Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 06:52 AM
kflow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z as a daily driver?

I did a search before posting this and couldn't find any info. I am considering a Z as a daily driver and would like feedback from any of you as to whether or not this is a good idea. I am single and don't carry much stuff around except for a mountain bike so some sort of rack/carrier is in order.

How is the Z as a daily driver. Do you find it too confining, rough, impractical? I have had a number of Mustangs so sports cars as daily drivers are not foreign to me but I am concerned about the relative lack of trunk space in the Z.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:55 AM
ZBoater

I've been using my Z as a daily driver ever since my wife "appropriated" my other car, and I can tell you it is a PAIN in the butt. Its a lot of fun until you have to carry something. Sure you can figure something out (ask a friend, rent a car/van, etc.), but other than that the car is a blast to drive daily. I will be getting my other car back soon so my Z can be my weekend car again, but I may be spending more time on my Z than the other car just because I am so used to it now.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:17 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

59350 miles strong as a daily!
Old 07-02-2005, 07:20 AM
SvR350z

I have mine as a daily driver. Love it. I just dont haul anything other than ***.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:33 AM
Zcarboy

I went from a 2001 Mustang GT to a Z, but neither car is my full time daily driver. I drive the Z most of the time, except to work or in winter (snow-rain)
Old 07-02-2005, 07:34 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kflow
I did a search before posting this and couldn't find any info. I am considering a Z as a daily driver and would like feedback from any of you as to whether or not this is a good idea. I am single and don't carry much stuff around except for a mountain bike so some sort of rack/carrier is in order.

How is the Z as a daily driver. Do you find it too confining, rough, impractical? I have had a number of Mustangs so sports cars as daily drivers are not foreign to me but I am concerned about the relative lack of trunk space in the Z.

Any input would be appreciated.
Yes, you can use your Z as a daily driver, but my honest opinion is that if you can only own one car, this shouldn't be it. My guess is that there will be too many times that you wished you could carry a third person, or haul more stuff, etc. If you truly can see yourself not driving more than two people, ever, or never needing more space, go for it, or if you have access to a girlfriend's, friend's or parent's car for practical needs. You'll hate to put anything like a carrier on such a beautiful car, however.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:44 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As a homeowner, I couldn't have purchased the Z without knowing my woman's Escape was there to haul stuff. If I was solo, I'd probably be in an STi.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:46 AM
nissan350zfan

Originally Posted by kflow
I am concerned about the relative lack of trunk space in the Z.
The lack of trunk space is not relative - it is absolute!

I have driven Z cars as a daily driver from 1982 to 2003. First a 1982 280zx and then a 1990 300zx. it can be done, but you have to love these cars to put up with the inconvenience and impracticality of it all, especially once you own a home. Since 1997, my wife has owned a pathfinder, and in 2003 I acquired a Murano. Given our use of these vehicles I don't know how I managed driving all those years with the Z's as my only vehicle.

I still have my 1990 300zx but earlier this year acquired a 350 ZR - I will use it as my "daily driver" for the summer and drive the Murano in winter.

The 350 ZR is the least practical of the lot. There is no interior storage that is convenient to the driver, or passenger for that matter. You want to go golfing, no problem - your clubs will fit in the trunk - there is even a diagram on the trunk lit to show you how to load them. But forget a second set - no room! So you don't get to go blasting out to the golf course with your buddy in your ZR, instead you will take another vehicle. In my case the Murano, not bad, but it is not the Z.

Don't take my message the wrong way, I think my ZR is a great car, but the very things that make it a great sports convertible carry with them serious shortcomings that I think one should seriously consider if thinking about using it as a daily driver. As a homeowner, I would not do this without having access to a more practical vehicle, such as my wife's pathfinder.

Some might consider sacreligious to suggest on this forum that you take a look at a low mileage 1995 Twin Turbo 300zx but I will do so anyway. There are some out there in like new, mint condition - initial cost is less expensive than the 350ZR and they are way more practical IMO.

From your location, I take it that winter driving is not an issue - if it is, that is another story!
Old 07-02-2005, 08:59 AM
DG39

Default Cargo Ability.

I have an 04 Touring and just the other day Put a HP multimedia computer, large format printer and scanner in their boxes in my Z. Did have to drive with the lid up though. Had no problems. And after all, it will hold two (2) golf bags!

Last edited by DG39; 07-02-2005 at 09:00 AM. Reason: add on.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:13 AM
nissan350zfan

Originally Posted by DG39
I have an 04 Touring and just the other day Put a HP multimedia computer, large format printer and scanner in their boxes in my Z. Did have to drive with the lid up though. Had no problems. And after all, it will hold two (2) golf bags!

Yeah, but using a chainsaw to take your top down must be a real b!tch.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Fletch69z

I use mine as a daily driver but if you need room it's not practical. It also sucks in the winter.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:24 AM
MethodRN
For Sale

I'm in Houston and I use mine as a daily driver. If you plan on hauling anything other than A$$ it is impractical as hell. Come January I'm buying my wife a maurano. Thankfully I have family that drive big a$$ SUVs/trucks. Plus we have no kids. Do you know a girl named Liz?
Old 07-02-2005, 09:28 AM
theonetheonly

I use mine as a daily driver, winter and all. Also live alone, so moving stuff takes creativity. Lucky for me my best friend lives next to me.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:28 AM
SB Track

If this is the only car you're going to have access too, honestly get something else.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:47 AM
elms350Z

+1 Z daily driver here! I think most of us on this forum are....
Old 07-02-2005, 09:59 AM
kflow

Thanks for all of the replies. After reading the responses I think having a Z for a daily driver probably wouldn't be the best idea. I have been thinking about a Subaru Legacy GT as well. Obviously not the car a Z is but all wheel drive is nice.

MethodRN - No I don't know Liz. Is she worth knowing?
Old 07-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Art Vandaleigh

I daily drive mine and its great for trips and around town but forget trying to haul larger things. The golf bag space can be rather frustrating too, as two bags will fit, but its a royal pain in the *** to get the 2nd bag in behind the rear strut brace. Also consider that you can only have one passenger, and that may be something you have to think over if you like goin out with friends.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:22 AM
crjpilot

This is my only car as well. I haven't run into any problems with it yet, but I can always use my GF's car if I need more room. I share the same view as everyone who says if you don't have access to another car at least, don't do it. You will regret it I think.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:04 PM
soldierboy

I fit a 26 inch suitcase and two duffle bags in the trunk... and a lot more miscel.. stuff. ... the only problem I had was... couldn't carry a 32 inch... flatscreen tv.. ihihiih and that is y u have friendssssssssss... and yess it is my daily car.... the only problem i am concern now is driving it in the winter...snow...(Z is horrible in snow).. it's bad in the rain tooo... and it's rain a lotttttttttttttt in Seattle area....and you live in Texas.... "you cannnn do it.... all year long!"

Quick Reply: Z as a daily driver?