Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

BOSE CD player Skipping when cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 06:22 AM
jelledge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOSE CD player Skipping when cold

I have the Bose on the touring model with the in dash CD changer. I have noticed in the last couple of weeks that the CD player is skipping really bad when it is cold in the car (like 40F or below) - first thing in the morning before it warms-up

Outside temps here have finally dipped down to 20's and 30's at night. The CD player will skip really bad until the car warms up inside then it is fine. When the outside temps were warmer the unit always played pefectly.

I am planning to have the dealer see about getting a new stereo installed to see if this is just a fluke.

Anyone else out there having this problem?
Old 11-04-2002, 07:09 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

You might want to check the owners manual. I believe it talked about the effects that cold weather may have on the cd player.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:23 AM
k2we

While I have not experienced the same problem (temp was down to 28 the other day), The CD player in my 1996 GMC Yukon has always had a problem on cold days. Once it warmed up a bit, it worked fine. I think it's a normal happening in cold weather..

I must say, the heater in the "Z" is fantastic. heat is up in less than 30 seconds!! It takes about 5 minutes of running on my Yukon before a trickle of heat starts to appear.

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY
Old 11-04-2002, 08:00 AM
Bazazu

Default consistant

I've heard of a lot of CD players having problems in extreme cold. I also own a 2000 eclipse GT with the 4 disk in dash infiniti system. When its cold it skips too. During the summer, I have to *really* work to get it to skip, but in winter it doesn't take much sidways movement. Hit a small bump in the road and turn at the same time and its almost a guaranteed skip when its cold.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:38 AM
lascala26

I am having the same issue with the CDs skipping in the cold. My old car, ironically was Mitsu Eclipse GT as mentioned above, and I never had a problem with CDs skipping in that car. Is this happening on all touring models in the cold weather climates?
Old 11-10-2003, 06:40 AM
jelledge

Default My fix

I had the dealer replace the head unit (which includes the CD player) about a year ago and all is well now. I have not had one skip since.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:58 AM
jinxxycat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I was having audio-hallucinations this morning. Put a brand new CD in (it was 18 degrees when I woke up) after warming up for like 10 mins, and it started skipping. Glad to hear that this is not uncommon! Although I am seriously considering a new head unit anyways....
Old 11-12-2003, 10:55 AM
N74DV

mine does it too... I need to get the HU replaced
Old 02-07-2005, 07:33 AM
rbaggett1

Add another person to the list. I had this happen to me twice since I've had the car. Once a couple weeks ago (in the morning), my GNR cd was skipping pretty bad. So I ejected the disc and cleaned it up. Started playing it again and had the same issue. I selected another disc and it seemed to work fine.

This morning it happened again but every disc I selected, I was getting really bad skipping. I tried cleaning the discs but didn't see anything on the disc. I guess I'll just have to live with it.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:54 AM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I had the dealer replace my Bose HU because the left channel would fade (on CD's only).

My new (it has a re-manufactured sticker on it) Bose HU has the "skip while cold" problem toooooooo.

How many times is a Nissan customer going to visit the dealer to get a new radio?

This is just inexcusable. It is only a radio for petes sake. If Nissan can't get such a simple component in their vehicles to work correctly, they are going to lose customers. I never thought I would have problems with a damn car radio.

Add the radio problems to the tires, tranny, squeaks, windows, weak power train, etc problems and it sure GRATES on you.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:45 AM
FairladyZ

Default Re: BOSE CD player Skipping when cold

Originally posted by jelledge
I have the Bose on the touring model with the in dash CD changer. I have noticed in the last couple of weeks that the CD player is skipping really bad when it is cold in the car (like 40F or below) - first thing in the morning before it warms-up

Outside temps here have finally dipped down to 20's and 30's at night. The CD player will skip really bad until the car warms up inside then it is fine. When the outside temps were warmer the unit always played pefectly.

I am planning to have the dealer see about getting a new stereo installed to see if this is just a fluke.

Anyone else out there having this problem?
Yep my dad has a touring, and his skipped. He got the stereo replaced and after a while it skips on occaison. Only in cold weather though.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Aggro_Al

My skips occassionall when the weather is cold. A firend told me that it's not uncommon. It's the laser lens being fogged up much like your windshield when it's cold. As the car warms up the lens will clear. Also, have you tried a CD clearner. The problem might just be dirt.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Q_350Z_USAF

Default Go after-market

Same thing happened to me and I had it replaced by Nissan. Don't waste any more of your time on this. Buy a new one, I bought a Kenwood DDX7015.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:30 PM
zdotcom

I too have the CD skipping problem in cold weather. I wonder if I took it in under warranty, if I would get a replacement from a 2006 model that will play MP3's.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

my non bose headunit would skip after about an half hour of continuous play. took it to the dealership and they said they would have to order a new one for me. they told me that they would mail me a notice to let me know when the headunit got there. well, ive have yet to receive a notice from the dealership about this. no biggy, since i replaced the whole stereo system anyways. but still kinda irratates me. oh well, ill get over it.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:20 PM
ht4

Originally Posted by Aggro_Al
My skips occassionall when the weather is cold. A firend told me that it's not uncommon. It's the laser lens being fogged up much like your windshield when it's cold. As the car warms up the lens will clear. Also, have you tried a CD clearner. The problem might just be dirt.
+1 this is just condensation forming on either the CD or the lens... Every CD player in the world does this.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Z Rider

Holy sh*t! I was freakin out this morning when my CD player kept skipping (first time is has done this) . Hell its was only in the 40's here ( which is NOT very common in TX....specially Houston ). Anyway, I am glad im not the only one having the problem. Im gonna wait to see how bad the problem really is, and if it is cosistent then I will be making a visit to the nearest Nissan dealership.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:06 PM
curnaco

mine skips as well, damn it!
Old 11-17-2005, 06:14 PM
ZRA

I just had my Bose 6 CD changer replaced today under warranty, (05 Touring). It skipped in the warm weather, parked and on rough roads. Will see how the new one works as the weather gets colder here in N.C.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Tekwon-V

Originally Posted by jcn30127
I had the dealer replace my Bose HU because the left channel would fade (on CD's only).

My new (it has a re-manufactured sticker on it) Bose HU has the "skip while cold" problem toooooooo.
jcn, i have/had the SAME EXACT problem. the left side would fade in and out inconsistantly. so because of the problem, the head unit has been replaced 3 months ago. the "new" refurbished one does the same thing again (it worked ok for a month) and it skips like crazy in the morning. it was driving me nuts.

i was just at the dealership and have complained. the service writer has ordered me a new head unit. i said this to her nicely after she placed an order for me; "so, you replace a crap with another crap. when will it stop?"

this NEW-NEW one i get better be in tip-top shape inside and out. because the previous replacement had finger grease stains and gummy stuff all over the face.

i really love this car but sometimes, i want to punch it. haha.

Quick Reply: BOSE CD player Skipping when cold