Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

GTM: never too late for another SC kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 12:13 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad to see you finally have your car back Gabe. Text me when you're ready to finalize the details of our pending transaction.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 AM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwame
Glad to see you finally have your car back Gabe. Text me when you're ready to finalize the details of our pending transaction.
Thanks, will let you know when i get it wrapped up and all. Most likely this weekend.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:11 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, at least it's reliable....I don't know if I could trust my car on a 6 hr drive...

Originally Posted by gabe3d
Thanks, will let you know when i get it wrapped up and all. Most likely this weekend.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:49 PM
ogiehooker

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default car back

Hey gabe, glad ur cars back....Sam and GTM screwed me out of thousands of dollars and 1.5 yrs of my time...my car is getting close to being finished thanks to Tim at SFR,,,,Sam didn't clearance my block for the stroker crank and that could have cost my the 26K for the engine had Tim not caught Sam's fookup...

Tell us, how long was your car at GTM and how long did he promise YOU? I was told 3 weeks for the engine (shiort block took him 1 yr and it was still wrong)....I was told 3 months for everything and here I am at the 2 yr mark...

Just wondering what your actual times are..

For ME, I tell the world, DO NOT BELIEVE ONE THING SAM CUKSUKERZAWAHARA TELLS YOU.... it WILL be a lie and waaaayy overpriced!

Derrel
Old 06-04-2013, 07:07 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

Wow!!!! Sorry to hear that guys...... I've heard many story about GTM, Sam has Signed his Own Death Certificate........

In Comparison Hal @ Dynosty, has got the Best Rep on this forum. I've not Every heard of One Complaint from anyone about Hal. Everyone praises him for his work. He is the Model of how to run a Co.........
Old 06-05-2013, 12:43 PM
the3kgt2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to hear the details.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:59 AM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by 350z006
Well, at least it's reliable....I don't know if I could trust my car on a 6 hr drive...
Your car has much more power than mine so there is really no comparison, but I'm glad that mine is reliable though. It was one of the thing i wanted to ensure my car is going down this route. Over the past weekend i racked on another 200miles (cruising and pushing it) in the sweltering Fresno heat of 105F and the car ran great. Air out of the blower was around 190F and 115F right after the FMIC. Going down deeper i'm sure it was cooler since there are 50/50 injection at the ports. Fuel efficiency is not so bad either, 200 miles and still have a little more than 1/3 of the tank left.

Originally Posted by ogiehooker
Hey gabe, glad ur cars back....Sam and GTM screwed me out of thousands of dollars and 1.5 yrs of my time...my car is getting close to being finished thanks to Tim at SFR,,,,Sam didn't clearance my block for the stroker crank and that could have cost my the 26K for the engine had Tim not caught Sam's fookup...

Tell us, how long was your car at GTM and how long did he promise YOU? I was told 3 weeks for the engine (shiort block took him 1 yr and it was still wrong)....I was told 3 months for everything and here I am at the 2 yr mark...

Just wondering what your actual times are..

For ME, I tell the world, DO NOT BELIEVE ONE THING SAM CUKSUKERZAWAHARA TELLS YOU.... it WILL be a lie and waaaayy overpriced!

Derrel
Thanks for the good wishes and I'm glad you found peace working with Tim@SFR. I've heard great things coming out of that shop.

Car did take a long time compared to what was expected, but i'm content with the current state of the car right now.

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Wow!!!! Sorry to hear that guys...... I've heard many story about GTM, Sam has Signed his Own Death Certificate........

In Comparison Hal @ Dynosty, has got the Best Rep on this forum. I've not Every heard of One Complaint from anyone about Hal. Everyone praises him for his work. He is the Model of how to run a Co.........
I definitely wish that the project didn't have as many delays but I'm glad I got it back in a good state.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:52 AM
unvmyg35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sup Gabe,

I'm glad you finally got your ride back. It must be a blast to drive it again!
Hit me up when you return to the bay. I would love to check it out!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

Wow! You have a car! What were the final numbers for the car?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:29 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by the3kgt2
Can't wait to hear the details.
Sure will. I'm giving it some time on the road to get a fair assessment on the outcome.

