Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

First cold weather test of a 350z

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 01:50 AM
FrankieZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First cold weather test of a 350z

Well , I finally get the Silverstone/Carbon Fiber base and I have to leave for an environmental camp with my students the very next day in the frigid White Mountains of NewHampshire .I debated whether to take it or not , but here in New England we just roll with the punches . The Z had 6 miles on it when I left.Temperatures reached down to 17 degrees . Wind chill brought that down even more . The Z started like a fine Swiss watch , each and every time . Driving those curvy mountain roads was like nothing I've ever done before . No car ever gave me the exhiliration and confidence that the Z gives you ! Warm up time was quick and easy .Then came the surprise snow. We had a record breaking early snow , 7 inches . I had to park the Z till the plows did their job . Here in NH plowing is an artform , done early and effectively , especially in ski country ( we presently have some areas open already ) . The snow wasn't expected or I wouldn't have brought it .After plowing, with factory tires, it handled itself well on the ice and snow as long as you didn't drive it like you stole it . I had no problem with traction ( I didn't want the traction control as an older and long time sports car owner , I don't like it on a sports car) . My BMW sedan has it and I can take it or leave it ! If you take it easy , start out slow , and stay in second or third you'll have no problems as I did . From reading the forum I was hearing all these scare stories about bad cold weather handling etc. - not if you know how to drive . The car is dependable , reliable , and very adapted to cold weather driving ! Just remember , it is a snow plow if you have more than 3 inches, so keep it out of the snow . People are probably saying he is nuts for using it in the winter . It's just a car so don't let it control you , it's the other way around .Drive it ! I won't take it out in snow normally because of rock salt here in New England , as they were not using any yet in the mountains , just plowing . And to be on the safe side when I returned to the lower latitudes I washed it and totally cleaned the undercarriage .When done it looked like brand new .So drive it this winter. Just avoid any snow of significance , keep her well cleaned , and take your time . The 350Z has what it takes to get you thru the winter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. A couple of the locals wouldn't let me go when I gassed up . They had to know all about it . And yes people were following me from the mountains to catch a glimpse of it !

Last edited by FrankieZZ; 11-10-2002 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-10-2002, 02:17 AM
Phatmitzu

Great choice of the color/interior. How much did the base cost you? were there any mark-ups? I am thinking of getting a Z in Jan 03.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:30 AM
FrankieZZ

Default Response to Arcadia , CA

Although I had to wait 6 months for it , it was well worth the wait . The base price was $26,800 +$300 for the dealer paperwork(standard here in the east). The dealer was great ! I asked him not to put the frontplate holder on and he did what I asked . He never tried to push any options , either . The only option I got was the front Z carpets . Well worth the $69 price . If you want to upgrade anything later at your own pace and price( such as a limited slip diff or anything)they are available. The msrp was what I paid. The deposit back in June of 2002 was I thought a bit high ($3000) but that is unusual around the country(more like $1000) from what I have read on forums .Also , I turned down the burnt orange leather interior and I am glad I did now . It looks much better(personal opinion) with the black carbon fiber interior . Good luck and you should get one,it's the bargain of the century in sports cars and I've owned a few of them .Enjoy it !

Last edited by FrankieZZ; 11-10-2002 at 04:44 AM.