Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Dragging sound from front end??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 04:41 PM
Deland352

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragging sound from front end??

Just recently leaving a red light, i felt this vibration and i could hear what seemed like a dragging or possible scrapping sound. I looked under the car for anything that maybe got stuck under the car and potentially dragging but nothing was visible. I went home, as the sound never went away, jacked it up and checked all the fender wells thinking maybe the fender lining popped loose... Nope. I keep reading many different possibilities...wheel bearings, TOB, sticking calipers or exhaust heat shields rubbing?

Although, when the noise occurs its not at start up, it takes a good while for it to begin, but when it does it doesn't go away unless you push in the clutch.
which seems maybe the TOB?

Only way to describe it is, from first gear, the slightest amount of gas, a scraping sound occurs which... its noticeable up to 3rd gear, after 3rd the exhaust over takes the sound but i think im safe to assume its still present...

I have been searching, but nothing has been really close to what im experiencing.

Thanks in advance!

2006 Touring - 80,000 miles

Last edited by Deland352; 02-19-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:44 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Does the noise vary with the speed of the car, or the speed of the engine. Did you spin the wheels by hand when you had the car on jacks? Could it be a brake pad wear indicator?
Old 02-20-2017, 11:10 AM
deeliciousqueen

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine does almost the same thing, more of a clunking/vibrating sound under the tranny. It happens a lot lately in cold mornings, when it is on gear sound is noticeable between 1st, 2nd & 3rd but goes away when car is warmed up or after driving 6 miles or so.

I do have the JWT kit installed over 6k miles ago & can distinguish that the sound is not chatter due to lightweight FW. I was told by a reputable performance shop TOB is normal to make noises but it should disappear when clutch is engaged.

If clutch is engaged & still hear noises & feel it in the pedal, drop the tranny & have it looked at.. That's what I was told.. GL

Last edited by deeliciousqueen; 02-20-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:11 PM
Deland352

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It stays pretty constant when gas is applied. The sound doesn't seem to change when going faster or slower. But when clutch is engaged it's gone.