Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

TT , twin waste gates, Greddy profec oled boost controller help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 01:25 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 957 Likes on 722 Posts

Yeah the 479 made no sense...my haltech reading is under 1.00 typically

Originally Posted by tcode
What happens with little partial throttle? Isn't very possible having 0 psi in the intake manifold, while 15 psi of compressed air in front of throttle body? That condition is potentially dangerous, your turbo will spin. A lot, and too much.
your BOV opens in that condition. Its vac line is Post TB and works like a wastegate as well. the 15psi will open the BOV and relieve itself.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:36 AM
tcode

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Even worse. And I'm not concerned about pre TB pressure. It's about turbo overspin, because your target boost signal is taken at wrong place. Turbo will be forced to overspin because it will never get the "boost target".
Old 03-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Originally Posted by tcode
Even worse. And I'm not concerned about pre TB pressure. It's about turbo overspin, because your target boost signal is taken at wrong place. Turbo will be forced to overspin because it will never get the "boost target".

why would it overspin? That 15psi will also open your wastegates (depending on spring setting) and since your boost controller should be fed from post TB, it will have 0 boost to help keep the WG shut...even at 100% dc on the boost solenoid valve.

I don't think your scenario is possible for extended amounts of time....its a transient state.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:55 PM
SAMzG35

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Reading this making me think twice about my current setup. The bottom nipple on my waste gate is connected to the vacuum/boost source on the plenum which is after TB. What difference is it going to make if i connect it before TB?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:54 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Define bottom and top nipple?

I would think it'd make a big difference ...

if you are about to shift at 6000 rpm and youre at 14psi of boost and your TB shuts, your charge pipes (for a brief second until the bov opens) are pressurized while while your plenum is in vacuum - where do you want pressure and where do you want vacuum at that moment when you shift in your waste gates?

I would think you'd want pressure pushing open simultaneously while vacuum pulling open the waste gates to allow exhaust to bypass your turbine? This is how I understand it...

Last edited by bealljk; 03-15-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:04 AM
SAMzG35

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
Define bottom and top nipple?

I would think it'd make a big difference ...

if you are about to shift at 6000 rpm and youre at 14psi of boost and your TB shuts, your charge pipes (for a brief second until the bov opens) are pressurized while while your plenum is in vacuum - where do you want pressure and where do you want vacuum at that moment when you shift in your waste gates?

I would think you'd want pressure pushing open simultaneously while vacuum pulling open the waste gates to allow exhaust to bypass your turbine? This is how I understand it...

Top is top, bottom is bottom LOL
Top is what connects to boost controller, bottom is what connects to manifold pressure as far as I know. I went by the instructions with the turbo kit and boost controller.
I do see your point though, you might be right. I'm gonna try to redo mine and see if it makes any difference. The sound the car makes when I let off throttle does sound a bit like compressor surge, so this might be a fix. Took it to few shops and they said its normal.

Turbo kit

Boost controller
Attached Thumbnails TT , twin waste gates, Greddy profec oled boost controller help!!!-wg.png   TT , twin waste gates, Greddy profec oled boost controller help!!!-wg2.png  
Old 03-16-2017, 12:31 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by SAMzG35
Top is top, bottom is bottom LOL...Took it to few shops and they said its normal.
You're smart for recognizing a potential problem.

My waste gates are upside down... so top is bottom and bottom is top...I got top and side...

keep us updated on wjat you find out
Old 03-16-2017, 01:08 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Originally Posted by SAMzG35
Reading this making me think twice about my current setup. The bottom nipple on my waste gate is connected to the vacuum/boost source on the plenum which is after TB. What difference is it going to make if i connect it before TB?
Exactly as i said before. Post TB will cause the WG to stay shut...where is the air going that the compressor is providing? Through the pipes and out the BOV..hopefully.My single BOV is only good for a certain CFM.

POST tb is for the boost solenoid/map sensor.

Pre TB is for the bottom of the WG so that they open up while the bov is venting the charge pipes.

Bottom/Top port is relative to the actuator head vs the valve body, not in how it is mounted on your car. It is a poppet valve with spring assist closure.