Hardcore 350Z by 2007

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by agent_smith
I've heard about enough BS about the "supra rebirth" that I'm about to gag. I know that a bunch of folks think it's coming back but here is the actual car that Toyota is working on, and as motor trend has already stated they aren't even sure that it will be built. The suggested price on it was 150k by the MT article.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-200...-A-Concept.htm

The confusion is probably surrounding the LF-C car not the LF-A car that Toyota is working on. The LF-C car will be the next generation IS replacement. Here is an article about the LF-C.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-200...-C-Concept.htm
It's hilarious when people quote magazine articles as fact...

Do some research, you'll find that the MK4 played out almost exactly the same, Toyota denies it, everyone speculates V8, it comes out with a smaller engine and even though Toyota said they weren't.... And, the MK3, MK4, etc. when they were getting close to a production design, they put a license plate on it that says the same thing as the one they put on the last gen. when it was close to production.

Back to the GTR, why not Infiniti? As others mentioned they do that with cars here already anyway. And, Infiniti goes to Korea this year, and Japan in 2007.

Back to the Z, I just don't think it'll happen, mag.'s can speculate all they want, most of it's just to sell magazines. After all, the #1 objective of starting a business is making profit.

Back on topic now...this GTR and Supra stuff is stretching a little too far.

Last edited by nis350ztt; 03-12-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:03 AM
Mr_Q

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes sense to me.

After all Nissan will have the GTR then. All they need to do is detune it, pull off some bling, and rebadge it as a 350ZX or whatever.

Nissan needs to have it's performance parts divsion making cars. Hell, they make a "Nismo" trim level for their pickups! Doing a Nismo trim level for the Z makes sense and I think is needed to keep sales going.

I don't believe for an instant we will have a repeat of the 300z. All Nissan will do is give customers, who like the Z but want more power, an option box to check at the dealership.

So what if it costs 1,000s more than a stock Z. The Mustang Cobra has always cost 1000s more. The Z06 has cost 1000s more. The STi costs 1000s more. The M3 costs 1000s more. It's just a trim level for those who can afford it. You will still be able to buy the old Z in its affordable clothes.

But getting a Z that can muster the HP as more and more cars are doing now is a must. I'd totally buy a $37,000 or even $40,000 350zx. It's still $10,000 to $13,000 cheaper than an M3! Or any of the long list of power filled cars.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:08 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally Posted by Mr_Q
But getting a Z that can muster the HP as more and more cars are doing now is a must. I'd totally buy a $37,000 or even $40,000 350zx. It's still $10,000 to $13,000 cheaper than an M3! Or any of the long list of power filled cars.
I agree.. Nissan must come out a new Z with more hp to compete with the rest of the market. Even Toyota Avalon is making 280hp now, and it's a fwd sedan! The next Z better make 320hp or more to be competitive..
Old 03-13-2005, 07:29 AM
Watkins

Originally Posted by SB Track
Duh, they could release the GTR only as Infiniti here. They are doing that right now with the G35 sedans and coupes.
Duh, they sure could, but how many rebadged G coupes and sedans are going to be wearing a pricetag and performance numbers that the GTR will supposedly have?
In Japan and everywhere else, they are Nissan Skylines, only in America are they Infiniti.
I realize that, and again, the GTR was a Nissan recognized brand as their supercar. I will say it again, global name recognition, you don't want cross-branding on a car (the GTR) that was known the world over as a Nissan product.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Apexi350z
I agree.. Nissan must come out a new Z with more hp to compete with the rest of the market. Even Toyota Avalon is making 280hp now, and it's a fwd sedan! The next Z better make 320hp or more to be competitive..
Nice comparison. 2-door 3200lb RWD coupe vs a 4-door 3560 lb FWD sedan that only comes in automatic.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:07 PM
xray2

Hmmm, alot of speculation...

