Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

Mofab llc 03' 350z build

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Mofab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Very interesting. What were the raw numbers without altitude correction? I ask because we've seen some pretty crazy altitude corrections out of Colorado in the past on this forum that seemed pretty far fetched.

If your altitude adjustments are within reason... Albeit with different fuels (E85 instead of C16) and smaller capacity fuel system, your results power wise are similar to what PowerLab & Intense achieved with their GT35R kit and stock exhaust manifolds. A rival manufacturer, Boosted Performance, couldn't achieve similar results with his kit on stock manifolds and subsequently resorted to a smear campaign in which he insinuated that PowerLap lied about their results with stock manifolds. Boosted Performance insists that a T4 turbine and aftermarket headers are necessary to make anything close to 600whp.
Interesting hmm. well i will get the un corrected graphs and post them up. The stock manifolds are small and could cause some restriction yes, but i dont see them keeping you from hitting that power level but maybe. Ill get the graph.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:07 AM
mw350

Hi Guys, This is Mike I own the 350z that Scott put the new garrett turbo on and I couldn't be happier. Looks like a factory install and is georgus. I need to put a bigger fuel pump and larger injectors and retune to get around 700-750 whp. probably won;t do the injectors will do the pump to make sure to get the fuel needed. they dialed the HP down from 592 to around 580 bebusscause of lack of fuel. Scot did an incrediable job and will get all the buss. i can give him. We need guys like him in the buss. If anyone wants to chat smithgrumpy@yahoo.com Again thanks scott. By the way I tried to get macauto to do this they said couldn't be done wanted to do twin turbos. Scott saved me around 6,ooo$ this way.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:52 PM
mw350

Thumbs up

WOW... Almost 600whp on E85 with one 255lph Walbro and 750cc injectors!?!? I didn't think it was possible to get that much power with E85 on a single Walbro OR with 750cc injectors.

Does this setup have the stock exhaust manifolds or aftermarket headers?
Hi this Mike I own the car Scott removed the turbonicts and custom piped the the piping and installed the garrett. the car has stock exhaust manifolds but a 3in. exaust. should really contact Scott on this car and setup it is frickin awsome!!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:33 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

someone told you were your gonna get 7-750 on a gt35?

wow
Old 11-03-2011, 07:55 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
someone told you were your gonna get 7-750 on a gt35?

wow
That raised my eyebrow too. I haven't looked it up yet... Does the GTX35R have a higher horsepower rating on Garrett's site than their standard 35R? Kinda like how the billet CEA Precision turbos do compared to their non billet models of the same size? Perhaps the GTX35R is more comparable to a standard 37R. If so, 700+whp is plausible.

Would still like to see the uncorrected graphs for this car...

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 11-03-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:14 PM
ace32x

That raised my eyebrow too. I haven't looked it up yet... Does the GTX35R have a higher horsepower rating on Garrett's site than their standard 35R? Kinda like how the billet CEA Precision turbos do compared to their non billet models of the same size? Perhaps the GTX35R is more comparable to a standard 37R. If so, 700+whp is plausible.

Would still like to see the uncorrected graphs for this car...
The gtx models make about 10% more HP than the standard if I'm not mistaken and they spool faster due to the design of the turbine
Old 11-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Mofab

Originally Posted by ace32x
The gtx models make about 10% more HP than the standard if I'm not mistaken and they spool faster due to the design of the turbine
More than 10% Garrett rates the regular 35R at 400-600 hp, the gtx at 400 to 750,at higher pressure ratios, And its the compressor wheel not the turbine side. billet not cast and blade design is what the gtx stuff is all about. Im no engineer by any means but i think the gtx could get close to the 700 whp mark but because of the displacement of the VQ its already to the far right of the compressor map. So 675 to 700 wheel is obtainable in my opinion. Go to turbobygarrett.com and read up on the new gtx stuff its really awesome tech too.
Ill post up uncorrected numbers hopefully tomorrow i forgot my memory card at home. thanks guys
Old 11-04-2011, 07:25 PM
ace32x

