Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

GTM: never too late for another SC kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T with a 6 speed manual, I needed to get a car to haul my kids around in, my 350z just wasn't suited for it. I also bought a house and a lot of other stuff for my wife, the house and so on... My car modifying budget currently is nonexistent, I made an intake, haha, but when it is, I will be adding an exhaust, longtube headers, probably OBX again, and a mild cam to bring it to about 400 RWHP with a good tune.

Last edited by Classy; 12-03-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:45 PM
herrschaft

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gabe3d
Good to hear. Did you get a chance to install your driveshaft yet?
If everything fits properly, it will be getting installed this week.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TWINEMINDER
Yeah I did realize most of the down time was because they were still doing the original fab work on the kit while your car was apart. I was just curious about it's current state with what appears to be a fully assembled product. It's the price you pay for innovation and being the test mule I suppose. I am anxious to see the results. Your car is sweet. BTW Did you ever install that trophy brake kit? Any Pics?
Nope, the Trophy BBKs are still just sitting on the floor in the original boxes. Hopefully there is no fitment problem with them since i've had them for over half a year.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Mike@GTM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just want to give a update on what is going on with this project. First off, the car has been done for a while now and made 500whp with a really nice, flat torque curve to redline. As Gabe said, this is a heavily modified car and was originally optimized for maximum naturally aspirated horsepower. Without getting into all the details, this project has required a lot of work outside of the supercharger development itself. All that said, we are working on getting more power out of this car and that is why it is still here.

For example, we deleted the high flow cats and replaced them with test pipes to open up the exhaust a little more. Incidentally, rather than increasing horsepower, horsepower was actually lost. Studying the dyno graphs and conferring with the engineers at Rotrex, we are very close to understanding why boost and horsepower decreased with the higher flowing exhaust. Just so you guys know, we have already hit 550whp with a G37 with this same supercharger using our 4.2L Stroker engine and nothing more than a 5 angle valve job for the heads.

One of the things we are finding is that superchargers in general are very different in what mods they respond well to. Much like building a full naturally aspirated engine vs. a turbocharged engine, a supercharger has its own unique set of needs to make good power. Given the data we've gathered on this particular engine build, we have established a basis to do some computer modeling to evaluate different cam grind possibilities. The cams we installed already are a grind that is optimized for top end power and as the dyno graph shows, power keeps climbing all the way to redline with no signs of letting up. That is the kind of graph that Gabe originally wanted. That said, we are working to get more power.

While the trial and error we've done might seem like a waste of time, it is important to understand that without concrete data to show how the whole engine, induction, and exhaust system reacts to different changes, it is very difficult to model various changes without proper boundary conditions and data to compare against. It's all well and good to do a bunch of math via a computer model, but without having actual real world data to check it against, you can be shooting in the dark just as easily.

The bottom line is that we are pretty confident that this supercharger has more power in it, but it is just a matter of fine tuning the supporting modifications to fully realize the potential of the Rotrex C38-92.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:56 PM
gabe3d

Thanks for the response Mike. I think it means a lot to the community and how the company is perceived when you guys chime in to show that things are progressing from your side. As I'm sure everyone knows its been a very trying project but everyone involve in the project is hopeful that things will turn out for the best.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:02 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,578 Likes on 2,037 Posts

That is really good news, thanks Mike.

My stroker has 11.01 pistons. Gabe, what compression are you running. maybe I'll do this............

GAAAAAA.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:36 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If you had seen my thread on test pipes and superchargers you would have already known about the weirdness of superchargers and test pipes...

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...g-results.html

I'm still running a cat on my 600whp Vortech setup...

Last edited by 350z006; 12-06-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

I have heard of the cat gaining hp before on the VQ, I was even planning a motordyne xyz with a cat just for that reason. 500hp out of a built vq35 is really good, and if you got 550 out of a g37 stroker, there might not be much left to gain out of his engine
Old 12-06-2012, 05:12 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
That is really good news, thanks Mike.

My stroker has 11.01 pistons. Gabe, what compression are you running. maybe I'll do this............

GAAAAAA.

My car is also 11:1 CR. Haha, always something more you can do to your car. It'll never stop until you run out of money...