Originally Posted by unvmyg35
Sup Gabe,

I'm glad you finally got your ride back. It must be a blast to drive it again!
Hit me up when you return to the bay. I would love to check it out!
Back in the bay already, hehe. Might be going to back to Korea in a few weeks though so let me know if you are ever around SJ.

Originally Posted by Classy
Wow! You have a car! What were the final numbers for the car?
Yeah, almost forgot i had one too haha. I'll write up a detailed post about the car soon. Not missing your Z anymore?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:48 PM
ogiehooker

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fresno

gabe,

Didn't know you were around fresno..I'm in Bakersfield (yuk) doing some temporary anesthesia work.....Tim's just ha da new baby and is reassembling my car, building new trunk mounted water/meth/remote battery setup...looking at doing some graphics wrap next...hopefully we will be dynoing within the month....

Would like to hookup around Bako if you are ever down this way.

Stay cool! (108 here in bako!).
Old 06-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Classy

Yeah, almost forgot i had one too haha. I'll write up a detailed post about the car soon. Not missing your Z anymore?
I miss having a lighter great handling car (challenger is a pig)

BUT, a LS swapped RX7 may be in my near future

Last edited by Classy; 06-11-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:14 PM
350zhp306

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious as to what happened after CHP pulled you over. Did they ask you to pop your hood and what was the reason for pulling you over?

Glad you got your car back and made it home safely.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:15 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,579 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zhp306
Curious as to what happened after CHP pulled you over. Did they ask you to pop your hood and what was the reason for pulling you over?

I missed this.

What happened?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 AM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by ogiehooker
gabe,

Didn't know you were around fresno..I'm in Bakersfield (yuk) doing some temporary anesthesia work.....Tim's just ha da new baby and is reassembling my car, building new trunk mounted water/meth/remote battery setup...looking at doing some graphics wrap next...hopefully we will be dynoing within the month....

Would like to hookup around Bako if you are ever down this way.

Stay cool! (108 here in bako!).
Yeah, it'd be great to meet up with fellow enthusiast. Though I am never there during the weekdays though, however weekends i'm almost always there unless if I'm in Asia for work.

Originally Posted by 350zhp306

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
I missed this.

What happened?
Since my car was at GTM for a while I didn't get a chance to get it smogged and on top of that I didn't have my front plate on. So i got ticketed for both of those.

When I saw him pull up behind me, I was very nervous to say the least. The sound of the engine, the smell of the fume and the exhaust note clearly gave it away that i'm modified. He took a look at the front of the car and under the hood but didn't say anything.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Classy

Glad it wasn't worse, man I am glad I am not living in California!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,579 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Yeah, it'd be great to meet up with fellow enthusiast. Though I am never there during the weekdays though, however weekends i'm almost always there unless if I'm in Asia for work.

Since my car was at GTM for a while I didn't get a chance to get it smogged and on top of that I didn't have my front plate on. So i got ticketed for both of those.

When I saw him pull up behind me, I was very nervous to say the least. The sound of the engine, the smell of the fume and the exhaust note clearly gave it away that i'm modified. He took a look at the front of the car and under the hood but didn't say anything.
Gotcha.

Glad that is all it was.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:41 PM
gabe3d

It's been a long wait hoping for my car to finish this phase of its upgrade and the day I planned to go down to GTM to pick it up was a mixed bag of emotions that left me thinking about what I should expect from my car and how I should feel about this engagement.

That day, 6/1/2013, started very early with me and my brother-in-law driving 250 miles in his SUV to meet Sam at his shop at 11am. The weather was pleasant and traffic was light giving me the opportunity to zone out and really think about what I am doing with the car and where I am headed to with it. The road is one that I usually take to go to Socal and prior trips with my car had made seemingly ordinary places become notable landmarks only I can relate to...hey that's the hill l was going up when my oil was overheating, hey that's where i hit a pothole and lost my plate, hey that's the McDonald I crashed my bumper. By the time I finished reminiscing thru all of those emotional instances the car has put me thru, I find myself at a new landmark...hey that's the shop I took my G35 to get supercharged. For better or worst, it's a landmark that will be forever en-grained in me and that will hopefully be overcome in the next few hours to come, but what would be considered as overcome? A question I really didn't know the answer to.

