Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Winter!!! Who here has driven there Z in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 08:35 PM
alan00000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter!!! Who here has driven there Z in the snow?

I searched but couldnt find the answer i needed. I was wondering would i need to get winter tires or do i need to just drive carefully with sand bags in the back. The tires i have now are stock and in perfect condition like new. I'ts my first RWD car so what do you guys think. I dont want to spend the money on snow tires if there not really going to help drastically. What do i do? I 'm worried. And who here has driven there Z in the winter with STock tires.? if so explain how it went. easy no problems explain please. I'm going to bed now.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:03 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

The tires are summer tires, designed primarily for dry weather performance. You figure out how well they'd do on snow...
Old 10-19-2005, 10:10 PM
DBZ33

I have had my car for about 3 years now. I also live in a sub of Chicago. I tried to drive it in the snow the first year I had it and it was not fun. After the first snow storm I put it away. Now every year I put it away. If you are going to drive it buy some snow tires or a good set of all seasion tires. Good Luck.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:52 PM
bamyi

I drive mine in the snow all the time. For the most part, it handles well IF you know how to drive in the snow. However, snow tires do help alot. I use continental x-treme contact and I find that its a excellent all around tires for all seasons. Heres a link to another thread on this same topic:https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/144998-snow-tires.html

My first adivce is to get driving lessons on how to drive in snow. I pass so many ppl stuck with their SUV while I just cruise by in my Z.

Here's some tips: Others can add in or correct me if I'm worng.

1.Keep traction at all times, go as slow as you have to. 10mph is better than 20mph into a brick wall. If you lose control, don't slam on your brake, just gently apply the brakes. Steer the tires to where you want to go. Once the car slow down enough, release the brakes (your car at this point is going slow enough for the tires to get traction) and the car will travel in the direction the tire is pointing. This is hard since instint will tell you to slam on your brake and once you do that, its over.

2. Always look at WHERE you want to go not what you're going hit. Your body naturally will steer to where you are looking. So if you're sliding toward a pole, DON'T LOOK at the pole but at the "exit lane". Ever wonder why that in the middle of no where, ppl hit telephone poles where it's the only structure around for miles?

3. With the Z, start in 2nd gear.

4. Avoid hills, especially ones with traffic lights, but if you have too, enter the hill at a safe constant speed. Once you find the comfortable speed as you're climbing the hill, stick with it. Don't acclerate or slown down.

5. Keep good maintenance of your tires, if you have to, lower your psi a few pounds.

Also, do a search on the net for more driving tips. Good luck and drive safely.

Last edited by bamyi; 10-19-2005 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:33 AM
typhaon

Originally Posted by alan00000
I searched but couldnt find the answer i needed. I was wondering would i need to get winter tires or do i need to just drive carefully with sand bags in the back. The tires i have now are stock and in perfect condition like new. I'ts my first RWD car so what do you guys think. I dont want to spend the money on snow tires if there not really going to help drastically. What do i do? I 'm worried. And who here has driven there Z in the winter with STock tires.? if so explain how it went. easy no problems explain please. I'm going to bed now.
If you try to drive anywhere on the stock tires in snow - at best, you will crash your car. At worst....

It is not a matter of driving carefully, slowly, knowing how to drive in snow or whatever... it just doesn't work.

Imagine an ice-skating rink and you in a pair of shoes with grease on them.

Last edited by typhaon; 10-20-2005 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:14 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Car does not handle period in snow with summer tires. Change to all season or winter (snow) tires and it handles very nice.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:22 AM
AlfaRomeoSpider

Hi, i live in sweden! In sweden we have real winters! The major part of tire and car manufacturers com to sweden for winter testing because winters here are plenty snowy and plenty cold.

To drive in winterconditions like this you need a good winter tire. First because the rubber in a summertire like the RE040 gets real hard in the cold and that reduces grip. Second because you need another pattern (is that the word?) that grips better in the snow. Third you may want to drive a tire with studs that grip the ice better. Although i am not sure that is legal in the US.

My recommendation (of course) would be to go for a scandinavian or north european tire. I just ordered a set of Finnish Nokian Hakka 4, a test winning winter tire with square studs.

On the other hand I am sure there are american wintertires that are real good but unfortunately I dont know any american makes.

Good Luck and please don´t drive in snow with summer tires or cars or people will get hurt. That is, if you manage to leave the parking lot.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:10 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I’ve been driving in the snow since 1967. I do not drive the 350Z in the snow.

Last edited by davidv; 10-20-2005 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:31 AM
ak_350

well up here in alaska i have had no problems driving my other rwd cars, just got the z but im sure it would hold up fine if i were to drive it with some snow tires. I would deffinately reccomend getting some blizzaks or nokian hakka's as stated above, i've had great luck with both. good luck!
Old 10-20-2005, 08:39 AM
bamyi

Originally Posted by typhaon
If you try to drive anywhere on the stock tires in snow - at best, you will crash your car. At worst....

