Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

HELP! Warning lights and more

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 09:34 AM
Dustynsheyne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Warning lights and more

I hope this finds and answer. 03 A/T Touring Coupe. I went to start the car last night and every warning light came on: ABS, SES, TCS, A/T CHECK, SLIP, and BRAKE. Also the headlights came on without me turning them on, and won't respond to the switch. The taillights won't switch on, just when I brake. No blinkers. No wipers. None of my guages work now. And when I drive it, it shifts really hard. I need help figuring this out.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:40 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

go get codes read. nobody will be able to diagnose your car from behind a keyboard, suck it up and take it to nissan for a proper diagnosis
Old 01-19-2017, 02:54 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Your BCM may be fried. Like Trav said, get it looked at by someone who's qualified.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:01 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Since dkmura is still out for a bit, I'll take his place for a minute...

The Z (and just about every car with OBD-II) has advanced diagnostics available read for free OR the cost of a code reader, a cheap tool which needs to be in EVERY toolbox for owners of cars built in and after 1996.... that's 21 years ago, people. It's about time to suck it up and pay to stop second guessing.
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 03:27 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

LOL! I have four or five OBDII readers (including a dedicated bi-directional laptop), a TCMS reader, maybe 10 electrical system diagnostic tools, several battery tools (inductive, carbon pile load tester, etc.), 2 scopes with inductive and direct hook-ups, 4 or 5 multi-meters (DMM & Analog), a sweet-assed Craftsman engine diagnostic tool from back in the days of points and condensers, timing lights, UV dye kits, vacuum testers up the wazoo, compression testers, positive air testers, electronic injector wands, fuel pressure gauges, inductive coil pack sensors, a table saw...

And I still feel like I'm not even close to having everything I need to properly diagnose most modern cars.

Still, a cheap Autel OBDII scan tool will pay for itself after one use and you can update it yearly over the internet.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:06 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by zakmartin
LOL! I have four or five OBDII readers (including a dedicated bi-directional laptop), a TCMS reader, maybe 10 electrical system diagnostic tools, several battery tools (inductive, carbon pile load tester, etc.), 2 scopes with inductive and direct hook-ups, 4 or 5 multi-meters (DMM & Analog), a sweet-assed Craftsman engine diagnostic tool from back in the days of points and condensers, timing lights, UV dye kits, vacuum testers up the wazoo, compression testers, positive air testers, electronic injector wands, fuel pressure gauges, inductive coil pack sensors, a table saw...

And I still feel like I'm not even close to having everything I need to properly diagnose most modern cars.

Still, a cheap Autel OBDII scan tool will pay for itself after one use and you can update it yearly over the internet.

All the electrical measurement I need. "Yep, l'il Billy's got frizzy hair, we got juice!"

But seriously, I have a good V-O-M, an Innova OBD scanner, and another specific scanner I needed for my German hotrod. First thing I bought for it.

And it pretty much paid for itself by giving me cred with the Benz mechanic who I was getting advice from cuz he knew I was a car guy when I talked about "the DTCs I pulled". Laff... (And yes, I gave him some business as well cuz I tend to trust people who give me straight answers.)

It's all about having the right tools. Seriously.