2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New Z in the snow...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 11:39 PM
mattyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Z in the snow...

Hey Fellas,

I'm strongly considering a new Z....right now I have a 2002 Audi A4 that will be going to my fiance if I get the new Z, my question is, will the new Z be awful in the snow, I live in CT and we get some snow. If I throw some snows on in the winter, do you think I'll be allright?
Old 06-12-2002, 11:47 PM
wxtornado

Where there's snow, there's also probably road salt and other chemicals - gotta think about that too.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:00 AM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EUgh... Z in snow?

I wouldn't be thinking about that.

Even if you don't get yourself in a jam, someone might slip and hit you.

I think it'll drive to an extent, but it's not going to be easy.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:43 AM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

How do you like the A4.. in Houston you could lease for 199$ a month.

The chemicals/ salt/ snow and stuff shouldn't hurt the car if maintained propoerly... this maybe a hassle. I was born in Detroit and my dad had a 70's era Corvette and a Old 240Z. When they use to use harsh stuff on the streets. He told me the vehicles today can withstand most of the chemicals and hazards. But new tires would be nice. Plus there is that underguard on the bottom of the car (atleast I think?) BTW.. I asked because I was looking at going to U of M for grad school. So there was general concern for the snow and my new Z.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:41 AM
FalGra

I'm so happy I live in sunny Florida, we don't even know what snow is here... lol... I don't think it will be too great in the snow/ice... lots of torque, RWD.... you need to know how to drive such a car to be able to handle the slick roads... Same goes for the rest of the FWD people who haven't had a RWD car before. It's quite different... Take it easy, start in 2nd gear to cut down the torque... That is how I drive on ice... I start in 2nd gear and it keeps my torque low enough so I can accellerate but not spin out...
Old 06-13-2002, 02:46 AM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Even with all the smoke & mirrors stability control, etc, I'd strongly advise against driving the Z through snow. It's just not what it was designed for. Especially with some super-sticky S03's...
Old 06-13-2002, 03:34 AM
Samurai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in MD and we get some snow and ice. My new Z will be my only car so I will have to drive it in the snow. I have driven my other Z's in the snow and my current.. gasp... RX7 in the snow. The reason I got the Performance model is because it has ABS, Traction Control, and VDC. I was really hoping for anything I can get to help with snow travel. I do have a job where I don't always have to go in if it snows but I usually get caught a couple of times a year. I'll be glad to report back after the first snow.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:41 AM
rouxeny

Hey, you're the only other CT person I've seen here. I'm down in New Haven and I plan on driving it in the snow. Hopefully, I'll be able to get rides from coworkers on the really bad days. I plan on getting at least a good set of all season tires, and most likely full winter tires. No point in screwing around. Believe me, this was a major concern prior to buying this car, but I'm coming to believe that it should be possible, and safe. Obviously, you'll have to be slow and careful, but I'm confident it can be done. The latest Automobile magazine describes driving a Corvette Z06 through Michigan winters without too many problems. Also, what do all the Yuppies with BMWs do?
Old 06-13-2002, 03:58 AM
mattyZ

Default Exactly....

I work down in Norwalk....I've got the A4 which as everyone knows has Quattro which is unreal in the snow...so I could always take that when it's bad, and there is no way I would ever drive a Z in the snow with S-03's!!! I would put on some Dunlop Winter Sports....I think this should be plenty for the 2 snowfalls a winter we get now in CT....by the way, if anyone knows anything about Fairfield County, CT, all you see is RWD BMW's every 2 feet....
Old 06-13-2002, 04:15 AM
tbcz

You should be OK with snow tires. Get a model with traction control (i.e. anything but the base model)...I don't think VDC makes much of a difference in snow. I think experience driving in the snow is a factor too. If you were raised in the northeast, and are one of the few drivers who pays attention to their driving, you probably already have skills for driving in the stuff. It never ceases to amaze me when I watch people stop while going up hills or slamming on their brakes...or the ones who think they are exempt from all traffic laws if there is an inch of snow on the ground. Of course common sense will tell you when to not even take it out...it is a Z, after all!
Old 06-13-2002, 04:52 AM
rouxeny

Actually, I learned to drive in California, where the world stops if it rains. It's also the only place I've ever seen snow chains in use. Then, I moved to Albany, NY. What a change.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:48 AM
Jill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Exactly....

Originally posted by new Z maybe?
I work down in Norwalk....I've got the A4 which as everyone knows has Quattro which is unreal in the snow...so I could always take that when it's bad, and there is no way I would ever drive a Z in the snow with S-03's!!! I would put on some Dunlop Winter Sports....I think this should be plenty for the 2 snowfalls a winter we get now in CT....by the way, if anyone knows anything about Fairfield County, CT, all you see is RWD BMW's every 2 feet....
My friend went to college there - at fairfield u. It's beautiful there! I was contemplating a move up there after college, but I don't think that's going to happen BMW's are common up there, I remember driving in disgust..hehe
Old 06-13-2002, 08:53 AM
nblancha
Charter Member #80

Way I look at it, the 350z and the G35 are 95% identical. Would you really expect people that buy the G35 to not drive it in the winter? Of course not. Its definately an all season car. The main factor will be the tires you have on the car.

I learned to drive on my dads mitsubishi pickup truck during the winter. To this day I LOVE driving in the snow. Sliding around corners, 360s, etc. Don't make sudden movements and you will be fine. The greatest risk are other drivers if you drive safely.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:00 AM
chicago_z

I live in the city (see handle) and I only really ever use my car on the weekends.

I've been planning on keeping my FWD 94 Probe GT for the winter and keeping the Z in the garage with a cover on it until the nasty part of your typical Chicago winter has passed.

I'm last in line at the dealer I went with for pre-order so it could very well be November before i get the car...

its going to be a long dark winter
Old 06-13-2002, 10:26 AM
Bruce_with_Z

Originally posted by chicago_z
its going to be a long dark winter
Same here.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:09 AM
skimark

I live in Colorado and we get quite a bit of snow. I have put soft compound tires on a Mazda Miata that was the worst car I had ever driven in the white stuff. With the Bridgestone Blizzaks the car drove very well in the snow and handling was pretty good. Just make sure you install 4 of these.

I'm lucky enough to have a 4 wheel drive to use in the winter. The 350Z will probably stay in the garage most of the winter.