Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

tire feathering problem in 05?!!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 10:46 PM
ryce4u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire feathering problem in 05?!!?

Does anyone know if tire feathering is a problem in the 04 or 05 model?
thanks in advance
Old 03-25-2005, 10:47 PM
capnfrantic

Why do you ask?
Old 03-25-2005, 10:48 PM
apexi97tsi

It's still a bit early for the 05's. I think i've seen a few threads for possible 04's feathering but the dealer/Nissan will not cover it.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:29 AM
Neo105

Originally Posted by apexi97tsi
It's still a bit early for the 05's. I think i've seen a few threads for possible 04's feathering but the dealer/Nissan will not cover it.
What kind of BS is that? Why don't they cover it? it's still feathering right?

*I'm talking about Nissan, Not about you apexi *
Old 03-26-2005, 06:14 AM
pyindeem

Originally Posted by Neo105
What kind of BS is that? Why don't they cover it? it's still feathering right?

*I'm talking about Nissan, Not about you apexi *
just get alignment done & problem solved.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:10 AM
bstansbu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why didnt I think of that!!!

Originally Posted by pyindeem
just get alignment done & problem solved.
ummmm, NO! That does not solve it. Pyindeem must be a salesmen at a local nissan dealership trolling our forum. hahaha lol

BEN
Old 03-26-2005, 09:44 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally Posted by bstansbu
ummmm, NO! That does not solve it. Pyindeem must be a salesmen at a local nissan dealership trolling our forum. hahaha lol

BEN
Profile says he does not own a Z and is a Mortgage L.O. (Loan Officer I think?) LOL
Old 03-26-2005, 11:36 AM
smiles

Yeah - my guess? This is going to continue happening. Nissan likes half-a$$ed fixes to problems. Tires wearing? Extend the warranty and realign - then when this happens again and the car is out of warranty - tell the customer to get bent. Seats wearing funny? Replace with the same $hitty seat covers. Same deal on the customer being told to get bent when the warranty expires.

If you're worried about it - stay away. I wouldn't buy a Z again - that's for sure. I'm tired of the dealer saying, "you can drive down the road and hit a pothole and knock your alignment out". Yeah - but thats an awefully big pothole usually resulting in bent wheels as well. Its B.S. - I've had 10 other performance cars and never an issue like this! So...what you are really saying is, this car's alignment is so sensitive, it can't withstand everyday normal use.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:57 PM
JonsilvZ

I've said this before, ITS THE DAMN SHITTY OEM TIRES THAT CAUSES THE FEATHERING!. I put over 12k miles on the Michelin tires and no tire issues. Currently have 24k miles and the leather seats still look new. I maintain the leather with lotion. No matter what car you have. If you dont maintain it,its going to wear much sooner.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JonsilvZ
I've said this before, ITS THE DAMN SHITTY OEM TIRES THAT CAUSES THE FEATHERING!. I put over 12k miles on the Michelin tires and no tire issues. Currently have 24k miles and the leather seats still look new. I maintain the leather with lotion. No matter what car you have. If you dont maintain it,its going to wear much sooner.

Agreed. I am only expecting to use the stock Shitenza's for the first year. Between a couple of track sessions, a few auto-x's, and a couple drag strip runs, this shoudn't be an issue.

BTW, feathering seems to be corrected by either replacing the tires or the suspension w/ an aftermarket solution in most cases.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:47 PM
ryce4u

Originally Posted by Armitage
Agreed. I am only expecting to use the stock Shitenza's for the first year. Between a couple of track sessions, a few auto-x's, and a couple drag strip runs, this shoudn't be an issue.

BTW, feathering seems to be corrected by either replacing the tires or the suspension w/ an aftermarket solution in most cases.

