Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

So much greed in this World---->Evanston Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 04:24 PM
mpol99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down So much greed in this World---->Evanston Dealership

I talked to the f.....g owner of the dealership that has my $1,000 deposit. There IS a tiny line on the back of the contract that says they can keep the $$$ as liquidated damages... I am screwed....

I talked to the owner & tried to convince him to let it go.....

I'm a college student paying for the car of my dreams with my own money.... I can't afford to loose $1,000 for NOTHING.

The GREEDY DICK not only will not give me NOT EVEN HALF, NOTHING, but he was a B*TCH about it. The only way is if I find them a buyer BEFORE the car gets there. They will not lose a penny on this car when they sell it, but he still won't give me a penny back.

Man, this world is filled with too many GREEDY A$$HOLES

I undersdand what I signed F*KED me over & it was my fault for not fully reading what I signed......so this is just a post to get my frustration out....... Disregard my ranting...
Old 11-21-2002, 04:31 PM
Stone Z

Default Re: So much greed in this World---->Evanston Dealership

Originally posted by mpol99
You got that right!
Old 11-21-2002, 05:33 PM
Kurt

Bummer...

Couple other things you can do:

1) file a claim in small claims court - they might just settle to avoid showing up downtown to say how they screwed the little guy

2) insist that they document the "liquidated damages" to you in writing and refund the balance (you could see this by seeing what they sell the car for to someone else). Based on how that looks, re-consider option 1, or even demand they split the EXTRA money they'll probably make re-selling your car!

3) reserve a "insert dealername"nissansucks.com and threaten to put up a website documenting your experience.

However, you also have to consider their side of the story. You did back out of an agreement, so they are a bit exposed by this. It's fair to call them greedy, but it's also fair that they be reimbursed for the costs to them (if there end up being any) of your backing out without warning.

Good luck, man.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:36 PM
Dean

If you used your credit card for the deposit, utilize the credit card's buyer protection policy. Call customer service for advice. It's cheaper than getting a lawyer.

I once had a used car dealer pull the same stunt. I didn't argue with the a**hole for a second. Instead I called MasterCard, disputed the charge, and was never obligated to pay the stealer's charge.

Dean
Old 11-21-2002, 06:33 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

If you have to, just sue him. That's exactly what the courts are made for.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:50 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

: 3) reserve a "insert dealername"nissansucks.com and threaten to put up a website documenting your experience.

If you want to reserve the name and put up a site, that's OK. It's free speech. But if you threaten them, that's extortion, and they could take you to court for that.

You're best off just playing it straight, and you'll almost certainly win a case like this. I'm pretty sure they'd settle anyway.

And also, don't threaten to take them to court. Ask for you money back, and if they say no, let the court tell them. That's the safest way.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:35 PM
mpol99

This is kind of a stupid question......

How do I file a claim? Will I need a lawyer? Is this going to cost me? & if so, will it be worth $1,000?

Is there a simple number I can call to file this? Anyone know good lawyers that can help me out with a free consultation & then maybe receive their fees upon collection? I have never done this, obviously.

Thanks for Help guys!!!

Marcin
Old 11-22-2002, 11:09 PM
bigtul4u

Thumbs up

not sure i have the story right but will assume you pre ordered, put a deposit down, then cancelled. big deal. i did the same thing here in daytona beach.......i ordered 2, both in june at seperate dealers. one with, the other without stick..............at the time i was not sure so i figured i would cover myself. anyhow, i decided to take the one the way god intended this car to be.......with stick..haha..................called the other dealer and told him to refund my card for the 1500 that i decided to pass. he says he cant cause its a pre order, non refundable,,...blah blah blah................so big tul says to him, look you little runt pion, have your friggin boss call me( no this is not a bad jerky boys impression)...............i now get the manager on the phone and say, look dude, do the refund today, or else i come in oct21st when the car is due to arrive, pay for the dam thing, then sell it myself for a nice little profit the next day......pain in the *** but i would have. or, i told him, he could give me my dam money today and then mark the hot ticket item up 5,000 over msrp(since it would now be theres to do so) and make a huge profit..........................amazing how he saw the light and was glad to refund my deposit.....................greed, its a beautiful thing!!!!...........ya know, for them even trying me like that, i should have just bought it , then sold it for what i had into it just to give it to them in the *** like they do us.............OUCH!!!!!...............hope you enjoyed my experience.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:10 AM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Well I may have been wrong before. The BBB says car deposits are non-refundable. Someone else says there's a federal law to the contrary.