Originally Posted by 350z006
If you had seen my thread on test pipes and superchargers you would have already known about the weirdness of superchargers and test pipes...

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...g-results.html

I'm still running a cat on my 600whp Vortech setup...
It wasn't a surprised that we lost boost/power when we switched over to the TP, since the dynamics of things would logically dictate that. The test was done in order to get a good profile on how the car will behave with different changes in order to model the car better for the next step.

Originally Posted by Classy
I have heard of the cat gaining hp before on the VQ, I was even planning a motordyne xyz with a cat just for that reason. 500hp out of a built vq35 is really good, and if you got 550 out of a g37 stroker, there might not be much left to gain out of his engine
We won't know for certain until we try
Old 12-07-2012, 11:49 AM
ColecatZ

you need to install on a stock 3.5 DE.... a stock 3.5 DE in a 2003 LeMans Sunset since they are most accurate.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:18 PM
ogiehooker

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GTM?

Well gabe, as you may know, I had to take my car out of GTM's all talk no work shop...1.5 yrs and short block wasnt even finished...So Tim at SFR has the car now......I know you are a year in also......Ill be 2 yrs in May since i ordered my GTM engine and its yet to run....

Hope yours turns out sweet...
Originally Posted by gabe3d
Thanks for the good wishes, i hope you and your car are doing well.

No it is not a mistake. The combination of my car being highly modified prior and the kit being new to the platform introduced a lot of variables that were unforeseen. However I'm keeping my chin up and will hopefully be able to post so good stuff for you guys soon. BTW, i've noticed you are on the-370z, do you have a GTM SC on your G37?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 PM
unvmyg35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sup Gabe and updates on this project?
Old 01-18-2013, 03:01 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ouch . that's a long time
Old 02-06-2013, 06:13 AM
gabe3d

It's been a long time indeed and I'll get some updates this friday.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:58 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Perhaps you should change your title to:

GTM: never too long for another SC kit

But seriously, I hope you get your car back soon; I really don't feel that GTM is giving your car the attention it deserves...
Old 02-12-2013, 02:09 AM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by 350z006
Perhaps you should change your title to:

GTM: never too long for another SC kit

But seriously, I hope you get your car back soon; I really don't feel that GTM is giving your car the attention it deserves...
Thanks I hope i get it back too. I've been waiting for a long time and even buddha agrees.

Some updates. Got this a while back and decided to put it up now. It's a simulation graph.

Name:  EAPGraph117psi_zps1c008e91.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  59.5 KB

Car went on their new dyno but it was too low to do a full throttle run so maybe GTM will get some new baseline run for me later today, hopefully.

Name:  P1230190_zps7b44ef2c.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  108.5 KB
Old 02-12-2013, 03:46 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Any vids
Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 AM
350zhp306

Glad to hear that everything is on the go again.

Why would Sam want to throw your car onto his new mustang dyno, when he already establish some baseline dyno graph with the dynojet?

Wouldn't it make more sense to continue with the dynojet to give the community a better idea how the car responds to any changes and then throw it on the mustang dyno as a comparison? It is known that the mustang dyno reads very low as compared to the dynojet.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 AM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
Any vids
No vids.

Originally Posted by 350zhp306
Glad to hear that everything is on the go again.

Why would Sam want to throw your car onto his new mustang dyno, when he already establish some baseline dyno graph with the dynojet?

Wouldn't it make more sense to continue with the dynojet to give the community a better idea how the car responds to any changes and then throw it on the mustang dyno as a comparison? It is known that the mustang dyno reads very low as compared to the dynojet.
The newer dyno allows for better tuning since it can account for load. It also will allow to plot boost.

The upcoming testing and development for the kit will be performed using this dyno. The response to changes should be traceable even with the newer dyno as long as a baseline is done and runs are performed at the end of each test. If he hasn't taken the dynojet offline, then i'll ask him to make a run on it at the end so that we can get an absolute before and after.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Elperuano

At least something is moving along... Man U r a far more patient man than I am. I can't tell u how many custom kits I've seen built, tested, taken apart and inspected and put back together. That's just unfair for you. Takes all the fun out of this hobby.

Sorry I missed ur response earlier, but yes I got a stage 2 TT kit for my g37

Quick Reply: GTM: never too late for another SC kit