Originally Posted by Mofab
More than 10% Garrett rates the regular 35R at 400-600 hp, the gtx at 400 to 750,at higher pressure ratios, And its the compressor wheel not the turbine side. billet not cast and blade design is what the gtx stuff is all about. Im no engineer by any means but i think the gtx could get close to the 700 whp mark but because of the displacement of the VQ its already to the far right of the compressor map. So 675 to 700 wheel is obtainable in my opinion. Go to turbobygarrett.com and read up on the new gtx stuff its really awesome tech too.
Ill post up uncorrected numbers hopefully tomorrow i forgot my memory card at home. thanks guys
I have been I was going to do twin gtx 3071's with my build but they won't fit in the t25 housing with out modifying the housing. And didn't want to buy new housing's so I didn't bother. They're sick turbo's definitely. You should look at the hks version of these they squeeze some more out than garrets they're like 2500 a POP though XD
Old 11-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Mofab

Yeah the GTXs are something els!!! I have been building Rotated turbo kits for subarus for a couple years now and on my own car

3076 powered 430whp on 15psi e85

On this car i used a gtx 3076 and on 18psi made 520 corrected
the spool was the same but power jumped way up

hopefully i can switch my setup to a new gtx chra. Has anyone built and turbokits on here with the new borg warner EFR stuff?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:09 AM
ace32x

Originally Posted by Mofab
Yeah the GTXs are something els!!! I have been building Rotated turbo kits for subarus for a couple years now and on my own car

3076 powered 430whp on 15psi e85

On this car i used a gtx 3076 and on 18psi made 520 corrected
the spool was the same but power jumped way up

hopefully i can switch my setup to a new gtx chra. Has anyone built and turbokits on here with the new borg warner EFR stuff?
Idk offhand but I know a guy who owns a shop in France that's getting a pair of them to try out. Not sure what sizes though but his z's pretty crazy hes making upwards of 1k whp
Old 11-05-2011, 11:28 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

phunk/Charles @ CJM was working with Borg Warner to prototype an EFR setup on his Z. Haven't heard any updates though...
Old 11-06-2011, 06:15 AM
str8dum1

he got rid of his 350z and drive a greddy 370Z now, so i doubt he's going to mess with EFRs anymore.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:00 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

^^^ its currently up in the air. the EFR manifold project was actually happening on my 370z anyway. Some things came up and I needed the car off the lift so I worked with Greddy really quick and got some turbos on there so I could enjoy the car this year.

This winter and spring a lot of stuff is changing on my 370z. I have been in touch with full-race about taking it from where we left off and finishing up the EFR manifold project. We would make sure the manifold and turbo combo fit all the DE/HR/VHR if we do this. Chances are pretty decent... I will know more once my 370z is down for winter hibernation in a couple weeks.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If your altitude adjustments are within reason... Albeit with different fuels (E85 instead of C16) and smaller capacity fuel system, your results power wise are similar to what PowerLab & Intense achieved with their GT35R kit and stock exhaust manifolds. A rival manufacturer, Boosted Performance, couldn't achieve similar results with his kit on stock manifolds and subsequently resorted to a smear campaign in which he insinuated that PowerLab lied about their results with stock manifolds. Boosted Performance insists that a T4 turbine housing and aftermarket headers are necessary to make anything close to 600whp.
E85 and pump are two very different fuels. I don't know why you bring this up when you know that I have dyno graphs before and after header swaps. Same dyno/tuner/kit, so in case you forgot:

Before: http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...ington6265.jpg

After (18psi): http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...12whp_dyno.jpg

As far as T4 housings go, here is a post from a PL (T3) owner on the same dyno and a whole lot more work done to the engine than a simple short block build:

I have just recieved disappointing new on my new engine build and the powerlab gt35r kit which was installed on my 2006 G35. The powerlab kit will not produce effective power past 465 hp on a dyno dynamic dyno. The kit is maxed out at 13-14 psi of boost. The engine is a stage one built block from Injected performance with Jim wolf s7 cams/valve springs, CJM stage 1 return fuel system with 800cc injectors, 3 inch exhaust into 2 2.5 inch hks mufflers, and an Haltech platinum running the show. The crew from Injected has been excellent to work with and have tried everything in their power to remedy the situation but have not been able to pull more power out of this kit without changing the turbo and building custom piping. I will post the dynos and more info as I recieve it.
This is my first and last post in this thread.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 11-09-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:11 PM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phunk
^^^ its currently up in the air. the EFR manifold project was actually happening on my 370z anyway. Some things came up and I needed the car off the lift so I worked with Greddy really quick and got some turbos on there so I could enjoy the car this year.