So you might just look up a lawyer in the yellow pages and ask if you'd have a case here. Just ask the lawyer your questions, like if it's worth it. He might say no, but if you're nice and everything, I imagine he'd just tell you something worthwhile.

To file a small claim you just have to call your city or county court and ask them about it.

PhoenixINX has a good plan I think. Give the dealer a choice, and make them realize they have more to gain by refunding you.

Then again, you can always carry around a big sign on a Saturday saying they won't refund your money But I wouldn't do that!
Old 11-23-2002, 01:23 AM
xray

Listen to Porschekiller. Liquidate damages are going to be impossible to prove. Make sure you show up with ebay or some other classifieds that prove the cars popularity and value. If it was sitting on the lot..then you're screwed; advertising, interest, blah blah.

-Xray
Old 11-23-2002, 02:49 AM
Phatmitzu

DAMN! I am a college student too, so I know exactly how you feel about that $1G deposit........hope you get your money back, but dont do anything stupid tho(shoot out rampage in the dealer), money can always be earned later..life cant.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:24 AM
Nitro13

Originally posted by Phatmitzu
DAMN! I am a college student too, so I know exactly how you feel about that $1G deposit........hope you get your money back, but dont do anything stupid tho(shoot out rampage in the dealer), money can always be earned later..life cant.
I had to chuckle when I read this. Although, I know it isn't a funny matter. But think about it, we had postal workers some years back that would go, well, "postal", then the rash of school shootings and office shootings. Are car dealerships next for the way the treat consumers?

Let's hope not. Stay cool everybody!
Old 11-23-2002, 06:18 AM
Boomer

Default Re: So much greed in this World---->Evanston Dealership

Originally posted by mpol99
I talked to the f.....g owner of the dealership that has my $1,000 deposit. There IS a tiny line on the back of the contract that says they can keep the $$$ as liquidated damages... I am screwed....

I talked to the owner & tried to convince him to let it go.....

I'm a college student paying for the car of my dreams with my own money.... I can't afford to loose $1,000 for NOTHING.

The GREEDY DICK not only will not give me NOT EVEN HALF, NOTHING, but he was a B*TCH about it. The only way is if I find them a buyer BEFORE the car gets there. They will not lose a penny on this car when they sell it, but he still won't give me a penny back.

I undersdand what I signed F*KED me over & it was my fault for not fully reading what I signed......so this is just a post to get my frustration out....... Disregard my ranting...
Report the dealership to NNA as well. Tell them your problem and ask them to intervene. Even if you don't get help, it will be documented. Ask them to open a file on the problem and get a file number and don't let them say there's nothing they can do because they can if they want to. Be polite, but insist they give you a file number.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:36 AM
sschmuve

How about all of our 7,400 members, call the dealership. We can all politely ask this guy to refund the $1000. His phones would be going crazy. I can't believe this guy is being a di_k over that kind of money. As if the Z will sit and rot on the lot. I'll be suprised if he couldn't sell it within 2 weeks.

Come on guys...Lets do a telephone campaign for mpoll99!
Old 11-23-2002, 07:26 AM
VR3

I would ask for the deposit back again and if they say NO then threaten to sue and go to the local t.v. station's, like ch. 2 's investigators to publicly expose their greed. Then see what the dealer says then.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:05 AM
AdamLotz (Z FIEND)

Honestly? I don't think the 350Zs are selling as well as they thought they would.

My dealer happily refunded my deposit, and then marked up the car $10,000. Everyone was politely suggesting that I buy the car and then sell it on my own.

But you know what? I did a little looking around... another local dealer now has two Zs sitting out in front on the lot. There were 3 in the newspaper classifieds. I even saw one FS on the side of the road... I think things have gotten worse since the G35 Coupe came out - not only are a lot of people liking the infinity more, but at least around here - the nissan dealers are trying to mark the Zs up and the infinity dealers are not - so a loaded infinity is CHEAPER than a loaded Z !!

Good luck getting your deposit back, that sucks that they don't want to... If you're going to a "big" college, ask around and see if they have any kind of legal services available to students, sometimes they do. But I think the truth is, if you signed something that said non-refundable - I'm not sure you'll get anywhere. I would definitely pursue the matter though, don't let them keep your $$$!!