Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Quick Stereo ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004 | 04:29 PM
DIE DIE DIE

Default Quick Stereo ?

Couldn't find my answer by searching so... I am gonna get a new head unit/deck for X-mas. I am wondering if theres anyone on here that has bought just a new deck and kept the stock speakers? My question is....."did the sound of the stock speakers improve at all"?

Reason I'm asking is because I did this in my last car.. (98 acura CL) and the stock bose speakers sounded ALOT better when I got a new deck.

thanks, ryan
Old 12-10-2004 | 04:57 PM
SB Track

I haven't tried on the Z, but on my old car just changing the headunit to an Alpine deck greatly improved the sound. I imagine it would in the Z too. Of course.. new speakers all around and an amp followed on that car haha.. It's addicting.
Old 12-10-2004 | 05:29 PM
DIE DIE DIE

haha yeah I'm sure I'll eventually get new speakers too, but was just curious about this. Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else?
Old 12-10-2004 | 05:53 PM
manofsteele2003

Yeah I noticed a big improvement in sound after replacing the head unit. I think because almost all aftermarket head units have more watts per speaker and have alot more tunibility than the stock head unit.

I will eventually get new speakers all the way around, but for now I think it sounds pretty good.
Old 12-10-2004 | 06:29 PM
hndumafia

my stock speakers blew after a few weeks of being used with my pioneer h/u. fortunately i had already ordered my speakers and had an amp waiting for replacement.
Old 12-10-2004 | 08:15 PM
DIE DIE DIE

great thanks guys! I'm probably gonna get a pioneer. I like theredisplays the best and any 50x4 deck is about the same in quality.
Old 12-11-2004 | 04:37 AM
340HP

Default !

Originally posted by DIE DIE DIE
Couldn't find my answer by searching so... I am gonna get a new head unit/deck for X-mas. I am wondering if theres anyone on here that has bought just a new deck and kept the stock speakers? My question is....."did the sound of the stock speakers improve at all"?

Reason I'm asking is because I did this in my last car.. (98 acura CL) and the stock bose speakers sounded ALOT better when I got a new deck.

thanks, ryan
The head unit is very important. But even the stock one is adequate to get great sound out of it.

SPEAKERS are most important in the system - 90% of the time, provided you have a DECENT head unit (like the stock one).

If you want to get a quick sound improvement, make sure to pick speakers that are high efficiency (at least 90 db per 1 watt / 1 meter), so that you don't have to get external amps, and are made of some type of polymer, not paper. Separates do wonders as well (with crossovers that is).

Don't forget a sub (with a small amp). There are TONS of Z-custom enclosures on eBay (priced at $150 a pop). Two drivers and a small amp will give you enough SPL.

If you want the whole world to hear your setup, you need to do something special all-around, and spend mega-bucks. If you want something better just for yourself (interior-wise) a good speaker upgrade will do the trick.

Don't get any fancy wires that cost more than the speakers or the stereo. They're bullsh!t. 16 or 14 gauge will sound great (from Radio ****).

Remember that most music is stolen, off the net, in the form of MP3. That format is severely restricted in terms on quality. You can't hear it on sh!tty systems, but if you put an MP3 CD in an audiophile setup, your ears will hurt. Keep this in mind when shopping around for a system upgrade.

Also, XM and Sirius are like MP3. They are not only compression methods, but also REDUCTION methods. You lose a lot of programme material through all three of these formats. Use FLAC or Monkey's Audio to transfer loss-less music files. WMA using WMP 10 also has a loss-less algorithm.

To show-off a great sounding system, use original CDs or DVDs. If you can afford a DVD-a or SACD system, it will blow your mind. The sound is mesmerising.

Last edited by 340HP; 12-11-2004 at 04:40 AM.