Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Problem shifting info reverse - '03 350Z AT - Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 01:40 PM
beerbuzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problem shifting into reverse - '03 350Z AT - Any advice?

Hi guys

I have an 03 Z with only 53k KMs on the clock.

Basically stock.

(Back story - not sure if applicable)
I sprung a leak in the radiator recently, and took it in for replacement (not at Nissan).
New 3rd party radiator (Fenix) works great, and running temp is actually lower than before!

When I took the car home from the shop, after it warmed up, I couldn't get it back into reverse! (This is an automatic).
After a while I figured out you have to rev it up pretty good and then it'll jolt into reverse...
I've also noticed the power transitions while on the motorway doesn't feel as powerful as before.

Usually, you can just shift into reverse, take your foot off the accelerator, and it will already be moving backwards. Now - you have to rev it...

I took it back to the shop today, and AT fluid was a bit low... topped it up, but still no luck.

I've looked after my Z like a baby and have had the AT flushed at regular intervals, and refilled with correct transmission fluid, etc...
I've never put it on the track, and I'm not particularly hard on it - I don't think the clutch could be worn out in 53Ks...

The shop has suggested a series of steps to look into this - first replace the AT fluid, then if that doesn't work, remove the oil pan from the transmission - and apparently there is a filter in there or something...

In the meantime I've been warned to only drive it gingerly...

If anyone can give me ANY advice to point me in right direction of what the problem could be - it would really be appreciated!

Thank you.

Last edited by beerbuzz; 11-30-2016 at 12:15 PM.