This winter and spring a lot of stuff is changing on my 370z. I have been in touch with full-race about taking it from where we left off and finishing up the EFR manifold project. We would make sure the manifold and turbo combo fit all the DE/HR/VHR if we do this. Chances are pretty decent... I will know more once my 370z is down for winter hibernation in a couple weeks.
Very nice thanks for the update Charles.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:10 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
E85 and pump are two very different fuels. I don't know why you bring this up when you know that I have dyno graphs before and after header swaps. Same dyno/tuner/kit, so in case you forgot:

Before: http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...ington6265.jpg

After (18psi): http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...12whp_dyno.jpg

As far as T4 housings go, here is a post from a PL (T3) owner on the same dyno and a whole lot more work done to the engine than a simple short block build:

This is my first and last post in this thread.
I don't give a rat's *** about your results with your own kit. They prove nothing concerning PowerLab's results or the OP's results with a similar setup to PL. It's BS and douchebaggery that you used BP kit pump gas results in an attempt to smear and discredit published race gas results of a competitor's kit with a dissimilar design. The OP's results are more in line with PL's results and refute both your past assertions and malicious insinuations. Period.

I also don't care about those results by Injected Performance on their so called "sandbagger" DD dyno. If it's such a low reading dyno, that car would have made 500+whp with pump gas and stock manifolds on a DJ dyno (which is what PL used for their dyno tests & published results). That's not a bad result on pump gas IMO for a kit that maxed out at ~650whp on C16 race gas.

I stand by my prior post because everything I stated in it is factually correct. I also qualified my statement by acknowledging that different fuels were used. However, when assertions have been made about exhaust restrictions with stock manifolds and a T3 turbine housing, I think the OP's results with E85 are still relevant to the debate and worthy of comparison. OP made almost 600whp on E85 and PL made ~650whp with C16 ...both with stock exhaust manifolds and a T3 GT35R turbo.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 11-10-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:31 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by phunk

Thanks for the update Charles. I hope to hear some good and exciting news about this in the upcoming winter months. I'm very curious to see how the EFR turbos perform on a VQ.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 11-10-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:53 PM
str8dum1

The new CEA turbine wheels on the PTE turbos have already shown even better results over their standard wheels. I just dont see the justification in time,money, effort to fit such bulky turbos into such a tight space when proven turbos are already widely available.

The supra guys dont even care to fuss with them, and they have a million times more room to fit those huge housings.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:11 PM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am just looking fwd to something different.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:01 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I stand by my prior post because everything I stated in it is factually correct. I also qualified my statement by acknowledging that different fuels were used. However, when assertions have been made about exhaust restrictions with stock manifolds and a T3 turbine housing, I think the OP's results with E85 are still relevant to the debate and worthy of comparison. OP made almost 600whp on E85 and PL made ~650whp with C16 ...both with stock exhaust manifolds and a T3 GT35R turbo.
how can this car hit 600hp on e85 with a single walbro when people can barely break 500hp on a single walbro on pumpgas on a DD dyno?

something doesn't add up with that. It should need a lot more fuel than 255LPH pump. what is this "altitude" correction?

my question is how? I just put down 540hp/560tq at 18psi (with 12* only) on a mustang dyno last week with my BP kit and e85. my 1000cc injectors were well into the 80% duty cycle with 70psi base fuel pressure on my twin pump. I maxed a single walbro before 500hp on pumpgas so i can't see how it would flow near enough to supply 600hp on e85.

That being said, the kit looks nice and i'm sure it's a strong car but people concentrate too much on dyno numbers when in truth they are so wildly different from elevation, temp, and tuner that you really can't compare them across the board.

maybe i should go to denver next weekend to re-dyno my car after i put my exhaust cutout on and tune for higher boost.

Last edited by binder; 11-11-2011 at 06:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Mofab llc 03' 350z build