Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

QuintonC's 350Z Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 12:07 PM
G4nismo

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by QuintonC
Thank you! Motor is not built, it's on stock internals for now. According to Dynosty, the tune is very solid and the numbers are safe for a stock motor. My tune was meant to be able to be bashed on day in and day out and still have a nice running car at the end of the day.

But, nevertheless, I will be saving for a built motor at some point just to ensure everything is 150% safe down the road.

Yeah, the TS diffuser install was a PITA. I need to re-adjust mine just a little bit, the driver's side sits back a little bit further than it should, like 1cm and it bothers the crap out of me lol.
Solid numbers for stock internals. Any reasons you went turbo instead of SC? I been eyeing the vortech kit for a while.

Funny you mention about needing to re-adjust the diffuser cause I ran into the same issue. I just let let it be because I was so tired. Is your center portion of the diffuser completely flush against the bumper because mine isn't. The passenger side sticks out a bit further than the driver side and I'm thinking it may be due to the U-beam. I may try and mess with it sometime but it's pretty difficult to get leverage on the nuts behind the U-beam without taking the entire bumper off.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:17 PM
QuintonC

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Honestly, the only reason I picked this kit up was because I got it for an absolutely freaking steal. Plus, there are so many benefits over the turbocharged setup compared to the supercharged.

If there was a supercharger kit I was going to get, it would probably be the HKS kit.

Mine is the u-mount on the driver's side, so exactly opposite of yours haha. I just need to move that a bit closer in toward the car, and maybe the bolts on the far side as well.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:20 PM
G4nismo

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

werd
Old 08-17-2015, 09:14 PM
QuintonC

Got forwarded these pictures from Shawn tonight. Looks like the front splitter is coming along really well!

What do you guys think so far?
Note: This is for a '06 front bumper

QuintonC's 350Z Build-zpqmaza.jpg

QuintonC's 350Z Build-fpjdiie.jpg

QuintonC's 350Z Build-wt3wnrb.jpg

QuintonC's 350Z Build-bhxzdfe.jpg
Old 08-19-2015, 04:44 PM
QuintonC

More updates!

The center portion is a bit off center, but it's also not mounted to the bumper yet. They're still sanding, doing more bondo, etc. This is just the piece that Synergy will use to make a mould out of, in which they will use to make either CF or FRP pieces.

QuintonC's 350Z Build-zfkfyud.jpg

QuintonC's 350Z Build-jxjsbox.jpg

QuintonC's 350Z Build-qasgavt.jpg

QuintonC's 350Z Build-hy0s1nk.jpg

QuintonC's 350Z Build-goasqt2.jpg

QuintonC's 350Z Build-etjv6bj.jpg
Old 08-26-2015, 03:58 AM
QuintonC

Been driving the car for a while. Having weird fuel level issues. The car will get just below half of a tank and that's all the further gauge will read, and then I will run out of gas at some point later. I never know what the actual fuel level is.

A couple weeks ago I was sitting at 3/8 tank, and had been for a hot minute (I thought I had been getting excellent MPG, I still am, but not as crazy as I thought), and I left for work only to hear my pump making weird noises. I turned the car off and tried to restart the car and it was dry, no fuel.

The car has since been filled up all the way. This marks the second time I've ran out of gas since I boosted the car and it's mega frustrating.

I'll be replacing the fuel level float assembly here soon since it's the only part you can really buy separate from Nissan.

Aside from those issues, the gauges from Tanabe still don't work. I'll be taking them out soon and returning them to John at Premiere to get a new set of gauges from Tanabe and hopefully they work a bit better. The tanabes I currently have turned on for about 2 seconds then never came back on. Weird.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:13 AM
QuintonC

Sat like this for a week while I was in Florida. Shawn at Synergy was working on developing my sideskirts and front lip. Here are some shots from Dustin Kessler Photography while it was in the shop.

QuintonC's 350Z Build-zfsn1dn.jpg

QuintonC's 350Z Build-hbwgcuy.jpg

QuintonC's 350Z Build-psiq334.jpg
Old 09-02-2015, 05:41 PM
QuintonC

Found this picture from about a month ago at Cars and Coffee in Indianapolis.

QuintonC's 350Z Build-kmowxna.jpg

Also, cut out my grill from the 06 bumper just a bit ago. Looks so much better. I will have to have the bottom lip area sanded down and re-painted though.

QuintonC's 350Z Build-gv3sjnf.jpg
Old 09-08-2015, 07:13 AM
QuintonC

So this was a particularly rad weekend. I was up north in Indianapolis dropping off my Tanabe gauges to be sent back to Tanabe so that I could get my replacements. About 1/4 mile from my destination my car died.

I was coming up to a stop sign, check engine light came on, car started to miss. Sounded like a damn WRX or something. Made it through the first stop sign, rolled up to the second stop sign and my car just flat out died. Tried to turn it back over, the fuel pump isn't priming, temperature isn't reading, and the fans come on high. Signs of ECU failure or a lost connection.

