Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What does "Z" mean to you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 10:41 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How i view the 350Z....

To me, this car isn't a super car and it isn't super fast to me either.

Who cares about top speed and V8s (rather get V8s with luxury cars)?! As long as the usable range on the speedometer is a thrill, there's no complaint here.

This car has the look of an expensive and fast sports car, but it's much more simple than that.

The motive I see is that this car is more affordable than other sports cars, and there isn't really a performance trade off either - than it not being classified as a "super car."

I tell everyone when I get this car that it isn't the fastest car, but it is designed for driving pleasure and comfort. I tell them I got this car because of the engine - sweet sounding, fun revving, and much quieter at idle than other cars. Want to hear the sound? Rev it!

If I want more comfort, I'd shoot for luxury. But at 20, I'm sticking to sportiness and revving fun!
Old 06-17-2002, 10:44 PM
DIGItonium

Originally posted by Z CRAZY
This will be my third Z-car. My first was an 84 Turbo which still sits in the garage (now my son drives it when he's home from college). The second was a 91TT that was stage 3. I had planned on keeping it for a long time when I bought it. It became a distraction two years ago when my wife became ill with cancer, so I sold it.

The 350Z is a present to myself. My wife passed away last year and I have decided that it is time for me to have my sports car again. I will keep it for many years.

Oh my gosh... that's too sad. Get this car, and put a picture of her in your car. Both her and the Z will become your symbol... so not only will you be enjoying the drive, but she'll be there next to you while you drive!
Old 06-18-2002, 04:40 AM
Touring6MT_Z
Charter Member #49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the original 240Z when it first came out while I was in high school. By the time I had a job, the 280Z was too expensive for my budget. Later in life, family and kids come first which dictate 4 door sedan, stationwagon, minivan, better and bigger house, family vacation, kids college saving, retirement saving. A sport car always got bumped off the top priority list.

Now, all those priorities are in good order in my life. This time it is my turn. See my top 10 reasons for the 350Z here =>

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....=6040#post6040
Old 06-18-2002, 05:09 AM
a_p

Wow, some touching stories...

When I got my first car in 1990, I wanted a car with great handling, ABS and lot of horses. With a budget of $10-15,000, I chose a used '87 BMW 325 two door coupe. Although it had around 120 HP and weighed a ton, the rear wheel drive makes it a fun ride, especially with bare tires in the rain. I had all sorts of weird electrical problems like the clock display with random flashing displays, windshield wipers that ocassionally turn on with the turn signal, half of the dashboard lights occasionally turn off, etc. Incidentally I also had to replace the automatic transmission ($3,000), change the head gasket, replace the radiator for overheating problems... I finally decided that the ultimate driving machine should have been called the Bug.

My next car was a hand-me-down '95 Nissan Maxima SE. That guy cruises at 190hp, and is responsible for 3/3 of my speeding tickets. Except for my odometer which got stuck (and took 3 attempts by the dealer to fix), the car has been running flawlessly. The car however does feel a little top heavy, and I miss the rear wheel drive.

I'm hoping that the first new car that I'm purchasing with my own cash will have at least 100hp more than my 95 Maxima, and this will also be my first car with manual transmission.

When choosing the Z, I looked at the Acura CL, Audi TT, IS300, and G35 Coupe. In terms of performance and options for it's price, this car is the best deal. Sorry I won't consider buying a mustang or camaro.

Once this car rolls in, I'll be out on the driveway washing it nearly every weekend... Just like back when I was in high school...
Old 06-18-2002, 05:32 AM
Samurai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1970 240Z Used
1973 240Z Used
1975 240Z Used
1978 280Z Used
1984 300ZX New
1990 300ZX New
1994 RX7 - Damn, they discontinued the Z
2003 350Z Finally !

Except for the RX7 I have always driven Z's...and my last name starts with a Z
Old 06-18-2002, 05:45 AM
Pooh2002
Charter Member #30

In 1969 or therabouts, I convinced the girl I was dating to buy a 240 Z. I had a 1969 BMW 2002 at the time. Test drove the Z and liked it. Girl lost her job, left town, and had to cancel the order. In 1985 went car shopping for something sporty for my wife. Looked at Z's again, but decided the Supra was a better car for us -

In 2001, Supra 16 years old with 120K on the odometer, so began looking for a replacement. Other car was a 2001 3.2TL Acura, so didn't want 4 doors, wife didn't want a CL, too much like the TL. Looked at BMW's, 320 SLK's, TT's, Boxsters, nothing connected. Then saw the 350Z on Nissandriven.com. That was it. Shopped around to find a dealer a bit less greedy than the rest in the Bay Area and have been waiting impatiently ever since.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:05 AM
chicago_z

I was watching HDNET do some coverage of some auto show. They had the Porsche, Ferrari etc, and then they showed the 350z.