What Nissan probably will do is offer a stripper version of the track, but with real track performance.
I feel a legitimate 4.0 bump (not stroked) for the higher-end Z. This should bump the Z to 340 HP.
There will be no Base, just an enthusiast and maybe a luxury cruiser.

This will make the Z more like the Ford mustang in trim levels: one to sell many, and one to feed the performance freaks.

As far as the GT-R: Infiniti for sure, but with the 4.0 + turbos. This is will then be the competitor for Porsche that Ghosn is talking about. I bet this is a 450HP car.

-Xray
Note: these are forward looking statements, don't quote me if they don't come true.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Renesis

I say a rumor from a magazine that says Nissan Europe wants the Z to be lighter so Nissan is trying to shred some weight and maybe a little more power to make satisfy everyone
Old 03-14-2005, 12:13 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Well if they're saying its going to be on par w/ a GT3, its gonna need a little more than a HP bump or some weight savings.

My guess would be a turbocharged engine, possibly TT, (I don't see them bumping the displacement), stiffer suspension, lighter weight, and a loss of some comfort amenities. It would also come w/ some wider rims, GOOD rubber, etc.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:46 AM
xray2

Originally Posted by Armitage
Well if they're saying its going to be on par w/ a GT3, its gonna need a little more than a HP bump or some weight savings.

My guess would be a turbocharged engine, possibly TT, (I don't see them bumping the displacement), stiffer suspension, lighter weight, and a loss of some comfort amenities. It would also come w/ some wider rims, GOOD rubber, etc.
I just don't see a TT coming for the Z. People are clamoring for it, but it doesn't make sense economically for Nissan other than for the GT-R.
It would just bumpy up the Z price too high.

Stuffing in another .5 liters is pretty cheap by comparison, and netting 35-50 hp is sufficient to fend off the new Supra and other middling comers.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:56 AM
FairladyZ

"If we don't change the specific target customer" for the Skyline GT-R, "it will be a Nissan."

This says it all. If they keep the target market as it is, the price will be close to the same and you cant expect much. If they change their target market. It will be an Infiniti, prolly in the 40k+ range.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:11 AM
BigMoeTaki42

Haha, looks like I shoulda been here to keep the thread on topic . Anyway, I don't really know if this is legit or not, but I highly doubt they're confusing it with the new GTR. I'm sure Automoble knows a new GTR is coming out in 2007, I don't think they would have called it a hardcore Z if it was the GTR. And I'm sure this isn't just something to sell more magazines, I mean it's a little tiny box in the bottom corner of a page, not a huge cover story. I doubt a whole lot of people even saw it. Anyway, I think this Z will go on a huge diet and get some more power. I'm guessing it's going to be something you would want to take to the track rather than drive to work. But I don't think it's going to be on par with the GT3 (although that would be badass). I think they just used the GT3 as an example because it's a lightweight, hardcore 911. By the way, if anyone's wondering exactly where this article is, it's in the ignition section on page 30, at the bottom left hand corner.

As for the new supra coming out, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially with the LF-A concept running around. But who knows, it's all just speculation till toyota says somethin.

And as for what badge the new GTR should be, I'm not really sure. I mean, I think it should be a nissan cause that's the way it's supposed to be. But would I want plain old nissan people servicing my brand new skyline? No way. I guess it's the same thing with the Viper; it just wouldn't be "right" to have a Chrysler Viper, but I wouldn't want the same people who work on neons turnin wrenches under my hood.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:45 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally Posted by Armitage
Nice comparison. 2-door 3200lb RWD coupe vs a 4-door 3560 lb FWD sedan that only comes in automatic.
I was comparing the hp, not the body style, or the transmission type.. please re-read my post..
Old 03-15-2005, 07:57 AM
qirex

Of course nissan will release a hardcore model...its surprising they havent already.

the GTR WILL be banded an ininiti - at least in the USA thats been comfirmed.

the proof lies right in the quote, but none of you have yet mentioned it.