So I had to tow the car back to Bloomington (total pain with a handheld winch and a heavy Z). Finally ended up getting back to the apartment, now I just need to unplug the ECU and check to see if I can get voltage from the ECU connector. If so, then that just means my ECU is dead, which sucks. Only have 1800 miles on the car since my tune. I would have to buy another ECU as well as another UpRev license unless UpRev will transfer my license for me to a new ECU.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:45 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

When I had the WRX single exhaust sound going it was my coil-packs.

Have you had any issues with the edu before? It could be the tomei... Do you want my address?

Good luck man,

Chris
Old 09-10-2015, 07:28 AM
QuintonC

Hahaha!

I've not had any issues with the ECU, at least I don't think. I have had a couple of weird hiccups which now that I think about it, could've been premature signs of ECU failure.

The car's fans come on high and the fuel pump doesn't prime, so I know it's ECU.

True, I bet it's that stupid exhaust. Sure, send it over!

Thanks buddy!
Old 09-10-2015, 10:07 AM
jdmlove1

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

QuintonC's 350Z Build-kmowxna.jpg

i like the simplicity!
Old 09-11-2015, 10:19 AM
QuintonC

Thanks! I need to space the rear out about 5mm more so it's flushes out like the front does. Aside from that, finish up the lip kit and we're good!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:36 PM
QuintonC

Motivation has been at an all time low here recently, but I finally got around to working on the Z a bit today.

Hard to believe it's almost been a month since it ran...

Regardless, I finally got my replacement Tanabe gauges this past weekend. Hoping for the best when I wire these ones up that they aren't fried for some weird reason.

Also got the new low side AC line in today, just need to bend it a bit more to get it out of the way of the turbo-downpipe. Also, while the bit behind the turbo is out, I bought some heat wrap and I'll be heat wrapping the turbo as well.

Upon getting underneath the car to look for leaks, I noticed that my oil feed was absolutely soaked in oil. Not quite sure how this happened (the car is fine on oil), but I definitely plan on taking the oil feed off, re-taping the lines, and then reinstalling the lines onto the car as well as adding an oil sandwich plate for the oil cooler whenever the time comes (I just need to moderate my oil temps for now at the very least).

Getting closer and closer, list of things to do

Trying to get this sorted before halfway through the month. Ready to actually drive this thing during boost season. I'll do my best to keep this thread up to date as I finish things up.
                  Old 10-03-2015, 07:49 AM
                  IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Very nice man, glad to see a bit of FI action going on with n actual turbo..... everything is too much about stance, which is just show and nothin on performance being used , nice man!

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 10-16-2015 at 01:04 AM.
                  Old 10-06-2015, 01:48 PM
                  QuintonC

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
                  Very nice man, glad to see a bit of FI action going on with n actual turbo..... everything is too much about stance, which I just show and nothin on performance , nice man!
                  Absolutely man! I used to be all about stance, I don't know why really. I mean, I guess it looked cool, but it sucked so much to drive.

I enjoy this setup so much more even though I haven't driven it nearly as much.

Thanks for the kind words
                  Old 10-20-2015, 03:58 PM
                  QuintonC

Found out today from UpRev that the ECU is confirmed as dead. They tried to reboot the ECU and do everything that they could, it just would not take power.

So now it's onto buying another ECU and another UpRev license so that I can have Hal flash the tune onto the new ECU.

I really wish I didn't have to keep shelling money into this freaking thing, but I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. It would be kind of nice to find out exactly what caused this issue so it doesn't happen again.

Anyhow, I did get the gauges to work finally. Hooked up the boost and Wideband and got those working. Also had to order a new vband bolt for the Vibrant Performance vband from the turbo to downpipe. For some reason, I'm have a terrible time getting the turbo and downpipe to mate properly, so I'm going to have to disconnect the downpipe from the bottom and have someone push it further forward from underneath so that it mates properly.

After that, all there is that's left to do is get the ECU in and then it's go time.
                  Old 11-09-2015, 09:22 AM
                  QuintonC

Purchased a new ECU today and had it shipped directly to Dynosty. Should be there by the end of this week. After it arrives there, I just have to buy another UpRev license and have Hal flash over my tune information and get it shipped here. Hell, I might consider the drive down just to pick it up and have the car ready for the weekend. I miss driving the Z so much, I can't even begin to remember what it was like just to drive it.

Soon!

Edit: Forgot that I also ordered a Speedhunters Takata Tow Strap

Last edited by QuintonC; 11-09-2015 at 09:53 AM.
                  Old 11-10-2015, 07:32 PM
                  IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Nice man, tired of the pathfinder?
                  Old 11-11-2015, 06:30 AM
                  QuintonC

Yeah, the pathfinder just isn't doing it for me right now haha. Love the thing, it's a great daily, but the gas mileage is horrible compared to the Z.

If the Z was running, but stored in the garage, I wouldn't mind the pathfinder so much. But it's just the fact of knowing that I don't have the option to break the Z out when the weather is nice.

Quick Reply: QuintonC's 350Z Build