Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tire FEATHERING: FYI

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 06:49 AM
waukee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is swapping the tires a fix? It might help the situation for a little bit, but the problem will just come back.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:53 AM
jelledge

Default Dealer Service Bulletin

There is a bulletin for dealers to swap tires left and right sides. It is listed under "Noise When Braking" problem.

However as mentioned earlier this is not a fix. Once tires become cupped and create so much noise as to be heard they have to be replaced.

I called Nissan and got my dealer to back me up that the tires were badly cupped and Nissan authorized new tires. It is obvious Nissan knows full well of this problem they just don't want to give everyone new tires -- too much $$$.

I just hope the new alignment I got fixes the problems. I don't want to go back in another 5k miles with same issue again.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:13 AM
waukee

This is what kills me, Nissan and dealers know about the problem and wont fix it. Now there is a tsb to swap the tires which wont fix Sh*t. I dont know anybody who has had an aligment that has fixed the tires balding or pulling to the right. I got my car in September and I only have 160 miles on it. Buy the time I get alot of miles on it I will be sh*t out of luck for Nissan or my dealer to cover the problems with my car. So I am going to get rid of my car and get a 2004 or 2005 so I dont have to deal with this sh*t.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:40 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my car back from the dealership. Nissan is fully aware of the problem, but simply doesn't have a permanent fix for it. In the meantime, the TSB simply states to rotate the front left and rear tires. The service manager acknowledged the fact that Nissan needs to get this one right, but they didn't want to proceed until they get the official word from Nissan. While I don't have my alignment specs, my car toe in the front was just at the maximum threshold, and they supposedly made some minor adjustments. Guess we're just going to have to wait.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:47 AM
ATL350Z

I'm 1500 miles after my swap and they sent me back to the dealer for an inspection. Guess what, signs of light feathering on the inside at only 1500 miles.

IMO, this is a MAJOR problem for the Z and it doesn't seem like they are doing anything substantial to remedy it. This "Uh, let's swap the fronts" TSB isn't exactly a fix as much as it is a "let's just do something so they will leave us alone" tactic.

They better get something for this soon, because there is no way I'm keeping this car if I develop more road noise than a dump truck every stinking 5000 miles.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:26 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I have 10000 miles so far, and my inside tires are having the same problem. It is making loud noises around 20-40mph. Took it back to the dealer, they said it's too "beat up" to rotate the tires, so they are going to replce them. But I will have to wait for manager's approval, since he won't be back until next week.

Question, do they just replace the front two or all four?

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2003, 06:02 AM
aggie300zx

Great news to hear that its coming back....I'm in my monitor the tire phase after an alignment/toe adjustment and tire swap and expect it to come back as well.....this is just great!

Did you have any alignment/toe adjustments made when they cross-swaped the tires?
Old 03-07-2003, 06:44 AM
BigZ

Default Get This!

I unfortunately got a speeding ticket recently.. however, I took defensive driving and learned a few things about insurance and liabilities.... if you are in an accident where the other is at fault.. but your car was not fully safe to mechanically (such as bad breaks, tires, etc..) you can be held liable for a portion of the damage.

So enter in Nissan into the picture where they refuse to fix the problem and you get in an accident where your traction wasn't 100% because they refuse to replace your tires and take care of the mechanical defect!

I'm bringing mine in A.S.A.P. and making copies of my records.. also I'm thinking that if they refuse to pay.. I'm going to NNA with this to enlighten them a bit about the law and liabilities!
Old 03-07-2003, 06:59 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do all you want, but Nissan doesn't have an official fix for the problem. I don't think the issue is whether you have 100% traction, but the tires are simply wearing unevenly. Having driven at the track several times, I don't think the performance has been compromised one bit. However, your wallet be compromised by having to replace your tires much more frequently.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:54 AM
Deb

Default It's Here and Aligned??

At long last my wife's car is here - Pike's Peak Frost 5AT Touring with a new 3M Clear Bra.
- no orange peel
- Bose sounds OK - not bad but not a $3000 system either

Had the alignment checked all the way around ....
- back wheels way out
- front wheel toe was slightly out

I will track the wear. Only question is ... and I am probably on the wrong forum ... with the 3M clear bra and the Pike's Peak White, what is the best wax/polish to use? (and we are not the type to spend hours using Zaino).

I have really appreciated the information on this board. I printed off much of the discussions on this tech board and presented it to my dealer - he was quite impressed and thought his sales people could learn from it.

My wife let me drive the car - not a real AT man but I'll tell you this, that car is truly amazing ... and fun!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2003, 12:15 PM
cal_z

Default meeee toooooo,.....

well, my car has started making noises as though the brakes are grinding. And I know I haven't been hard on the car because i want the engine to be broken in properly even if i don't have to. but i told them about the brake noise that seemed to be, to me, sand or dirt in the brake pads. When they returned with the car after the inspection, they concluded that the tires were pitted or as the subject is, feathered. On tomorrow, I will drop the car off and they will be checking the alignment first before something is done about the tires. They seem to be very cooperative, but I don't like the idea of buying a new car and having the same problems as I had with my RX-7. Always in the shop.
I understand that this is a new car and some bugs will have to be worked out, but I did not expect to have to be a regular at the dealership for the problems I am having! I still love my car, but my RX was paid for!! To make payments and still have the hassle is not what I bargained for. I'm sure the dealership will make things right. We need to keep posting to let everyone know what is being done about this so that we all can be treated fairly!