It is not a matter of driving carefully, slowly, knowing how to drive in snow or whatever... it just doesn't work.

Imagine an ice-skating rink and you in a pair of shoes with grease on them.
I beg to differ, the first year I had my car I drove it in snow on oem tires. Wasn't great, but I didn't crash my car...."at best" ...however, I do highly recommend snow tires, not stock.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:57 AM
stl350

last winter it snowed unexpectedly one night. i got stuck driving with my SO-3s. with a light foot on the gas and break i made it home fine.

the only thing that really makes it difficult are the other people on the road and if your windows are not cleared properly or foggy.

another tip -- keep good friends with jeeps.

good luck
Old 10-20-2005, 09:02 AM
seanlaw

WINTER TIRES ARE A MUST...

Also, when completely stopped turn off your VDC, start in 2nd, then once you get momentum turn on VDC and leave on, drive slow, and press the brakes every so lightly or downshift slowly
Old 10-20-2005, 09:34 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My Z wouldn't go over 5 mph without losing control in an ice/snow storm in 2004 on stock tires (summer). Bought Conti Extreme contacts, no more problems. This year I got a set of Pirelli Snowsports 240 for the stock rims. I will see how those handle.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:10 PM
alan00000

Thanks for all the help guys . Especially Bamyi Thanks for the tips ill buy some snow tires
Old 10-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with Bamyi, I drove the Z through two winters on the stock R040's, and I have a Base without the VLSD. Starting in 2nd and being smooth and gentle with the throttle, you can get around. The only time I got screwed was when the parking lot at work wasn't plowed and there was too much ice. Snow is one thing, but on ice with no LSD, I just peglegged a rooster tail from one tire. Made a great show, but I had to bum a ride home that night.
Will
Old 10-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Zeromus

Originally Posted by bamyi
I beg to differ, the first year I had my car I drove it in snow on oem tires. Wasn't great, but I didn't crash my car...."at best" ...however, I do highly recommend snow tires, not stock.
(posted this in the other thread bamyi linked to, but I'm not sure if anyone checks that...)

I live in Chicago as well, and after reading these posts it seems like investing in a set of all-season tires is a very smart idea. Bamyi, those continental wheels sound pretty good, and it looks like you have them on the Nismo LMGT's? I'll be receiving my '06 in late November or early December just when the snow hits here.

I'm seriously thinking about getting the bronze LMGT's, but not sure if I want to spend that much right now. Would you guys recommend going for it if I were to buy a new set of these tires, or just swapping out the potenzas when my Z arrives and buying the LMGT's in a year or so like I was originally planning?
Old 10-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by ak_350
well up here in alaska i have had no problems driving my other rwd cars, just got the z but im sure it would hold up fine if i were to drive it with some snow tires. I would deffinately reccomend getting some blizzaks or nokian hakka's as stated above, i've had great luck with both. good luck!
+1 for the blizzaks

Last edited by Z_Driver; 10-20-2005 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:32 PM
bamyi

Originally Posted by Zeromus
(posted this in the other thread bamyi linked to, but I'm not sure if anyone checks that...)
Lol, I just finished replying to your post in the other thread. I also gave you a link to this thread but you beat me to it.

Originally Posted by alan00000
Thanks for all the help guys . Especially Bamyi Thanks for the tips ill buy some snow tires
Anytime brother, drive safe and enjoy...even in the winter times
Old 10-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Zeromus

Originally Posted by bamyi
Lol, I just finished replying to your post in the other thread. I also gave you a link to this thread but you beat me to it.

Anytime brother, drive safe and enjoy...even in the winter times
Haha, thanks for both replies. I've still got a month to think about it, but I'm going to see if I can manage to get the LMGT's so I don't waste money on two sets of tires like you said. It looks like I can get a set of 18's for around $1800 (is this a good price or can I do better?), and if you don't mind my asking, how much did the set of the continental tires you have set you back? Any recommendations on a good site to order from? Thanks.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:15 AM
bamyi

Originally Posted by Zeromus
Haha, thanks for both replies. I've still got a month to think about it, but I'm going to see if I can manage to get the LMGT's so I don't waste money on two sets of tires like you said. It looks like I can get a set of 18's for around $1800 (is this a good price or can I do better?), and if you don't mind my asking, how much did the set of the continental tires you have set you back? Any recommendations on a good site to order from? Thanks.
Thats a good price. To be honest with you, I got my Nismo and tires for free. A friend had a Z with these setup and he crashed it, gave me the wheels and tires to me for free. I'm currently in the market for a new set of conti so I'll let you know. A good starting point might be to check out the conti site and find the nearest dealer.

Quick Reply: Winter!!! Who here has driven there Z in the snow?