Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

05 Reliability Issues

Old 01-22-2005, 02:25 PM
dv/dt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Reliability Issues

Hello all,

I've been a reader of this board for several months, and the time is approaching when I plan on buying a new car. Needless to say, I'm really attracted to the Z-- it seems like a great package for the price. However, I've been concerned about some of the reliability issues that the '03's and 04.5's have had. Can any '05 owner comment as to whether they've experienced feathering, excessive rattles, or grinding transmissions? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2005, 03:57 PM
ssc

'05 here, and no problems....i think when you research forums
like this, one may think that a lot of 350's have a lot of problems...in my opinion, i dont think that is the case. i think, many times, things get blown out of proportion, especially through this kind of media. besides, it is usually only the ppl who have the problem that tell the world...i think if all the ppl who have had no problems voice their opinion like the ppl who have had problems, i think you will have no doubts.
true, some 03's and 04's have had their share of problems but these are usually fixable... but i bet there are also a bunch of 03/04's that have had no problems at all.
buy the car, whether it's 03/04/ or 05...who knows, you may or may not have problems...in the end, i think some of these issues are a small price to pay for a great car for a great price.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:16 PM
ANXIOUZ

Right. Keep in mind that the only people here in the forums are Z lovers. We voice our complaints to each other because we love the car so damn much. Go to a S2000 or STi forum and you'll hear their "issues" talked about.

Not many people have 05's. And if they do, they haven't racked up any mileage yet. The only issue that is worth worrying about with the Z is the tire feathering. Nobody can confirm or deny that it happens on 05's yet since it happens near the 10-15k mile mark (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

The Z is a solid and reliable car. There are issues, but nothing that can't be fixed for free by the dealer under warranty. I have an 03 and haven't had any major issues. The dealer quickly fixed the minor things like windows grease, rear hatch release, seat bolsters, etc.. But all of that is soooo minor.

An 05 should be better off but I wouldn't count on it. You'd be plenty safe getting an 03 or 04.5 as well.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:40 AM
sokudo9l6

i have a question...i test drove an 05 6spd today and i had trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd. I did press the clutch all the way down to make sure i wasn't grinding and i still couldn't make the shift with one try. It took me several times to get it into 2nd gear! Has anyone else experience this? I thought it was my driving but when my old man test drove the car, he experience the same thing. Also...i notice the shifter rattle ALOT when at idle. It made a noise similar to a sounded made by a car without a Cat. Is that normal?

Last edited by sokudo9l6; 01-23-2005 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:37 AM
FLZ_Boy

Originally posted by sokudo9l6
i have a question...i test drove an 05 6spd today and i had trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd. I did press the clutch all the way down to make sure i wasn't grinding and i still couldn't make the shift with one try. It took me several times to get it into 2nd gear! Has anyone else experience this? I thought it was my driving but when my old man test drove the car, he experience the same thing. Also...i notice the shifter rattle ALOT when at idle. It made a noise similar to a sounded made by a car without a Cat. Is that normal?
The 1st to 2nd gear is a little tougher than normal to shift in my car, but it isn't tough enough to the point that I'm unable to get it into 2nd (just a tad stiffer than other gears). You might want to test drive another.

The shifter will rattle at idle. I've read on the forums that the tranny and shifter are directly linked versus cable shifters. I haven't explore if this is true yet, I figure I will find out sooner or later.

I would assume all new 350Z's will have a CAT, can't see why not especially in California.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:38 AM
FLZ_Boy

Originally posted by FLZ_Boy
The 1st to 2nd gear is a little tougher than normal to shift in my car, but it isn't tough enough to the point that I'm unable to get it into 2nd (just a tad stiffer than other gears). You might want to test drive another.

The shifter will rattle at idle. I've read on the forums that the tranny and shifter are directly linked versus cable shifters. I haven't explore if this is true yet, I figure I will find out sooner or later.

I would assume all new 350Z's will have a CAT, can't see why not especially in California.
My 05 is still running strong at 2,000+miles, just the OEM windshhield wiper might have to be replaced.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:13 AM
Zcarboy

Let put it this way Nissan sells close to 30K Zs a year. If they all had some of those horrible problems they wouldn't keep selling would they? I have a 2004 with 4,700 miles and no problems yet. I agree that some things do get blown out of proportion and the problems look bigger than they really are. Sometimes I am amaze by cars with a big name such Benzs & Bimmers have problems too and cost a lot more too.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:38 AM
Leslie

05 about 3wks old, just reached 1200 miles (we bought it in cali and drove it back, hence the mileage in such a short time) and we are driving it around more than we need to, but thats what its for right?

no problems whatsoever, we just love it.