I have only 4032 miles and the noise started at about 3600. It seems to slowly progress. It wouldn't bother me to get some type of kit to correct this so I won't have to worry about this problem re-occuring. But I shouldn't have to pay for it! Do you agree! They have my money, so I should have satisfaction! right?

love my car,
calvin

ss, touring, 6mt, orange leather, body armor, 7" wide screen, dvd player

Last edited by cal_z; 03-10-2003 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:48 PM
Boomer

Default Re: meeee toooooo,.....

Originally posted by cal_z
well, my car has started making noises as though the brakes are grinding. And I know I haven't been hard on the car because i want the engine to be broken in properly even if i don't have to. but i told them about the brake noise that seemed to be, to me, sand or dirt in the brake pads. When they returned with the car after the inspection, they concluded that the tires were pitted or as the subject is, feathered. On tomorrow, I will drop the car off and they will be checking the alignment first before something is done about the tires. They seem to be very cooperative, but I don't like the idea of buying a new car and having the same problems as I had with my RX-7. Always in the shop.
I understand that this is a new car and some bugs will have to be worked out, but I did not expect to have to be a regular at the dealership for the problems I am having! I still love my car, but my RX was paid for!! To make payments and still have the hassle is not what I bargained for. I'm sure the dealership will make things right. We need to keep posting to let everyone know what is being done about this so that we all can be treated fairly!

I have only 4032 miles and the noise started at about 3600. It seems to slowly progress. It wouldn't bother me to get some type of kit to correct this so I won't have to worry about this problem re-occuring. But I shouldn't have to pay for it! Do you agree! They have my money, so I should have satisfaction! right?

love my car,
calvin

ss, touring, 6mt, orange leather, body armor, 7" wide screen, dvd player
Right, Calvin, you should have satisfaction. Check the last post by jmark, he's trying to get info for us through informal channels. Several of us with your problem and others hit NNA pretty hard this last week about the problems. We are waiting to see if WE were successful. We need to wait for his post, please DO NOT ask him directly, he's not trying to be an authority, just help out since he has one or more of the big problems, currently unresolved, we have with the Z.

Boomer--"Be cool. YOU be cool." George Clooney, "From Dusk Till Dawn" to Quentin Tarantino. Music by Los Lobos, Tito and the Tarantulas, ZZ Top, etal.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:43 AM
ChicagoEZ

i remember forcasting this problem along time ago, and being told by some that it was a result of driving to har, and what do you expect its a sports car, tooo all of you HAHAH TOLD YA SO

anyway, they replaced the fronts, and gave me a allignment, well guess what its 14,000 miles and the damn tires are doing it again

so thats probably what you can all expect.

i am going to the dealer to ***** and moan tommarow let you guys know
Old 03-11-2003, 08:24 AM
waukee

Is there anybody who doesn't have problems with the tires feathering or pulling to the right? If so how many miles do you have, when was the car made, and what model do you have?
Old 03-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by ChicagoEZ
i remember forcasting this problem along time ago, and being told by some that it was a result of driving to har, and what do you expect its a sports car, tooo all of you HAHAH TOLD YA SO

anyway, they replaced the fronts, and gave me a allignment, well guess what its 14,000 miles and the damn tires are doing it again

so thats probably what you can all expect.

i am going to the dealer to ***** and moan tommarow let you guys know
If you haven't opened a complaint file w/NNA, you need to do it now. Your dealer can then back it up with their information.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:52 AM
ovi17

I have 3500 miles on my enthusiast and the car doesn't pull to the right nor did I notice any feathering. These posts are making
me nervous though.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:54 PM
aggie300zx

So far I have about 500 miles on my car SINCE my front tires were cross-swaped and alignment/toe-in adjusted (@8800 miles)....no sign of new feathering, however the results of the previous issues has ruined my tires, so the annoying road noise is still loud!

After discussion with Nissan, their suggestion now was to go back to the dealership explain the excessive tire noise and ask what they could do about replacing the tires. My understanding is that Nissan makes this call, but they need the dealership to support the claim of the poor condition of the tires.

Stay tuned....
Old 03-12-2003, 01:30 PM
3rdpower

I'll just go ahead and join the group.

Having my tranny swapped I was faced with the ROARING noise of the tires. The dealer wouldn't do a swap out but did a rotate, alignment, etc. I want to see the specs but i'll just let everyone know...

After the dealer work - it's still roaring and getting loader (500 miles later)
Old 03-12-2003, 01:54 PM
fuzzwart

I think that I asked this before but saw no reply. Have we seen any correlation between manufacture date and having this problem. Mine was manufactured in 10/02, has 2700 miles with NO uneven tire wear.

Old 03-12-2003, 02:00 PM
jelledge

Default Manufacture Date vs. Tire Problems

Yes I would like to know this also. I don't have time right now, but can someone start a new poll?

We would want to know how many people have had tire wear problems and what range of Vin's they have to try and nail it down.

Ja

Quick Reply: Tire FEATHERING: FYI