Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

NorCal Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:27 AM
OWTKAST cpt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in downtown San Fran for about a month. My Z is not here but is anyone on here going to any events that are close by and within a few weeks?
Old 01-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Shamu

Wet, cold and soggy most of the day. Nice to meet you Chris and fun seeing another Z trying to go after those EVOs.

I was really impressed with the Nismo, for a car with factory suspension and alignment it turned very well! Brakes were also awesome thanks to Rob at Z Car Garage putting upgraded Stop Tech pads and lines on the car.

Think I got a 47.3 Not sure what BSP EVOs did? But I'm thinking maybe just maybe a BSP 370z might be able to give those cars a run for their money. One thing I noticed is that a couple EVOs in the wet pushed a little. I had tough time putting power down on wet to damp surface. Also learned to turn off stability control! Man my first run it was cutting off everywhere! My car turned great as long as I didn't overshoot the turns. Nismo just tucks in a goes where I point it. Better turn in than my race car and that's without touching a thing from the showroom other than bolting on huge 20 inch wheels and tires.

Now for better adjustable dampers (JRZ?), OS Giken LSD, mono ***** to replace bushings, 18x11 AX wheels, high flow cats, etc,

Last edited by Shamu; 01-31-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:43 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamu
Lol! I have only had it for 4 weeks since I drove it home from the showroom. Two of those weeks I was in China. Already have upgraded brakes, oil cooler and intakes. Haven't decided on what I will do with suspension however Nismo suspension is fairly impressive for stock issue stuff. I'm probably not going to build a national level car but it will be fast.

I borrowed a set of GT R wheels with huge R888's for this weekend until I get my 18x11 wheels and 295 Hoosiers.
Wet, cold and soggy most of the day. Nice to meet you Chris and fun seeing another Z trying to go after those EVOs.

I was really impressed with the Nismo, for a car with factory suspension and alignment it turned very well! Brakes were also awesome thanks to Rob at G Car garage putting upgraded pads and lines on the car.

Think I got a 1:47.3. Not sure what BSP EVOs did? But I'm thinking maybe just maybe a BSP 370z might be able to give those cars a run for their money. One thing I noticed is that a couple EVOs in the wet pushed a little. I had tough time putting power down on wet to damp surface. Also learned to turn off Stability control! Man my first run it was cutting off everywhere! My car turned great as long as I didn't overshoot the turns. Nismo just tucks in a goes where I point it. Better turn in than my race car and that's without touching a thing from the showroom other than bolting on huge 20 inch wheels and tires.

Now for better adjustable dampers (JRZ?), OS Giken LSD, mono ***** to replace bushings, 18x11 AX wheels, high flow cats, etc,
18x11x4? What offset? After looking at Hoosier specs, why a 295 Hoosier versus a 285? I think those can go on smaller wheels, but am willing to listen and learn for sure.

See you guys out there in 4 weeks! And enjoy the mod bug!
Old 01-30-2011, 07:55 PM
DivZero

It wasn't a great day for me. Really slow on the first two runs (I'm pretty sure the announcer bagged on me ) and then so-so the next two. I think I got 57 +1 and 58. Today really showed me how much I have to learn still. Also, I'll be riding with a closer towards a full tank next time it rains. I had 1/4 tank and the rear end was a little to happy.

I was planning to go say hi to you and the driver of the blue 350 but the timing didn't work out with the run groups and work groups :/ Next time! Anyway, I snapped a couple pictures. If you don't want them posted let me know.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:13 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Looks like it was actually pretty dry?

Last edited by 03threefiftyz; 01-30-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:23 PM
DivZero

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Looks like it was actually pretty dry?
It was on and off thunderstorms. It went from pretty dry to drenched a few times.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Shamu

Thanks for the pics! Those are my first ax pics of this car. Yeah it was on and off all day. Second half of the course was wetter than front half. Tires where wet every time returning to the grid.