I'm not a car freak but it was the first car I saw in a long long time that i thought looked really hot (and really nice in High Def).

Later on I surfed over to the Nissan site expecting it to be a 40k+ car and was blown away by the price.

If it was not for that damn price I would be having a lot more relaxing summer, touring around in my used 94 Probe GT (my first car) that I just paid off!

I'm going to love this car when I get it.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:12 AM
Seattle_350Z

Default Will it still have the.....

mystic a year from now when you tell people...oh I got a Z vs. Boxster, Bimmer, or Mercedes?
Old 10-12-2002, 05:57 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Default Self-indulgent bump

Just curious to see what the Next Generation members of my350z.com have to add to this topic.

Hopefully, it won't be an endless string of posts about putting new "shoes" on their Z...
Old 10-12-2002, 07:14 PM
rouxeny

That post above has made my head hurt.

I always like the 240, seemed unique to have this Japanese sports car way back in the day beating the pants off America's best and costing less to boot! Even today, the original 240 has some serious styling. When Nissan came out with the restored 240Z, my interest was again piqued. Why, I asked myself, would somebody pay big bucks for an old car?

I later took a ride in my friend's 300ZX TT and it was simply amazing. By far the quickest car I had ridden in up until then. When the Z concept came out, I began to follow along. When the prices came out, I was sold.

As to familial roots, this is the first sports car to be owned in my entire family, ever.
Old 10-12-2002, 09:32 PM
knihc2008

my dad's first car going into college was a 280zx. and it looks like my first car going into college will be a 350z. it's a family thing.

to me, z=fresh hotness. fast, affordable, and awesome. too sexy for me.
Old 10-12-2002, 09:46 PM
nodeel

To me, the Z was always affordable coupe that would WHOOP THE PANTS off the competition on the track.

It meant class busting sports car at an affordable price.

True...the 90-96 Z was a sports car, but man oh man was it pricey....and although it was my favorite, i think it was the least "Z" out of all the cars from back when they used to be Datsuns. I think Nissan took a nice step forward starting the 350Z at $26,500.....but I think they should have gotten a LITTLE lower with the price....a $25,500 price would have absolutely KILLED the competition....its the range the new RX8's are going to occupy, and well, the departing F-bodies. I would have GLADLY paid less if it meant fewer cushy options and models that are out there, I mean come on, is a DVD Nav system REALLY necessary on a sports car? Automatic Climate control and leather seats? Give me a break....all I want is an aeordynamic torpedo w/a blistering V6, and a functional spoiler. Something that would have been lighter would have been nice too....the Z needs a SERIOUS diet....

Last edited by nodeel; 10-12-2002 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:03 AM
Traffic

After puttering around for 4 years in a Jetta with 115HP, the Z to me is . . . . glorious!!

I know in 20 years I'm going to be like those old guys with pictures of their Chevelle SSs and Hemi Cudas that they owned when they were 24 or so and had to sell when they got married. So it is with the Z.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:45 AM
zeeing

I've been lucky to have a steady stream of Zs in my life (240.280, 300) and the 350Z is a continuation. The Z appeals to me because is fun, reasonable and singular of image. In its tradition no other cars matches it, in that is always been a quality sporting experience for the middle class budget.

The Z appeals to the sensible part of me, while taking me to the edge of driving excitement and allowing for fun mods along the way.

Z on!
Old 10-13-2002, 08:08 AM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

It's great to see so many folks with Z heritage. When I was handed the keys to my Z last Monday, it was the culmination of years and years of lusting. It was a long time between my dad's 240Z and now, but my 350Z is the proud continuation of a great history.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:41 PM
fdao

To me, the Z embodies passion, styling, racing heritage, and a yearning for driving. It's a car that I have always admired, but could never afford, until now.

The new 350Z embodies all that I've mentioned, and now I am honored to be a part of that long tradition, envisioned by Mr. K.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:20 PM
Enforcer

Well it all started when a friend asked me to rebuild the engine in her 280ZX...At that point I became a Z lover and have 2 280ZXs.

The reason I like the Z is because it gives you the ultimate feedback in driving and control. Sort of like being one with the road. And because it is an affordable high quality product.

Enforcer
Old 10-13-2002, 04:36 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Labels like "Z," "Nissan," "Toyota," and "Camry" mean almost nothing to me. I could not care less about herritage, either. We always have to be careful not to confuse symbols like "Z" with real things. The real thing is the car we pay 26-30 odd dollars to buy. And I think we all know what we want, so I won't bother reviewing.

Yes, the Z's have been great cars, and a lot of people love them. But that doesn't mean they always will be. It's up to us to be vigilant, or Nissan might make a crappy car and just call it a Z. No car company, commercial, or magazine will do that for us.

I can sum it up very simply. I want a car that's so good, it doesn't need an advertizing campaign. And that's the only thing that scares me so far.