Reunification with a long lost relative. No matter the consequences that have unraveled during the time apart with someone you love, it will never diminish that innate feeling you have deep down inside. You always wish for the best but anything short of that will still be alright. Sam finished the first phase of this project a while back in September with the car making a very promising 500whp/360wtp with 9psi, from there on out it was a battle to extract more boost and eventually we called it quits. 10 years is how long I've had my G35 and getting to sit and drive it again was really all that mattered to me. At that point I really didn't care whether it was better, stronger or faster but more concerned whether it was still ok and safe to drive home. During the test drive everything felt normal with no "oohs and ahhs" and thankfully no "uh ohs". Conversation between me and Sam were kept to the point and cordial so within a few hours I was off on the road to put my car thru its first real-world test with a 5-6 hours drive back home.

Pedal to the metal...not so much. Right off the bat we hit the dreaded LA traffic and to top it off the CHP was on to me just 10 minutes on the road. I've heard horror stories of people getting ref tickets and all I can think of in my head was "Are you kidding me, waited this long to get my car back and now I'm probably gonna have to pull the damn thing out...". Thankfully god had an eye out for me that day and I left with minimal damage with a fix-it-ticket for the front plate and expired registration. It wasn't until one or two hours later on the road where I really had a chance to test out the car's new ability to get speeding tickets. To be honest, I wasn't impressed a bit with the car given the substantial investment put into the car. I was deflated to say the least but keeping positive i did experience a few positive things about the car that made it much more drivable on a daily basis. To put insult to injury, 50 miles away from home a terrible rattling started to develop underneath the car. Given the sound I was pretty certain it was some part of the exhaust and decided to head home cruising steadily. To sum things up, the day was both a happy and depressing day for me, but I was glad to make it back home in one piece.

That was a little over two weeks ago and ever since then a few things have changed and I'm feeling better already. Car took a one week break without me driving it at all, until I had the chance to get underneath of it to see what was going on. I had a chance to do so on 6/8/2013 and found the root cause to be related to my rear mid muffler being cracked and causing a vibration where the axle back bolt on my shockwave exhaust hitting the differential cover.

With that out of the way I ordered a new exhaust (Tanabe Medallion) to quiet down the exhaust note since the car is louder than before and rotated the bolt so that it doesn't touch the differential cover anymore. Feeling better that it wasn't a major problem I drove it down to my second home which is in the Bay Area and closer to the shop that I trust, Z Car Garage, and have been going to during my NA saga. Rob which has become a good friend of mine was happy to see the car back after its supercharged transformation. We went on a test drive and both concurred that the car really didn't feel like 500whp, therefore to put a number to a feeling Rob thru it on the dyno and indeed it was barely any better than when i first brought the car to GTM hitting only 425whp@7100rpm. The numbers didn't add up since the boost target was hit. Rob had an intuition and decided to disable the knock sensors. While keeping a close ear to the engine he made a pull to see the results. Still far from my original goals but much closer to what it was suppose to be at.

Knock sensors OFF vs ON
Name:  GabeGTMbasetoZCG_zpsc44eb141.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  69.9 KB

Knock sensors OFF vs NA setup

To understand the situation better some exchange with Sam initiated and as a result we will check a few more things down the line regarding the health of the longblock when I am away or when summer time is over, but for now I'll enjoy the car the way it is.

Name:  IMG_6665-2_zpsd4bef082.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  34.3 KB
Name:  IMG_6660_zps02acdfcd.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  34.3 KB
Old 06-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Crazy story. Car looks great though.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:06 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The knock sensor issue is prevalent with noisy superchargers, if not FI cars altogether...I've had to disable mine due to the constant false knock readings when using Osiris...

Numbers are pretty good for a supercharger, but I would think it should be more for a stroker engine and for the $ spent, but nonetheless, its good you got your car back with decent numbers...

Quick Reply: GTM: never too late for another SC kit