Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Ever hit that exact speed where...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Sr. Panza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever hit that exact speed where...

Have any of you guys ever been cruising on a particular highway and hit that 'just right' speed where your car gets into this rhythm and begins this bouncing motion that gains momentum until you either slow down or speed up? Now, i'm not talking about the infamous 'bounce' that some of us experience due to the suspension on the Z. I'm talking about that up and down motion that increases if you keep your throttle steady at just the right speed. (kind of like a sped up merry-go-round) I imagine it has to do with the way the highway is constructed and the speed you are travelling at as you go over certain sections. It's only happened to me a number of times, but some of those times the motion has gained crazy momentum and I've felt like the car would bounce off the road. Anyone else experience this? Can anyone explain how it works?
Old 03-28-2005, 04:20 PM
BKMC

This takes us to our next lesson kids.....dont do crack....
Old 03-28-2005, 04:26 PM
orhanz33

Originally Posted by BKMC
This takes us to our next lesson kids.....dont do crack....
there's no hope with dope
Old 03-28-2005, 05:20 PM
Sensation350Z

drugs destroy dreams
Old 03-28-2005, 05:57 PM
350Zum

As a matter of fact . . .

NO
Old 03-28-2005, 06:06 PM
Mantis3024

I can get that when I'm going really slow in first. Makes my car look like a lowrider
Old 03-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Is it when you're going over a bridge or raised roadway? That happens to me on bridges and stuff sometimes. It's the way they pre-construct sections of the road and it sags a little where they connect them.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Mantis3024

I think hes talking about your car rythmically rocking back and forth like a seesaw. Next time youre in a parking lot, get the car rolling and tap the gas pedel on and off lightly. It can't be too good for your drivetrain I guess
Old 03-29-2005, 12:14 AM
jreiter

Hmm... my only experience with that was with the nasty stock suspension. Once I got the Koni shocks on my car I never had it happen again. I always just attributed it to the under-damped stock shocks, especially since it was fixed with new shocks.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:59 AM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sr. Panza
Have any of you guys ever been cruising on a particular highway and hit that 'just right' speed where your car gets into this rhythm and begins this bouncing motion that gains momentum until you either slow down or speed up? Now, i'm not talking about the infamous 'bounce' that some of us experience due to the suspension on the Z. I'm talking about that up and down motion that increases if you keep your throttle steady at just the right speed. (kind of like a sped up merry-go-round) I imagine it has to do with the way the highway is constructed and the speed you are travelling at as you go over certain sections. It's only happened to me a number of times, but some of those times the motion has gained crazy momentum and I've felt like the car would bounce off the road. Anyone else experience this? Can anyone explain how it works?
just say no!
Old 03-29-2005, 07:35 AM
E_Z_HOES

PUahahha... this tread is funny.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:00 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some sections of 101 that are made up of short concrete sections, at about 20 mph it seems like you are going over the cracks rhythmically, this is even worse in shorter wheelbase cars with stiff suspension. As you get going faster, the car more or less glides over them and the sensation goes away.

Chris
Old 03-29-2005, 08:01 AM
BOOFER7
Banned

Its sounds like you've reached the reverberant frequency of the earth ala Nikola Tesla
Old 03-29-2005, 08:07 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of this on cars with failing shocks that can no longer absorb the return force of the spring. On certain roads at the right speeds the car picks up a resonant bounce that becomes self-perpetuating. It's called porpoising (think about a swimming porpoise that jumps out of the water as it swims. It's the same up and down motion). I've never experienced it in the Z though.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:22 AM
arlingtonz

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:30 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by arlingtonz
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Ha ha ha...Dang Brett!!! Feeling a little feisty today? Oh and nice quote. You can't go wrong with Adam Sandler flicks!
Old 03-29-2005, 08:37 AM
rxtrom

I loved Billy Madison, pretty funny back in the day
Old 03-29-2005, 08:48 AM
Sr. Panza

Originally Posted by kcobean
I've heard of this on cars with failing shocks that can no longer absorb the return force of the spring. On certain roads at the right speeds the car picks up a resonant bounce that becomes self-perpetuating. It's called porpoising (think about a swimming porpoise that jumps out of the water as it swims. It's the same up and down motion). I've never experienced it in the Z though.

Man, what a rough crowd! I'm glad to see at least a couple of people know what i'm talking about. Thanks kcobean. It seems to happen to me at about 70 - 72 mph on some sections of some highways. I've experienced it in different cars as well as in the Z with good shocks.

BTW - I never do drugs while driving!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:02 AM
Destiny350Z

I'm not sure if I have ever hit the right speed that you are speaking of!! Now I have hit the right speed that scared the crap out of me and made me wanna slow down!!!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:03 AM
kcobean

Man, what a rough crowd! I'm glad to see at least a couple of people know what i'm talking about. Thanks kcobean. It seems to happen to me at about 70 - 72 mph on some sections of some highways. I've experienced it in different cars as well as in the Z with good shocks.

BTW - I never do drugs while driving!
If it's as violent as you say it is, you should videotape it and take it to the dealer. It would be interesting to see what they say about it. Might be good enough to get you a good discount on some Nismo S-Tune parts!

Quick Reply: Ever hit that exact speed where...