Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

All name brand cat backs and intakes equal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 09:41 AM
Sebastian777

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default All name brand cat backs and intakes equal?

So I'm looking at doing some Stage 1 upgrades and a tune. As far as cat backs, I've been looking at Greddy, Borla, Injen, and Stiller systems. Are there going to be any performance differences between these systems, or is sound pretty much the only difference? What about JWT, Stiller, K&N, etc intakes?
Are there any that I should definitely avoid?
For intakes, I'm thinking I should get something that is basically sealed to the factory inlet, is this a big deal?
Thanks for answering any or all of these.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:00 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Yes, in the end they are all the same.
The following users liked this post:
Sebastian777 (12-15-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 11:49 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

What year is your car?

I wouldn't get an intake. I would just get K&N drop-ins.

For exhaust, it depends on what you are going for. If you want to keep the VQ sound, stay single. If you don't mind losing the VQ sound and want max hp, get a true dual.

For single exhausts, I would go Agency Power or Tomei, Agency Power being the cheap alternative.

For dual exhausts, I would go Motordyne TDX2 or HKS Hi-Power.

With that being said... I love my Nismo S-tune, but you would have to find it used since it was discontinued. Although plenty of exhausts out there will give you more power.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:05 PM
Sebastian777

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
What year is your car?

I wouldn't get an intake. I would just get K&N drop-ins.

For exhaust, it depends on what you are going for. If you want to keep the VQ sound, stay single. If you don't mind losing the VQ sound and want max hp, get a true dual.

For single exhausts, I would go Agency Power or Tomei, Agency Power being the cheap alternative.

For dual exhausts, I would go Motordyne TDX2 or HKS Hi-Power.

With that being said... I love my Nismo S-tune, but you would have to find it used since it was discontinued. Although plenty of exhausts out there will give you more power.
I have an 05 35th Anniversary. (RevUp) For exhaust I've been leaning towards a Borla TD setup. I've been looking up youtube videos trying to find a sound I like, but it's difficult because the videos are recorded at different distances and with different equipment, not to mention different mods, so you don't really get a good comparison. I'm wanting something that isn't obnoxious, but can still be heard at daily driving rpms over the stereo at moderate volume, and has the deep throaty v8(ish) sound.

As far as HFCs, are they all pretty much equal or is there a go to brand that is just better than the others?

Last edited by Sebastian777; 12-16-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:51 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Berk HiFlows ftw!
The following users liked this post:
Sebastian777 (12-16-2016)