It says, hardcode like the 911 GT3. Hardcore does NOT mean high power. Rather it means, strip out al the crap that the boulevardiers demand, tweak the motor, throw in some track only bits, brakes, oil cooler, dry sump lubrication (doubt that one).

So what we'll likely get is the 300HP nismo motor, a REAL track ready suspension, an hopefully 3000lb weight.

the 911 Gt3 does have more power than its other NA siblings, but the real power brokers are the turbo and gt2 (rwd turbo).

The Gt3, is a rack focused vehicle, no back seats, much harder susp, tons of weight loss...aka a car or the "hardcore".

This is what the track model *should* have been from the outset.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:20 AM
dreamcar123

Hey Guys i just stumbled upon this forum as one of my friends has a 350Z and i would love to own one and maybe soon will if i ever make up my mind about what car to buy, but anyway. About the hardcore Z (now you dont have to beleive me if you dont want to) I dont know if this has anything to do with it but while waiting at MSP for new rims and tires to be put on his car a family member of mine witnessed Nissans "NEW" 350 being brought into the garage and uncovered. Although my cuz was not meant to see the car he is a family friend of the shop owner and was just told not to repeat anything he had seen, well he has a big mouth and called me screaming at me over the phone the second he got out of the shop.
Him:OMG Man i just saw the baddest A$$ car i have ever seen in my life.
Me: What?
Him: The New 350Z!!!
Me: Haha ok so whats so new about it?
Him: It pretty much looks the same but it comes Wide Body and with a supercharger putting down 360hp to the wheels stock.
Me: Torque?
Him: i dunno i never heard them discuss the torque, but that Bi*** is BAD!
Me: Alright man ill talk to you later, cya
So i wonder if this is what you guys could be talking about, if not then sorry about even wasting your time.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:39 AM
qirex

thats simply nissans marketing pitch this yer...they call it the new Z

...next
Old 03-15-2005, 11:29 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

The Z is good as it is right now because it's a freaking sweet car for $30k + / - $5k depending on ur model. If they release a $60, 70, 80k Z, why wouldn't you just opt for the higher end German cars. Personally I would take a Carrera S or GT3 over any Nissan / Infiniti any day. I can't even stand Nissan customer service for my $37k car!

Why wouldnt you opt for a German car? How about Japanese cars are more dependable?
Old 03-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by dreamcar123
Hey Guys i just stumbled upon this forum as one of my friends has a 350Z and i would love to own one and maybe soon will if i ever make up my mind about what car to buy, but anyway. About the hardcore Z (now you dont have to beleive me if you dont want to) I dont know if this has anything to do with it but while waiting at MSP for new rims and tires to be put on his car a family member of mine witnessed Nissans "NEW" 350 being brought into the garage and uncovered. Although my cuz was not meant to see the car he is a family friend of the shop owner and was just told not to repeat anything he had seen, well he has a big mouth and called me screaming at me over the phone the second he got out of the shop.
Him: It pretty much looks the same but it comes Wide Body and with a supercharger putting down 360hp to the wheels stock.
So i wonder if this is what you guys could be talking about, if not then sorry about even wasting your time.
With the Z being 3 years old, I would expect it to be an aftermarket car.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:35 PM
hbenet

IMO, they quoted the Porsche GT3, since this is the "purist/normally aspirated" version. If that is their logic, this "hard-core" version will not have Twin Turbos or Super Chargers.

Just like the Type-E long nose.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:24 PM
xray2

Originally Posted by hbenet
IMO, they quoted the Porsche GT3, since this is the "purist/normally aspirated" version. If that is their logic, this "hard-core" version will not have Twin Turbos or Super Chargers.

Just like the Type-E long nose.
Those were my lines of thinking for the hardcore as well. The GT3 is pretty stripped of creature comforts, but I bet they still bump the power for an able track star ( since this is looking to 2007). If it was 2006, then I'd agree with 300HP.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by dreamcar123
Highly doubt it, since the "hardcore model" is slated for release in 2007.

Quick Reply: Hardcore 350Z by 2007