Last edited by Leslie; 01-23-2005 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:43 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 03 has had only the tire feathering issue, and it is minor (I'm at 20000 miles with at another 5000 to go) as its only somewhat significant issue.

I get a window grease spot on occassion but I'll be darned if I'll have anyone tear apart the door to fix it; a quick rub with window cleaner & its gone.

All cars have some issue. The Zzz is very reliable for the vast makority of owners.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:40 PM
kimara

I had a 2003 350z touring and now I have a 2005 roasdster touring edition, and the clutch is much better on the 05 vs the 03. It is no comparison in the between the two. Every problem that I had on the 03 such as the window steaking, tire noise and very stiff clutch I have not experienced thus far on the 05. I only had 7,000 miles on my 03. Keepin mind that I only have 500 miles on the 05, but so far it is good. But the clutch is a major difference between the two. And the bose sound system is a major improvement. It was hard for me to replace the factory system, because it really sounded good. Since I had my sony in dash dvd from my 03 Z I decided to put it in. I really should have kept it factory. The 05 really sounds like the bose system that is in the 2005 Infiniti G35.

Last edited by kimara; 01-23-2005 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:21 PM
sokudo9l6

i know all newer cars will have cats. What i meant was the noise from the rattle of the shifter made the car sound like it had no cat. Anyways, about shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear...it does seem like i have to slam into the shiftgate in order for it to be in gear. I'm probably not use to driving a sports car...all the manual cars i have ever driven were econ cars and they require much less effort when shifting. I want to thank you for assuring that these are only minor problems that i can live with when i actually buy the car.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:08 AM
drift350

it's not a Honda or any other FWD car. the majority of front engine/rear drive cars have the shifter mounted directly to the tranny.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:31 AM
ANXIOUZ

Originally posted by sokudo9l6
i have a question...i test drove an 05 6spd today and i had trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd.
When were you trying to shift? I've found that giving it more gas (higher revs) seems to make shifting much easier. But you shouldn't need to redline to get into 2nd so I dunno what's up.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:44 AM
dv/dt

Originally posted by kimara
I really should have kept it factory. The 05 really sounds like the bose system that is in the 2005 Infiniti G35.

That's great to hear. So you think the quality of the sound system is much better for '05?
Old 01-24-2005, 02:13 PM
kimara

Originally posted by dv/dt
Originally posted by kimara
I really should have kept it factory. The 05 really sounds like the bose system that is in the 2005 Infiniti G35.

That's great to hear. So you think the quality of the sound system is much better for '05?
No exageraton, it is really worth keeping. I should have kept it factory. Just go to your local dealer and decide for yourself. You will be surprised in the improvement, 100%.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:01 PM
Racer Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got a 2005 Z last month and with 1000+ miles on car....No problems at all with tires, tranny, or any sort of Quality Control type issues.....from what I've been reading the car has improved each year since 2003.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:19 PM
Naples176

I have a 2005 Roadster with almost 2,000 miles on it and it is a great car. I do have a small problem with rough idle, and I did not like the clutch pick up point. I adjusted the clutch this weekend and now it is great.

I fully agree with other post here that you must keep in mind that people come here to solve problems (small and large) and therefore you see more problems as percentage than the total car population will have. My wife once had a car that she drove for 9 years that was rated as one of the worst cars ever made, and the only problem we had with was that it ate batteries. We sold it only because I wanted her to have a newer car.

I have had many cars over the years and the Z is one of most fun cars I have every owned. (I can not make my mind if I like the MGB I had in the 70’s or the Z more).
Old 01-24-2005, 07:42 PM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

To those for are concerned with the hard shift from 1st to 2nd gear, let me tell you something. I have an 03 and yes going into second was a pain for me for the first couple of years I've had the car. I always kind of hate that the car has so much low end torque and revs 1st gear so fast that I couldn't stand the jerks going into 2nd. But let me tell you this, the engineers at Nissan didn't make an mistake on 2nd gear it just a different type of transmission compared to say Hondas and Toyotas. Because after 2 years of driving and 26k miles I have mastered the gears and clutch. Driving is more pleasurable than anything. I especially love rev matching or doing a little heel-toe goin into a corner. This car is remarkable to drive. Love it love it love it!