Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

interior quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 05:39 AM
rai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior quality

not that it's going to change my mind or anything. I have been so blown away by the style and price/performance of the Z that I have not given much thought to the interior Quality. I know nissan is making money on the Z and that the $26K (low price) has to be for a reason that is cost savings somewhere. So by now a lot of people have sat in the real car (not the show car) so can you give us a summary in general?

Lets say there is a spectrum of interior quality from the best 25% (audi, lexus, bently, etc..) and the worst 25% (I don't know the exact ones but take my mom's old K-car for example) that leaves the middle 50% with your accords,golfs, etc. Is it safe to say the Z will be in the middle group?
Old 06-18-2002, 06:59 AM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Here's my assessment after yesterday:

1. The "grainy" black plastic that makes up a significant portion of the interior (dash, center console around shifter on back towards the cupholders, behind the seats) is on par with that found in an E36 3 Series, a material that I like.

2. The covering for the vast expanse of each door is a nice, spongy, almost suede feel/look that is MUCH better than if it was all hard, lifeless plastic. It works well and has a "sports car" feel to it.

3. I'm OK with the center nav console material after seeing it in person (the plastic that looks like grey pigskin/football), but would be happier if it was simply a smooth finish instead. The good thing about the "pigskin" texture is that it will hide scratches well.

Dislikes
1. The carpeting in the Touring Daytona I saw yesterday was pretty nasty and so had such a high pile it looked like a **** carpet. I feel kind of ripped off by the trunk mat which was the nastiest of the three mats.

2. The Leather seats were kind of dissappointing. I'm hoping that the first few batches of leather are just an anomaly, because frankly, the leather was a bit on the hard and non-pliable side. Not even as soft as the leather on my former CL-S which I didn't consider to be of the highest (read: Audi) quality. The seating surfaces were smooth and had no "grain" like the Burnt Orange pre-production pics we saw so many months ago. My favorite leather right now is that found in the Volvo S60 which has this beautiful grain and suppleness that I was really hoping for in the Z. I know, I know, it's a sports car, but one of my criteria for ordering the Touring was the factory leather.

Overall, for the price point, I'd definitely say the interior is in league with the Acura/Infiniti offering and nothing to be overly ashamed of. Besides, your passengers aren't going to be saying, "this is too plasticky." while holding on for dear life.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:19 AM
kevintari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, my 2 cents...

Definitely not a Lexus, Audi or Bimmer, don't even think about it.

Better than most current Nissan interiors.

I personally found the nicely appointed Accords (like the tricked-out Se-V6 with all the interior options) to be a good notch nicer than the Z.

A little too much hard plastic and some not-quite-flimsy-but-not-great-either lids on the nav and main cup holder area.

Doors were great, can't complain.

Brushed metal pices were awesome.

One of the nicest cloths seats I've seen.

Again, nicer than current Nissans I've been in, but not by a *great* deal.

Your mileage may vary...