Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Winter!!! Who here has driven there Z in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Havok_RLS2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dunlop Winter Sport M3+. Simply bad a$$. Check Tire Rack for best pricing and customer rating.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:58 AM
eric_c

It was km/h, which works out to about 46 mph on a road where the speed limit is 100 km/h (60 mph). Conditions were not all bad, and I was merely keeping up with traffic. It had been snowing moderately for about 45 minutes, but the road was still mainly clear (but greasy) with the odd patch of hard packed snow. Several cars ahead of me had no issue whatsoever when I had my little adventure.

Maybe I was driving faster than prudent in the car, but I don't think its feasible to be driving at 15 - 20 mph while everyone else is able to safely drive 40 to 50 mph. Hence why the car gets parked on snow days.

Originally Posted by dcmidnight
With all due respect, this is the main problem I have with people driving in snowstorms around these parts - and most those folks have SUVs. Even if I give you the benefit of the doubt and say thats KM/H in Canada, whats that, 50mph in 6th in a snowstorm? Maybe some here would think thats an OK way to go in the Z, but I dont. I grew up in Northern New England winters and I wouldnt drive a 4x4 that way. How do you expect a RWD car to react at those speeds in the snow? But no, I dont think this car was made to drive in constant snow.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:14 AM
jivillarreal

TIRE EQUIPMENT
1. SUMMER tires are of a tread design to
provide superior performance on dry pavement.
However, the performance of these
tires will be substantially reduced in snowy
and icy conditions. If you operate your vehicle
on snowy or icy roads, NISSAN recommends
the use of MUD & SNOW or ALL SEASON
tires on all four wheels. Consult a NISSAN
dealer for the tire type, size, speed rating and
availability information.
2. For additional traction on icy roads, studded
tires may be used. However, some provinces
and states prohibit their use. Check local,
state and provincial laws before installing
studded tires.
Skid and traction capabilities of studded
snow tires, on wet or dry surfaces,
may be poorer than that of non-studded
snow tires.
3. Tire chains may be used.

The above is copied and pasted from the owner's manual (which is an easy download from the Nissan website--and handy to have in pdf format to browse)
Old 12-17-2006, 09:26 AM
sliver350z

I got my blizzaks 2.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:07 PM
IronMedic

my grand touring roadster came stock with michelin pilot sports and i drive them in every weather condition. no problems!
Old 12-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Paul55100

This is one old thread.

Anyway, if you have to drive in snow, GET SNOW TIRES. Those of you that are saying, "well, I do okay with my summer/all-season tires," I bet you haven't tried out snow tires. They make a HUGE difference.

Dunlop M3's and Blizzak LM's are great snow tires.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:11 PM
GalvatronType_R

I've heard some people put a sandbag or cinder blocks in the hatch of the Z in addition to snow/all season tires. I assume this helps with snow traction also, no?
Old 12-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Paul55100

Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R
I've heard some people put a sandbag or cinder blocks in the hatch of the Z in addition to snow/all season tires. I assume this helps with snow traction also, no?
It always helps to have weight on top of the driving wheels. But, I don't really see a necessity in the Z's--you'll get enough traction with just snow tires. Plus, you don't want sandbags or cinder blocks flying through your cabin in an accident.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Zmazing03

I got Blizzaks two weeks ago. I actually got them wholesale with a buddy who was able to hook me up. 225/50-17 all around, on the stock rims. We haven't had any snow for me to really test it in so far, but we did have about an inch a few weeks ago, and the Z didn't have any isues. My first car I drove in the snow was an '86 Rx7. Far less powerful, but weighed a lot less and I didn't have snow tires. It also didn't have LSD.

I have no choice but to drive the Z this winter. I got snow tires for one reason only, escape. This is not a "go out and play" car.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:23 PM
bacalhau16

You guys are crazy. Snow tires or not, I dont think I would ever do it. Ive got a deal on a 96 jeep 4x4 for only $1000, so thats probably what I will be doing.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:35 AM
youngZ33

HUGE storm over here in CO, even if i had snow tires, id rather keep my Z in the garage and get dropped off to work.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:23 AM
MasterRacer

The Z with stock tires is NOT MEANT for snow driving, although I have done it, Iam still alive
I do admit it was idiotic but it handled pretty well even with the poopoo
Bridgestones it comes with. Once you guys aqquire the "Know how to drive"
skill you'll be ok haha
Old 12-20-2006, 01:46 PM
bamyi

yes, you can do this and it will help in traction...a little. Its still much wiser to just get snow tires. Besides, the associated problems with having extra weight in the back is how it will effect your rear shocks in the long run.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:48 PM
bamyi

Originally Posted by youngZ33
HUGE storm over here in CO, even if i had snow tires, id rather keep my Z in the garage and get dropped off to work.
What snow storm? I dont' see anything out my window...oh, my window is compeletly cover in snow.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:16 PM
hardrock905

It's a good idea to keep your tank as full as possible when the roads are bad. I forget how much weight a full tank is on the Z, but I believe it is well over 100 lbs., like 120 maybe?
Sandbags and cinder blocks in a hatchback is not a good thing at all. It just may kill or injure you, even if you are in a somewhat minor accident.
A buddy of mine back in HS had a full size van loaded down with cinder blocks for the winter. We were cruising in bad weather and he went off the road and hit a bank. Not hard, but hard enough to send cinder blocks towards us. We got away with minor injuries, scrapes and bruises, all from the cinder blocks, not the wreck itself.
Sandbags/cinder blocks in the bed of a truck or trunk of a car, yes, in a hatchback or a van......no no no no no.

Last edited by hardrock905; 12-20-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Zmazing03

Gas is 6 lbs per gallon, so fill it up and yeah, thats 120 pounds.

You guys are crazy. Snow tires or not, I dont think I would ever do it.
You grow up in the Northeast? I see Dartmouth, so perhaps. Anyway I have been driving in the snow with RWD since I could drive. I will survive.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:03 PM
Fletch69z

I've driven mine in the winter. Just drive carefully. The stock tires suck. I changed out to some Dunlop all season SP 5000's and love them for all times of year.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:22 PM
bacalhau16

Originally Posted by Zmazing03
Gas is 6 lbs per gallon, so fill it up and yeah, thats 120 pounds.

You grow up in the Northeast? I see Dartmouth, so perhaps. Anyway I have been driving in the snow with RWD since I could drive. I will survive.
I think its more like 8lbs a gallon if Im not mistaken, but yes I live in the Northeast. Dartmouth is in Southeastern Massachusetts. Its not like we get tons of snow over here, but for most of January and February it can get pretty ugly at times.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:41 PM
CelticPride2

Originally Posted by bacalhau16
I think its more like 8lbs a gallon if Im not mistaken, but yes I live in the Northeast. Dartmouth is in Southeastern Massachusetts. Its not like we get tons of snow over here, but for most of January and February it can get pretty ugly at times.
Still haven't gotten around to putting my Blizzaks on yet...pretty tough to remember when it's inexplicably 50 degrees outside for most of December.

(not that I'm complaining, of course...if this is what the rest of this year's New England winter is going to be like, then sign me up)
Old 12-21-2006, 07:55 PM
HEUGE
Charter Member #40

Now that I have moved to TX, my Blizzaks are just sitting in the garage. I'm just hoping for that one "magical" snowstorm that will allow me to justify bringing them from the NorthEast.

Visual: Big Texas Pickups sliding all-over the road with the Z just pulling straight on through.

Last edited by HEUGE; 12-21-2006 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Winter!!! Who here has driven there Z in the snow?