Actually replacing the tires and suspension won't fix the problem. it will just prolong it. I been reading around and there's no permanent cure for fixing it so far

JONSILVZ - What type of michelin tire do you have and how much do they run?
Old 03-26-2005, 10:17 PM
FLZ_Boy

I had my stock tires till 6k, it didn't show any signs of abnormal wear. I changed it out for better dry and wet traction tires.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:25 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ryce4u
Actually replacing the tires and suspension won't fix the problem. it will just prolong it. I been reading around and there's no permanent cure for fixing it so far.
From what I've read on this board, most people who have swapped tires or suspension rarely ever see it re-occur.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:52 AM
daddyz

My 04 track has had the famous tire feathering! At 5800 miles i noticed it. Then at 7455 miles they replaced my tires.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:31 AM
smiles

Originally Posted by JonsilvZ

First off - there isn't an exact 100% fix for this problem. Replacing tires with a different type and having it go away has been your experience - I can probably find a person on this board who has replaced with Michelens and still has this problem.

Secondly - the seat issue has nothing to do with leather seats - it is a cloth seat issue, and the fabric is sub-par. Nissan created the TSB - not me. Before you go slamming me for the care I take of my vehicle (because trust me, I can honestly say I am as **** as anyone on this board) - know a thing or two about the problem.

And just for record - the only car I've had more problems with than this Z was a loaded 2003 M3 I bought new off the showroom floor. Its a BMW, so that's not saying much.

Last edited by smiles; 03-27-2005 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:10 AM
pyindeem

Damn... that's sucks.. I thought tire feathering thing was a done deal after the 03.. oh well , looks like you got to change the tire and suspension right away after you buy the car. mind as well get a nismo coils & go directly to discount tires spend 3-4k that you shouldn't have to if nissan would have fix the problem in the first place.

No. I don't own a Z (for some of you who 's about to talk more s.h.i.t.), I am reading this board to just educate myself about the car.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:55 AM
apexi97tsi

My cousin has an '03 Enthusiast, bought some Volk gt-7's and Toyo Proxies, and had horrible wear on the inside. Nissan would not cover it because he had aftermarket wheels and said that his wheels are the cause for the abnormal wear. But everyone and their grandma knows that is total B.S!
Old 03-28-2005, 07:51 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Armitage, i've seen the same. Heck, i've seen some just swap out tires and it stop. If you swap out tires and upgrade the shocks/springs, sway bars, and lower rear toe you should not have any feathering (even though I don't think all of this is necessary).
Old 03-28-2005, 10:05 AM
King Tut

Originally Posted by smiles
Yeah - my guess? This is going to continue happening. Nissan likes half-a$$ed fixes to problems. Tires wearing? Extend the warranty and realign - then when this happens again and the car is out of warranty - tell the customer to get bent. Seats wearing funny? Replace with the same $hitty seat covers. Same deal on the customer being told to get bent when the warranty expires.

If you're worried about it - stay away. I wouldn't buy a Z again - that's for sure. I'm tired of the dealer saying, "you can drive down the road and hit a pothole and knock your alignment out". Yeah - but thats an awefully big pothole usually resulting in bent wheels as well. Its B.S. - I've had 10 other performance cars and never an issue like this! So...what you are really saying is, this car's alignment is so sensitive, it can't withstand everyday normal use.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:05 PM
griffon5

Default 2004 Tire feathering / Road rumble Intolerable

I recently replace all the rubber on my 2004 performance Z at 9500 miles. I would not put up with the road roar any more. Contrary to what some others have mentioned, there was noticeable road roar at higher speeds. Right after I had the tires mounted I took the car in to have a 4 wheel alignment at a nissan dealership. I spoke at length with them regarding this. My expectation is to get more than 9500 miles out of a front set of tires especially when I measure the tread to the left of the tire feathering and it was at 8/32nds. Time will tell If this is the fix, however, I served notice, If this started to shread the "NEW SHOES" I was going to leave my car with them until they could guarantee it was fixed. I also did not appreciate the fact they tried to blame it on all the pot holes I SUPPOSELY HIT. I paid for it this time. I won't pay for it next time.

Quick Reply: tire feathering problem in 05?!!?