, you could cut little squares of the film, hot glue them on each side of the LED, and get pretty much the same effect. Its the same idea behind the blue tinted bulbs.

The reason you want to use the Roscolux stuff is because it is designed for maximum color shift while allowing the maximum amount of light through. And its completely reversable and cheap. A $6 sheet would be enough to do 3 cars.

http://www.premier-lighting.com/sales/roscolux.htm

That link shows the sample book - spralled out in a circle.

Last edited by MrGraphics; 03-07-2005 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

mrgraphics, so if you have the guts to take apart everything you think just replacing/removing the film with that film you could get the same effect?
Old 03-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Faluzure

Originally posted by nis350ztt
mrgraphics, so if you have the guts to take apart everything you think just replacing/removing the film with that film you could get the same effect?
From what I can tell, the G35 guy did the same thing on his LCDs only (because you can't change the color of the LCD). From the pictures, it ended up almost matching his blue LED conversion. However, I think in some instances you won't be able to apply the film in certain areas because the luminosity of the LED may not penetrate several layers of film. The G35 guy had to use about 3-4 layers of film on his stereo to shift the color to blue and it ended up slightly dimmer than the rest of his LEDs.

Edit:Here's an excerpt: i'm think i'm just going to put the regular bulbs back then plaster on the blue film on the back of the gauges.. then it'll be nice and even. oh yeah and i gotta finish the door switch lights.. then i'll be done... FINALLY....

anyways for the A.c display i just dremeled out the center part of the orange cover then i hot glued 3 layers of blue film on top of it.. and reinstalled everything.. i was afraid it wouldn't turn out good but being the guinnee pig it turned out better than expected... check out the pix.. sorry this time i didn't take pictures of the process..

He just used blue film. Here are pics:

Here's the original thread, but they are mostly just comments.

Last edited by Faluzure; 03-07-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:26 PM
DIGItonium

Eugh... I'm not sure how the color filters are going to work. It looks like a messy job esp. with the hot glue on hand.

Either way, you're going to have to take stuff apart and the LEDs are already going to be exposed.

It takes a few seconds to desolder/solder LEDs. A tweezer helps :-)

Once I have the means (and confidence) to remove the needles, I'll start work on the clusters.

[evil laugh] I'll eventually get the gauges and interior to match up with the Defi-BF gauges (hence, no mods for center cluster) >8^D
Old 03-07-2005, 03:40 PM
MrGraphics

That is why you need to get the sampler book of film (I know the link I showed has you paying $20 for it. A theatre supply store will give it to you free.)

Using the sampler book, you can find the film that correctly modulates the LED's waveform to represent the color you want. It is not about blocking out light, its about color shift with a minimum amount of light reduction.

Incorrect film choice results in having to use multiple layers, and thus reduce light output.

I successfully shifted a blue led to amber with one piece of film and no percieveable reduction in light output.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

MrGraphics, so if one wanted to change the colors of the light all you would *have* to do is change the film to the color you want?

If so i'd definately go this route. You could even swap them out after a year or 6 months or so if you don't like them.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Acree

faluzure - no our gauges can't be sanded. i wish they could have been.

tim - once u get your monster back, let me know.

MrGraphics - yeah the only part of the whole car that was left amber was that. where exactly in the hell would i find a "theater supply store?" i've never even heard of something like that. i would love to get some film like that finish off the project.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Faluzure

Originally posted by 350ZTwinTurbo
faluzure - no our gauges can't be sanded. i wish they could have been.

tim - once u get your monster back, let me know.

MrGraphics - yeah the only part of the whole car that was left amber was that. where exactly in the hell would i find a "theater supply store?" i've never even heard of something like that. i would love to get some film like that finish off the project.
Damn, that sucks. What exactly do they use for the clear part of our gauges then? Is it colored plastic?

As for the Theater supply store, I know what he's talking about. However, you can also go to any high-end home audio/video store and they have similar things. We're not talking something like best buy or Circuit City. We have a store called Ovations where I live. They sell home theater equipment that costs the minimum of $7K for a regular receiver, a grand per speaker, etc. They sell different kind of theater-quality projectors and anything relating to home theaters. Although I would never put down the money for these kinds of things, it's still awesome to look at. These places usually have the film he's talking about.

If you have trouble finding these things, maybe you can talk to a professional photographer (like the studios that do professional quality photographs for events; ie: senior pictures, formals, familiy portraits, etc.) These guys have high quality equipment and use film to change the color temperature for the lighting. They may point you in the right direction to get a sample film palette.

TV studios is another place to look, since they too, use colored film for their lighting on sets.

Last edited by Faluzure; 03-07-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Street Visionz, Inc.
Banned

hmm i think i gotta do this mod.

Quick Reply: Finally done... 12.5 hours later