Prepared and mod drivers had it the best. Front half completely dry and second half just damp. Started raining again for group 5.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:35 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Shamu,

I see you mentioning upgrades.....what kind of budget are you looking to use for dampers? Unfortunately you are going to have to pay to play in BSP.......oh well.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Shamu

Originally Posted by scotts300
18x11x4? What offset? After looking at Hoosier specs, why a 295 Hoosier versus a 285? I think those can go on smaller wheels, but am willing to listen and learn for sure.

See you guys out there in 4 weeks! And enjoy the mod bug!
Bigger is better in ax. I may run 315 in the rear as the car turned great with 285 in front with 315 in rear. Working on offsets

Last edited by Shamu; 01-31-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:54 PM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Fast course, it seems. Anyone happen to have the layout?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:01 PM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was great meeting you Shamu, I plan on battling it out with you all year

Here's a video of my last run, 48.9 I believe, much better than I started out (53 + lots of cones), but bald street tires and a wet surface don't make for much other than drifting action (first run was all over the place, video tomorrow)

(watch it in 1080p)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59p2nYz4qj0

CaliCoast, I'm actually not a fan of their announcers (peggy?) was bagging on people left and right, which just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. It's one thing if you know the people and they are your friends, but to rag on everyone, not cool.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Shamu

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Shamu,

I see you mentioning upgrades.....what kind of budget are you looking to use for dampers? Unfortunately you are going to have to pay to play in BSP.......oh well.
I can get deals on JRZ dampers. Under $5kto$6k for dampers. Remember I come from world of Porsche and prepared class. BSP on a Nissan is low budget for me after custom fab work, roll cages, custom made wheels, Porsche motor sports parts, Guard LSDs, Aluminum and carbonfiber flywheels and discs, custom gears, putting GT3 suspension on my Boxster.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Shamu

Originally Posted by christoc
It was great meeting you Shamu, I plan on battling it out with you all year

Here's a video of my last run, 48.9 I believe, much better than I started out (53 + lots of cones), but bald street tires and a wet surface don't make for much other than drifting action (first run was all over the place, video tomorrow)

(watch it in 1080p)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59p2nYz4qj0

CaliCoast, I'm actually not a fan of their announcers (peggy?) was bagging on people left and right, which just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. It's one thing if you know the people and they are your friends, but to rag on everyone, not cool.
Yeah you have to learn how to roll with Peggy and Dennis. They run a good show. But they have definite opinions! I have come to appreciate it overtime. But she can throw zingers. I'll never forget my first UFO event and I didn't know grid setup and she announced to everyone that Porsche guy was headed wrong way,

Last edited by Shamu; 01-31-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:20 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

I can get deals on JRZ dampers. Under $5kto$6k for dampers. Remember I come from world of Porsche and prepared class. BSP on a Nissan is low budget for me after custom fab work, roll cages, custom made wheels, Porsche motor sports parts, Guard LSDs, Aluminum and carbonfiber flywheels and discs, custom gears, putting GT3 suspension on my Boxster.
More power to you then.....look forward to the results. Are you going to keep fielding the FP boxster or move towards focusing on the Nismo?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:23 PM
datsunHEAD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dang I must have just missed you guys, I couldnt get out there early bcuz I was taking care of my newborn,I got there around 2, but my friend (black mazdaspeed) said that the 370 was smashing,hopefully I will get out there earlier . what time did most of you guys leave?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:56 PM
christoc

I think Shamu and I both left just around 2pm, maybe a tad earlier. I had to get home and see my 3 month old, only stuck around till I was done with my work assignment.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:07 AM
DivZero

I left at 1:45
Old 01-31-2011, 08:09 AM
christoc

Run #1 for me yesterday, a little more drifting action involved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjCFiWwO6GA
Old 01-31-2011, 07:31 PM
ntrinsik

I'm hoping my Miata will be ready for the next event.. Prepping it to run STR.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Shamu

Results. Nice to see a Z in front of an EVO!

http://norcalufo.org/main/attachments/141_ufo2_11.pdf

Quick Reply: NorCal Autocross