Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tire size recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 07:48 AM
superpilot04

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Very nice set up.

And very nice location. Looks like Great Highway, ya?

So what do people have against static suspension setups, anyways?? Unless you need to adjust for track conditions, not sure why so many people insist on coilovers... Note that I'm not dissing anyone's choice by any stretch! But at under $2k for static complete with alignment adjusters, TOP LINE shocks, springs, bars, I'll take that bit of predictability, shock & bar adjustment any day over GOOD coilovers starting at near that price.

Just my devalued $.02...
That is the great highway. I take it your familiar with SF. That's right by GG Park.

I took a little road trip down to Mt. Hamilton on Friday and realized I rub on my suspension a little when I hit some fairly big bumps at speed. Any suggestions on fixing this? If I have to go w/ spacers, I'm definitely going to be sticking out of my fenders. If I do go the spacer route, any suggestions on keeping my wheels from sticking out?
Old 10-03-2016, 08:48 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Your rubbing on stock suspension? Did you roll your fenders a wee little bit? Once you roll your fenders they shouldn't rub on any bumps unless your springs are looser than a 72 Cadillac.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:57 AM
superpilot04

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Your rubbing on stock suspension? Did you roll your fenders a wee little bit? Once you roll your fenders they shouldn't rub on any bumps unless your springs are looser than a 72 Cadillac.
I haven't rolled them at all. It feel like it's on the inside and I don't see any rubber marks on the fenders. If it is just the fenders, then I'm going to feel way better about this. I don't need to spend a few more thousand dollars to make these wheels and tires fit properly.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:49 AM
superpilot04

Very nice set up.

So what do people have against static suspension setups, anyways?? Unless you need to adjust for track conditions, not sure why so many people insist on coilovers... Note that I'm not dissing anyone's choice by any stretch! But at under $2k for static complete with alignment adjusters, TOP LINE shocks, springs, bars, I'll take that bit of predictability, shock & bar adjustment any day over GOOD coilovers starting at near that price.

Just my devalued $.02...
I found these bad boys for $1,250 at Z1.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/suspen...ng-p-9466.html
Old 10-03-2016, 11:00 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Are their any marks on your tires at all? Mine rubbed a little when I hit large bumps also I have smaller tires and wheels then you but less offset so they probably sit very similar (9.5 +15s with 265/40/18s), im also lowered a bit, once I rolled my fenders no more unhappy rubs...
Old 10-03-2016, 02:39 PM
superpilot04

My tires are already at the edge. Do you think rolling the fenders will actually make a difference?
Old 10-03-2016, 03:10 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by superpilot04
That is the great highway. I take it your familiar with SF. That's right by GG Park.

I took a little road trip down to Mt. Hamilton on Friday and realized I rub on my suspension a little when I hit some fairly big bumps at speed. Any suggestions on fixing this? If I have to go w/ spacers, I'm definitely going to be sticking out of my fenders. If I do go the spacer route, any suggestions on keeping my wheels from sticking out?
My tires are already at the edge. Do you think rolling the fenders will actually make a difference?
Grew up in SF. Went to high school less than mile from Great Highway. Probably spent more time at the beach there than in class. Ooooops, I mean, my weekends. Laff.

Great Highway used to be THE street race capital of the area running from Lincoln to Balboa. Then they put in those curves and re-did all of the traffic routing/beach parking. And no, I didn't do that... after the first ticket.

S'far as spacers, nix. Your offsets IIRC are low 20s or something now and you went with 275/295, a sure way to get them to rub. Roll the fenders and you shouldn't have that problem at stock height. (Another reason why I go conservative.... I hate the thought of risking paint cracking.)
Old 10-04-2016, 06:01 AM
superpilot04

S'far as spacers, nix. Your offsets IIRC are low 20s or something now and you went with 275/295, a sure way to get them to rub. Roll the fenders and you shouldn't have that problem at stock height. (Another reason why I go conservative.... I hate the thought of risking paint cracking.)
I can't tell if it's the fender or suspension. I looked last night and there doesn't seem to be any marks on neither the outside of my tire nor the inner lip of my fender. But from what everyone is saying, rolling my fenders is the way to go. I'd much rather do that then have to start doing some heavy mods in the rear to have everything work right.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:52 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Its most likely just rubbing the lip of the fender, you might be able to get away with just using a heat gun and ever so slightly roll the lip up...

Rolling the fenders does kinda suck, I almost wish I would have just lived with the occasional rub, but then I rolled my fenders and lowered my car more and now it sits where I want it and it doesn't rub at all.

Just gotta bend that up a little wee bit
Old 10-04-2016, 07:28 AM
superpilot04

Ok you've all convinced me. I'm gonna find a shop around here that'll roll'em for me. Any suggestions on a shop near San Francisco?
Old 10-04-2016, 07:48 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

I can't tell if it's the fender or suspension. I looked last night and there doesn't seem to be any marks on neither the outside of my tire nor the inner lip of my fender. But from what everyone is saying, rolling my fenders is the way to go. I'd much rather do that then have to start doing some heavy mods in the rear to have everything work right.
Two things:

1. If you can't see where it's rubbing (outer side), best to pull the wheels and look for clean marks on your suspension bits, fender liners, and/or tire. (And at least take really good look at the fender lip for clean spots first to verify it's definitely NOT the outer tire edge. Or go to step #2, below.) Rolling the lips won't do a thing for inner clearance issues.

2. To double check outer clearances, chalk or shoe polish the tires (particularly the shoulders and down the sidewall) and once you hear/feel interference, get out of the car and look for the marks.

Identify the problem definitively before attempting to fix anything in a shot-in-the-dark fashion.

If you determine it is the outer edge - which I'm still pretty sure it is because a +22 offset wheel should only take away 11mm of inner clearance... should be more than enough to clear the tire - only then will a lip roll help you.

If it turns out to be the inside, a small slip on spacer (say 3-5mm) should help that out.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:54 AM
superpilot04

Two things:

1. If you can't see where it's rubbing (outer side), best to pull the wheels and look for clean marks on your suspension bits, fender liners, and/or tire. (And at least take really good look at the fender lip for clean spots first to verify it's definitely NOT the outer tire edge.
I don't think I've ever noticed my fender lip being so clean. I was assuming that if my tires are rubbing it a bit, then I would see tire scuff marks. But it sounds like it'll be just the opposite. I'll take one of the wheels off in the next few days to take a look at the inside.