Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scary azz problem with my Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 11:22 AM
OrangeZYa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Scary azz problem with my Z

I don't recall ever hearing of any problem anything like this, but I apologize if it's been posted before.

I was going to the bank today and started out of the parking lot of my apartment normally, then all of a sudden the car started lurching forward when I was giving it gas. At first I figured it was just the Potenzas giving me problems in the cold (even though it was only 35 degrees) so I shifted into 2nd and accelerated gently... same problem. This time I notice the slip light isn't coming on, so I'm not sure wtf is going on.

Eventually I noticed that the car did this every time the rpms hit 2.5k. I tried this all the way up to 3rd gear and it happened in the same spot for all. It wouldn't go any higher than this, and the tach would just bounce up and down while the car lurched (sort of like when you're first learning manual and you don't give it enough gas).

I got to the bank (like a mile away), turned the car off, then back on, and the problem went away. I'm still real worried about what this might have been, though.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:37 AM
1sick350

you should prob check with nissan dealers if u havent already. MAybe thaey can fix wat ever the problem was if its under warranty. Its weird how something like that would happen. Thats the first time ive ever heard of anything like that. Hope its not serious.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:15 PM
tyoung88

I had a similiar problem with my gf's Infiniti QX4. It would lurch around 2.5rpm and then bounce around. It turned out that the Mass Air Flow Sensor was faulty. Did you install a CAI or clean and re-oil recently as it's been proven that if enough oil from the CAI drips onto the MAS it could cause what you are describing.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:26 PM
mdacko

yeah sounds like the MAF or something electrical related to the MAF.

make sure none of the wires related to the MAF have come loose, if not, have the dealer check the MAF.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:55 PM
OrangeZYa

Thanks a lot for the help.

No CAI--my Z is stock except an aftermarket HU and grounding kit.

I'll take it to the dealer and have them check it out as soon as the snow stops (probably Monday ) and let you know.

In the meantime, does anyone know where the wires for the MAF are located so I can make sure they aren't loose? I would assume not since the car worked fine after I started it up again, but I don't have the factory service manual so I'm not sure where this is located.

Thanks again!
Old 01-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Jung918

it should be right after the air filter.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:36 PM
hunter164

Default Re: Scary azz problem with my Z

The car was in safe mode. It does that when the ecu thinks that there is a major issue. Was the check engine light on? When you shut the car off and turned it back on the system reset itself. It could have happened for a large number of reasons.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:49 PM
OrangeZYa

Default Re: Re: Scary azz problem with my Z

Originally posted by hunter164
The car was in safe mode. It does that when the ecu thinks that there is a major issue. Was the check engine light on? When you shut the car off and turned it back on the system reset itself. It could have happened for a large number of reasons.
No warning lights at all, oddly. That's why I was worried that something was wrong--it didn't provide any indication that there was a problem, save for not letting me get past 2500 rpm, of course.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:51 PM
hunter164

Default Re: Re: Re: Scary azz problem with my Z

Rare but not unheard of. The times I've seen it happen with no lights it has never happened again. If it does it is best to take it to the dealer while in safe mode if at all possible.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:53 PM
southern_info

Make sure when you start your car up in the cold to let it idle for like 1-2 minutes before pulling off, so all your parts can get lubricated and the oil won't be so thick either.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:59 PM
mdracer76
Banned

MAF
Old 01-21-2005, 05:00 AM
FairladyZ

Orange,

My car did the same thing once. Did you wash your car just before? I was lazy and ran through the autmatic car wash, and it happened.

I have never had the problem since. I even had the ***** to go back and try it again. Still never happened. I figure after the auto wash or any wash let the car dry a little, or just dont floor it until its dry.

I called my service guy and he said water prolly got into the MAF, let it dry and see what happens.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:23 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I think maybe a little water in the MAF or something that put the car into limp mode. So you limped it to the bank, then when you turned it back on the issue with the MAF was gone so the car returned to normal mode. If it doesn't happen often don't worry about it. It was just the ECU trying to protect your engine.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:34 AM
OrangeZYa

Thanks a lot all, that's a relief.

I didn't wash the car beforehand, it wasn't raining, and I'd actually just driven it home from class (it had been parked with the engine off for maybe 10 minutes before I started it up and this happened). It wasn't raining or anything either, so I'm not really sure what happened.

*puts on anti-flame suit* I actually stalled the car when I was moving from my parking spot trying to get cute and not give it enough gas/not paying attention. I'll assume that this could have caused the problem (even though I stalled it much more when I first got the car and was learning to drive it, I haven't done it for a lot of miles before yesterday).

Thanks again for all the help. I guess I won't worry about it unless it happens again.