Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

BUDGET Turbo Project- Started

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:15 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Cux350z
love how people(bealjk)are talking about
Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
random noob
flame me!! ha! like I care...
Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

@ Skildo Thats the same exact kit I purchased except the only difference is the TN wastegate and TN turbo. If you're going to replace those anyways just get the kit that comes with the godspeed stuff for 1k less

@Ak I agree win/win
Old 02-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Scrildo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
@ Skildo Thats the same exact kit I purchased except the only difference is the TN wastegate and TN turbo. If you're going to replace those anyways just get the kit that comes with the godspeed stuff for 1k less

@Ak I agree win/win
Yeah you have a valid point but I would only be replacing the turbo and the wastegate if I found out they were'nt authentic. But I'll just get the kit like yours and replace them anyways lol.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Ak48z
I love all the advice everyone is still trying to give him about reputable brands... when clearly he is set on doing this complete budget build. I don't think anyone but him has money/time on the line. So why not just sit back and watch this thing get 100hp for less than what some of you spent on your exhaust alone. If it blows - cool... if it doesnt - even better. It's a win/win.
The only thing that pisses me off is when people make assumptions about who I am, how much I spent etc.

Silly noobs. I don't like cheese.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 AM
tw2

I hope this works well for you. I have done some cheaper builds before. Mostly cutting costs by having locally fabricated piping, cheap ebay style intercoolers, worm style clamps (like the ebay ones work anyway) etc. I have used cheap wastegates and BOVs before. The wastegate appeared to work fine, the BOV (hks replica) I am not sure ever worked properly.

I would now never skimp on the turbo, WG and BOV but its all chance, hopefully it is in your favour.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:36 AM
boostedmaxima

Some good reading here..http://turboconcepts.net/news-2/cheap-knock-off-turbos/
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedmaxima
Nuff said
10 characters.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:32 AM
iideadeyeii

Not sure how much work will be done this weekend(if any) I getting bombed with snow(Boston Area) and I will definately be on my snomobiles this weekend/shoveling
Old 02-07-2013, 12:30 PM
iideadeyeii

Also, I'm going to be installing the stock exhaust with no cats(I was running an injen exhaust with no cats prior) and a Badlanzhpe e-cutout.

If the stock exhaust sounds horrible, I'll replace it, but I used to have a cutout on one sephia and I enjoyed playing with it
Old 02-07-2013, 12:31 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

Straight / test pipes on a stock exhaust imo sounds fantastic.
Ur turbo will cut the rasp out np.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:37 PM
iideadeyeii

Originally Posted by bmccann101
Straight / test pipes on a stock exhaust imo sounds fantastic.
Ur turbo will cut the rasp out np.
Ok, my buddy that is helping me with the turbo install insists thats I use the stock exhaust because he had one sitting in his garage(and obviosly doens't want it there). If it sounds horrible I'm going to replace with some sort of single 3" to dual mufflers.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:40 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

You can even.polish the can if u care to bumper tuck it..lol, also free..
one of the local kids on my forum.did it and it looks decent..cost? Zero dollars.
Plus his Diy? Admirable for a newb.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:01 AM
kellam

After reading this thread i found zero relatively affordable solutions for a hotside by itself. So with that being said i am going to build one. no wonder FI on this car cost so damn much.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

fi costs alot because the kits use quality turbos, 1000 just for a 6266, 1200 for a 6766, dual ball bearing adds 900 to that. 650+ each for the twin kits. my turbo alone was about 40% of what i paid for the kit roughly figure in the oil pan spacer, intercooler, piping, in my case quality oil pump, and its easy to see that sasha's prices are right on par, the other kits have to add in the fact of over head. heck the vibrant vbands alone are $80 each, you get what you pay for

Last edited by jerryd87; 02-11-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:41 AM
kellam

right. and you have to pay typically for a package deal of 80% of this stuff. the way i see it is if there was a company that would make and sell a hot side by itself, like a minimalist tuner kit, it would sell. I agree you get what you pay for. i just think its possible to pay less and still see a benefit. i wouldnt use poor quality parts. but some guys would. To get a godspeed kit your looking @ 2k. for average to poor quality( according to recorded posts).in the v8 world there are many companies that market hotsides for cars. why not for this car?

Also i know everyone here knows a person that has something that they can get for a bargain. i am that guy. chance are i wouldnt buy a brand new turbo. i would buy a friends and have it redone. the last turbo i bought new anyway ended up needing to get rebalanced anyhow. I just want to see options is all.

Last edited by kellam; 02-11-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM
iideadeyeii

No new updates this weekend.

Irrelevant info as to why. Blew a crankshaft in one of my snowmobiles and my friend slammed another one into drive while the track was still spinning in reverse. So I transferrred the gear case form the one with the blown motor to the one with the broken in half gear to make one good one.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:30 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the issue your going to find with this platform is there is no one make fit all. you have front mount, mid mount, rear mount, twin turbo, t25(in case of twin turbo), t3, t4 turbo mounts, each turbo you select is going to have different dimensions and require different piping to fit properly. anything you offer(even if you could offer it for $300 which theres no way you can, if go with quality like vibrant your going to have about $300 JUST in flex pipe, vbands, and flanges) is going to require extensive modifications resulting in being cheaper to go with a kit.

you can make it(either for the price you plan and cheaping out or not cheaping out and it being quite a bit more) however your not going to have very many options outside what you design the kit around. even several of the established kits require modifications to fit only slightly larger turbos. the whole point of buying a kit where its a package deal is you get it for cheaper then you could buy the parts individually, personally i wouldnt have any interest in my buddys stuff with there tiny evo and wrx stuff.

as for the v8 stuff i came from the world of v8's and everyone ive seen except for people who are buying stuff with the intent to modify right from the beginning uses established kits. havnt seen anyone sell the tubing kits because in all actuality they are typically the same for several platforms and require modification to even fit. the universal consensus is stay away, anyway op sorry for cluttering this more
Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 AM
cnz

Bumppp for updates!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:19 AM
iideadeyeii

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
No new updates this weekend.

Irrelevant info as to why. Blew a crankshaft in one of my snowmobiles and my friend slammed another one into drive while the track was still spinning in reverse. So I transferrred the gear case form the one with the blown motor to the one with the broken in half gear to make one good one.

I got everything I ordered except my e-cutout, plus my car is garage bound until the snow melts a little over here anyways.

One more full day possibly this weekend will get everything bolted up and my maps loaded on the utec(but won't be able to drive just yet due to the snow)but I can probably start it up and rev
Old 02-14-2013, 05:54 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kellam
r.in the v8 world there are many companies that market hotsides for cars. why not for this car?
Because each of these cars changed every 3 years. The DE platform was 3 years so that's a narrow margin of cars when the v8 cars are essentially the same bodies for a decade or more.

On top of that the total number for our cars ever sold is still less than just 1 year of any mullet machine out there on the road. More cars=more people=more market for parts

Companies don't invest money in a tiny market. There especially isn't money when everyone comes to the forum and wants a 1000$ turbo kit. So if there are 100,000 350z and they sell each of them a turbo kit then they take in 100,000$ now probably 50% of that is overhead so they made a whopping $50,000 in a year. Next year 0$ since everyone has the kit. Not a good business model.

Quick Reply: BUDGET Turbo Project- Started