Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you shake it when your done?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 05:45 AM
WhiteZed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTNPU Z
Guess you guys haven't seen the post of what the S.F. Bay Area has to deal with:

https://my350z.com/forum/the-lounge-off-topic/117846-omfg-this-is-what-its-like-where-i-live-pic.html

I'll gladly trade gas prices with any of you.
Hey Guys
whats the differance between the 3 fuels ?? octane ratings??
regular ?
plus ?
v power ?

what does the # 2 mean in the diesel??

weird.....
Old 04-15-2005, 05:48 AM
tekk

$1.99 for premium 93.. but yes, i shake it.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:35 AM
mpol99

It took me ~$45 to fill up my Z a few days ago!!!!!!! That is NUTS! I always thought of the lifting the hose....... Now that I see I'm not the only one thinking that way I'm gonna start doing it, hehehehehehe

Who cares how you look to onlookers! You are getting an extra $0.25 to $0.50 worth of gas!!!!!!!

EDIT: $2.60ish for premium in Chicago last time I filled up.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:54 AM
RxZ

Originally Posted by WhiteZed
Hey Guys
whats the differance between the 3 fuels ?? octane ratings??
regular ?
plus ?
v power ?

what does the # 2 mean in the diesel??

weird.....
The difference is how easily the fuel burns. Lower octane, 87, will burn easier than the 93 octane will. In a low compression car this is fine, but in a high compression engine (such as in the Z) the increased pressure inside the combustion chamber can cause the lower octane gas to ignite early, this causes the knocking sound that everyone warns about. The 93 octane doesn't burn as easily, so it ignites when it is supposed to. You still get a complete burn of the gas, so don't think that because it is harder to burn that you lose power, once it does burn, it is still gasoline, it will EXPLODE!!! That said, if you use the lower grade gas, the ECU in the Z will retard the firing and change up the air fuel ratios and such in order to try and prevent the knock, the flip-side is that you lose power while the car is doing this. Hope this helps, and I like you am feeling the pain of the pump As far as the names of the different grades of gas at Shell or anywhere else, to my knowledge they are just marketing ploys to get you to use their gas. The name brand gasolines do have more cleaners in them though, so they will keep your engine cleaner than the cheapo gasolines.

edit: I don't know what the Diesel #2 is. Hopefully someone else can answer that one.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:52 AM
1_BAD_ZZ

It's like a winter blend. 50/50 Mix. Most commonly used in colder months were diesel is prone to "gel" up. This is where the diesel freezes and becomes a gel which will cause the motor to stall. I drive an 03 F-250 Powerstroke for a winter beater
Old 04-15-2005, 08:59 AM
CatastrophZZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much fossil fuel is there left in the earth? how long 'till we run out at the current rate? say 20 yrs? or 1000 yrs? any idea? j/w
Old 04-15-2005, 10:15 AM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I shake everything when I'm done.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:41 AM
EdgeOfSanity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2.29 for 93 here, still too expensive.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:50 AM
absoluturq

its like 2.20 here
but in turkey where i used to live its like 2.5 bux per liter
Old 04-15-2005, 11:38 AM
330R

They say if you shake it more than three times then you're playing with it

$2.45 for 93 octane here
Old 04-15-2005, 01:40 PM
KenWH

Originally Posted by seanrulz
It seems like Toyota and Honda will have hell lot of sales on their hybrid model lineups.
Ha! It's still less than half of what my homeboys pay in Korea. 60 liters of gas for $100! That's $6.25 per gallon!
Shall we all walk in 5-10 years from now on?
I keep hearing Lexus has like a 1yr. waiting list for the new hybrid RX400h suv.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:46 PM
KenWH

Originally Posted by CatastrophZZ
how much fossil fuel is there left in the earth? how long 'till we run out at the current rate? say 20 yrs? or 1000 yrs? any idea? j/w
If I recall, either Discovery Channel or TLC did a special on this and "experts" are saying 30yrs most likely, yet some were saying it won't happen till 50yrs.

Either way, MAJOR global economic changes will be occuring during our lifetimes from this.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Monsta

Received 261 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-Stalker
Actually lift the hose up and allegedly the remainder in the hose will drain out.

Z-Stalker
How do you do that? Do you shut down the pump and then open the valve(handle)? If you just hold the hose and do nothing else, there is no gas flowing past the nozzle. I've always wondered about this but never thought to try it.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:14 PM
kamz

Originally Posted by Z-Stalker
Actually lift the hose up and allegedly the remainder in the hose will drain out.

Z-Stalker
+1, I do this all the time
Old 04-15-2005, 02:29 PM
bixby

Originally Posted by R1_Wolf
$3.29, where in the bay are you, I just paid $2.89 a couple of days ago in San Jose. And all my vehicles take super... Stupid high compression engines
Yea, Shell is always a lot higher than others, then Chevron, 76 and so on. I love Shell gas but I refuse to pay those prices. I just paid 2.86 yesterday.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Hogstar

Originally Posted by Monsta
How do you do that? Do you shut down the pump and then open the valve(handle)? If you just hold the hose and do nothing else, there is no gas flowing past the nozzle. I've always wondered about this but never thought to try it.
If your through pumping the amount you paid for then just hold it open and pull the hose out and up so the inside will drain out. Gravity will do the rest! Be happy!
Then SHAKE IT!
Old 04-15-2005, 04:15 PM
CAN0802

Originally Posted by RxZ
The difference is how easily the fuel burns. Lower octane, 87, will burn easier than the 93 octane will. In a low compression car this is fine, but in a high compression engine (such as in the Z) the increased pressure inside the combustion chamber can cause the lower octane gas to ignite early, this causes the knocking sound that everyone warns about. The 93 octane doesn't burn as easily, so it ignites when it is supposed to. You still get a complete burn of the gas, so don't think that because it is harder to burn that you lose power, once it does burn, it is still gasoline, it will EXPLODE!!! That said, if you use the lower grade gas, the ECU in the Z will retard the firing and change up the air fuel ratios and such in order to try and prevent the knock, the flip-side is that you lose power while the car is doing this. Hope this helps, and I like you am feeling the pain of the pump As far as the names of the different grades of gas at Shell or anywhere else, to my knowledge they are just marketing ploys to get you to use their gas. The name brand gasolines do have more cleaners in them though, so they will keep your engine cleaner than the cheapo gasolines.

edit: I don't know what the Diesel #2 is. Hopefully someone else can answer that one.
#2 Diesel is the low sulfur Diesel fuel.

Last edited by CAN0802; 04-15-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:37 PM
WhiteZed

Originally Posted by RxZ

what i really ment..
not how fuel works, but what is the differance between the 3

over here we have 4 fuels
regular which is rated @ 91 ron
premium which is between 93 and 95 *depends on the store*
ultimate which is 98 ron *highest rating in the country*

and super *for older cars, its a lead replacement* thats rated @ 95 ron

all diesel here is low sulfur
Old 04-15-2005, 06:41 PM
Jim Yandell

Gee, I wonder if women shake the gas nozzle the way us guys do. After all, we have been doing it all of our life. LOL
Old 04-15-2005, 06:57 PM
zzz350

Yeah, the bay area prices are the pits, the liberal agenda has us paying thru the @$$ in massive taxes per gallon.

Quick Reply: Do you shake it when your done?